2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Starting at measure 22 (in Alfred Masterworks edition) I'm having a few problems. This is the "Tempo I" section where there is a ff marking at the passage with all the chords starts. In the first measure there is a B natural octave in the left hand with an F-sharp octave in the right. Trouble is, the left-hand octave is placed a millimeter before the right hand's. However, when I count the beats it looks like it should line up perfectly. Anyone know how that particular part should be played? Left hand octave first and then immediately right hand or both together?

Also, in the 3rd measure (and a few subsequent measures) there is a D and E mixed in with the chords for melody, but they also come in a fraction before the chords in the same hand. Is this just for clarity or do they really need to be played an instant before the chords? Any help with this would be appreciated, as I can't really learn the piece until I resolve this issue. wink

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Clarity. Follow the notated rhythm.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
OP Offline
So I'm making it more complicated than it is, right? Those left-hand and right-hand octaves are supposed to line up, and those melody notes go WITH the chord?

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Deus ex Pianoforte:
So I'm making it more complicated than it is, right? Those left-hand and right-hand octaves are supposed to line up, and those melody notes go WITH the chord?
Yes.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
OP Offline
Great. Thanks for the replies. NOW I can start this beautiful piece...

OP Offline
...after I get one other thing straight. :p

So I can see how the melody notes are part of the chords, but these octaves are still baffling me. See the thing is, that there is an eight note rest in the left hand directly below a right hand octave. (This is the first measure of the Tempo I section, by the way.) Anyway, there is a left hand octave before this rest, and if you were to draw a line upwards with a ruler, this octave would come right between the two chords in the right hand.

Does that make any sense at all? I wish I could post a screenshot of this measure but I don't have a scanner and can't find a free pdf of the piece online. The thing is that this left-hand octave that lands in between the right-hand chords appears in several measures, but it has different fingering each time. Sometimes the fingering would pretty much be impossible if I tried to play the right-hand and left-hand exactly simultaneously.

Rhythmically I suppose it would make sense to play them together, but this rest that is aligned with the right hand and the fingering really makes me wonder.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
The confusion is about the notation of the triplets against non-triplets. In that measure, the B natural octave in the left hand is not part of the triplet figures, but is a regular eighth-note, following the preceding dotted quarter in the melodic line. However, the F sharp octave in the right hand is part of the triplet accompaniment, and so falls after the left hand's octave. And no, they are not played together, in my opinion.

T
T
My edition (Boosey & Hawkes) lines up the octaves at the end of bar 22 (and other similar ones). The editorial notes to this edition do not comment on a synopation in rhythm in the autograph here as suggested by wr. I think that the Alfred Masterworks edition intends to nudge the notes to one side for clarity only and not to indicate rhythmic difference. It sounds like slightly sloppy editing because the end result gives rise to your question and also to wr's perfectly legitimate interpretation of a rhythmic difference between the triplets and the octave melody.

However, I do not think Rachmaninoff intended there to be a rhythmic difference here. This section, entirely based on these pesante triplets does not seem to make much sense with a subtle rhythmic kick in the octave melody. Rather, rhythmic unity drives forward this section.

I feel more confident in this analysis also because in all 14 recordings I have of the piece, the octaves are played in time with the triplet chords.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
wr:
The confusion is about the notation of the triplets against non-triplets. In that measure, the B natural octave in the left hand is not part of the triplet figures, but is a regular eighth-note, following the preceding dotted quarter in the melodic line. However, the F sharp octave in the right hand is part of the triplet accompaniment, and so falls after the left hand's octave. And no, they are not played together, in my opinion.

Hmm. In edition I have (Schirmer) this passage is notated as entirely triplet-based, both the melody and accompaniment, so there is no ambiguity or confusion. Where the melody notes coincide with the chords, they are notated with 'sticks down' at certain points and thus perhaps give the visual impression of falling slightly before; this is merely a notation convention to make for ease of reading. There are quite a few sections in Rachmaninoff's Preludes where triplet and duplet rhythms occur simultaneously[1] and should indeed be made clear, but this isn't one of them. And as timbo77 notes, various recordings would seem to confirm this too.

-Michael B.
[1] Opp 23/2 and 32/1 are the ones that first come to mind.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Deus ex Pianoforte:
...after I get one other thing straight. :p

So I can see how the melody notes are part of the chords, but these octaves are still baffling me. See the thing is, that there is an eight note rest in the left hand directly below a right hand octave. (This is the first measure of the Tempo I section, by the way.) Anyway, there is a left hand octave before this rest, and if you were to draw a line upwards with a ruler, this octave would come right between the two chords in the right hand.

I also have the Schirmer edition of these Preludes, and the melody octaves are not always in the left hand, in spite of the register in which they are played. Starting at the Tempo I, measure 22 :

First chord (RH) C# F# B C#
second chord (beat three, LH) C# octave
third chord (last triplet of beat 4, LH C# octave)

Measure 23:
first chord (beat 1, RH) C# F# B C#
second chord (beat 4, LH C# octave

Measure 24:
first chord (beat 1, RH) C# F# B C#
second chord (last triplet of beat 2, LH) B octave
third chord (beat 3, LH) C# octave,

etc., etc.,

Timing is never determined by how notes in one stave may - or may not - line up with the notes or rests in another stave. Timing, as you should know, is always determined by counting note - and rest - values in the time signature of the piece.

I still don't see the problem that you are encountering, however. All the rests in this measure and in the following indicate that the accompanying triplet chord figures do not sound on the beat where there is a rest; To me, if looks very straightforward: four beats to a measure, all in triplets (making a total of twelve triplets per measure) with the triplet being silent when the melody octave is played, either by the right hand or left hand.

Nowhere in my score do I see a "left hand octave before a rest" I see a LH (sometimes RH) octave under and above a rest, simply indicating that the triplets going on over and above the melody are not sounded on those beats so that the hand involved can play the octave melody.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Okay, now that I've looked at it again in the cold light of day rather than late evening, I think that melody octave should most likely be played in sync with the triplets, in spite of the dotted quarter preceding it in the melody line. It does seem to me that playing it as a regular eighth would possibly help separate the melody from the accompaniment at that spot.

Does anyone have easy access to the critical edition of the preludes that came out last year? That might shed some light on the ambiguous notation.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
wr:
...in spite of the dotted quarter preceding it in the melody line.

You are indeed correct that dotted quarter is a tad misleading; it should of course be a quarter note tied to another quarter followed by an eighth (with a triplet bracket over this and the preceding quarter note), but this would be a bit of a mess to read given the triplet accompaniment activity going on at this point.

Does anyone have easy access to the critical edition of the preludes that came out last year? That might shed some light on the ambiguous notation.

Is the edition you refer to the one published by Boosey & Hawkes[1]?

Hmm... could be time to write a quick note to Santa smile

-Michael B.
[1] Rachmaninoff Preludes (Authentic Series)

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
The critical edition I mean is the one published by Russian Music Publishing, and distributed by Bärenreiter-Verlag. They are expensive hardbacks, with extensive notes and lots reproductions of manuscript pages. I've not actually seen these for sale to individuals anywhere - some libraries have them, but they often are not in circulation and aren't supposed to be allowed out of the library. I lucked out with the Etudes-Tableaux because people at the library weren't paying attention when I made the interlibrary loan request for it, and I got to take the volume home, which is where I discovered I wasn't supposed to have it. Fortunately for them, I'm not the type that marks up library books, or spills drinks on them, or worse, steals them.

http://tinyurl.com/24dhre

Boosey is publishing paperback urtext performing versions of some of the volumes, but the preludes aren't out yet (I'm assuming they are on the list of things that will come out in this form eventually). The Etudes-Tableaux are.

http://tinyurl.com/2cf3hs

I did a comparison of the Etudes-Tableaux critical edition to the Dover and Universal editions I have, and found the Universal to be reliable, but the Dover had quite a few discrepancies.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Oops! I meant to say that the International edition was the reliable one, not Universal. Sorry.

OP Offline
Ok, so I just checked my Schirmer edition and they have this LH octave lined up perfectly with the RH octave.

In the Alfred Masterworks edition, in measure 22 and similar measures the LH octave is slightly to the left of the last eighth rest in the LH and the RH octave. Now I would normally attribute this to a confusing editing job, but they assign a different fingering in these similarly printed measures.

For example in the first measure it directs the pianist to play a RH F# octave and play the top note of the LH B natural octave with 4 and the bottom note with 1. It's almost impossible to play an F# octave with your right and and simultaneously play a B natural with your fourth finger. In measure 23 there is also a RH F# octave and LH B natural octave, but this time it directs the pianist to play the notes with the 2nd finger, which is obviously much more practical.

So I'd be completely willing to play these octaves simultaneously, if it weren't for this impossible fingering. That's why confusion still lingers.

OP Offline
This fingering issue make sense to anybody?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
wr:
I've not actually seen these for sale to individuals anywhere - some libraries have them, but they often are not in circulation and aren't supposed to be allowed out of the library.

It looks like the Critical Edition of the 24 Preludes is available to anyone willing to part with a rather hefty €195 according to www.baerenreiter.com , whereas the only other Rachmaninoff volume displayed on their website is indeed the Etudes-Tableaux at a wallet-busting €238. The B&H version of the same edition is about a tenth of the price... so well worth the wait for their cheapskate Preludes as well smile

Michael B.

OP Offline
Forget it guys, I've mastered it.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission