2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gosh Pianoloverus - I didn't remember this was a public forum when I voiced my frustrations. Sorry. I always seek out what you say about things to other people and think highly of you opinions. I'm sorry I said that publicly.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by StanSteel:
Originally posted by mrenaud:
[b]
Originally posted by valarking:
[b] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by pianoloverus:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by apple:
<strong>Lyn, I am working on Bach' Prelude and Fugue in A minor for Organ, transcribed by Lizst for piano. It's about 14 pages long and SEEMS easy to learn because it's pretty much all onthe white keys. It is both beautiful and pretty difficult.
If your advanced enough to learn this piece, I can't understand how you would possibly think that the key signature could be a determining factor in its difficulty![/b]
Yes, it IS a determining factor.[/b]
I don't think so. Neither sight-reading nor learning that piece would be more difficult if it were in E-sharp major.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do you know a lot of pieces that were written in this key? :rolleyes: Do you see the connection?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just noticed that! LOL

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
While I have never been a total Liszt fan(atic), I have many times felt he is at his best in his transcriptions. I have played (at) many of his transcriptions of the songs of Schubert and I find, with only few exceptions that these transcriptions
1) reveal a complete respect and love for the originals
2) are sometimes the highest form of creative cleverness - adeptly interweaving the vocal line with something close to the original accompaniment,
3) are joys of pure pianism where showmanship for its own sake often takes a (very) back seat to the essence of the music
4) focus on the melody/vocal line

Examples : "Auf dem Wasser zu singen" "Du bist die Ruh'" "Der Müller und der Bach" "Sei mir gegrüsst" "Ständchen" "Litanei" "Trockne Blumen" "Der Lindenbaum" etc., the list could go on and on.

Also, his transcription of Mendelssohn's "Auf Flugeln des Gesanges" is another of the same ilk. His opera paraphrases, well that's another story.

If you don't know some of these transcriptions, they really are worth investigating - even more so when you know and love the originals, can't sing worth a darn, but love to be able to use them as a means of musical expression.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
T
T
Lyn wrote,
Just curious. Heard a friend of mine play an organ piece of Liszt's ... something on a theme of B.A.C.H. It's one of the pieces he has to play for his FAGO exams in July. I was wondering if there exists a piano transcription for this piece (or is it even possible for this one to be transcribed for the piano ...)
Actually, there is a piano transcription of this piece. Like a lot of Liszt it has tons of notes, but it is quite playable with practice. My brother is an organist and said the organ version is harder; I said, "Of course, you have to worry about what your feet are doing in addition to your hands!". The piano version is available in a Kalmus edition K09367, "Miscellaneous Piano Works, Volume III".

Tavner
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by StanSteel:
Originally posted by mrenaud:
[b]I don't think so. Neither sight-reading nor learning that piece would be more difficult if it were in E-sharp major.
Do you know a lot of pieces that were written in this key? :rolleyes: Do you see the connection?[/b]
No, I don't. And that's because there's no connection whatsoever between the key signature and the difficulty of a piece. So if it were in E-sharp major, what would it matter?

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
D
D
I think he meant that there's no such key as E sharp minor

Dave

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Dave_2003_G:
I think he meant that there's no such key as E sharp minor

Dave
D'oh!

I know that there's no such key, but if there were, it had three sharps and four double-sharps. But it wouldn't make the piece more difficult to learn, which was exactly my point.

Actually, there is technically an infinite number of possible keys.

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
Learning something like a key that does not exist would be difficult for me even with one less sharp.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission