2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
i'm curious what the people here know about the event i speak of in the title... i am studying with a professor who told us something very intersting about this story in masterclass last weekend... it involves argerich... smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wasnt it that she was judging the competition, and when the other judges wouldnt let him through she got really ****ed off because she thought he was really good?

E
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Pogorelich was eliminated very early, and Argerich refused to the other judges decission. She had no choice: Either you accept the decission or you leave country.
And she had to literally leave the country with her mother and first daughter, and army guards. Because Warsaw pact was still on, and people were tired from dictators and politics, they saw Revolution in Pogorelich. Every concert of the Competition was watched on video beam outside by many people.

I read this in many interviews and I tried to put it together.

E
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Oh, would you mind telling wath the professor told you?

Thanks.

S
S
Well, I would say that pogorelich's interpretation of Chopin is somehow unconventional. It is very common that a competitor with suc a strong personality like Ivo Pogorelich would make a stir and conflict of opinions among jury. Even Fu tsong(one of the jury members at that scandal) still strongly disagreed with his intepretation of Chopin.

CSY
K
K
Originally posted by ecm:
Pogorelich was eliminated very early, and Argerich refused to the other judges decission. She had no choice: Either you accept the decission or you leave country.
And she had to literally leave the country with her mother and first daughter, and army guards. Because Warsaw pact was still on, and people were tired from dictators and politics, they saw Revolution in Pogorelich. Every concert of the Competition was watched on video beam outside by many people.

I read this in many interviews and I tried to put it together.
this is true.. I'm from Croatia, where Ivo was born and I read one interview with Ivo, and he said something like this: "Many people don't know that organization of the competetition took back Nikita Magaloff and other members of the jury from train.. They said to jury: if you will let Pogorelich to the final-then you have to leave jury.. Unfortunatly, only Martha Argerich was brave enough to leave Warsaw and to say what she thinks...

kreso
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am going to see Pogo live in November! He's playing Chopin's Op. 9 No. 2 nocturne plus the Liszt sonata, Chopin's 3rd sonata, and Scriabin's 3rd sonata!

I don't know what the meaning of life is- I'm too busy to figure it out.
K
K
Originally posted by Contrapunctus:
I am going to see Pogo live in November! He's playing Chopin's Op. 9 No. 2 nocturne plus the Liszt sonata, Chopin's 3rd sonata, and Scriabin's 3rd sonata!
Hmm are you sure about this program? It seams to be too long.. I know that he played last autman in Croatia this program: Chopin 2 Nocturnes op.62/1 and op.55/2 (Pogo never played op.9/2, maybe as a student, but never on the stage) and Chopin Sonata no.3. Second part-Scriabin Sonata no.4 (I think) and Rachmaninov Sonata no.2 in b flat minor.. But I've got message on Pogo's fan club:
What I read (about the roque d'antheron) didn't precise any reasons for cancelations, and I guess that he won't come were you ask if it's in 2006...
That bad news...

So check out abotu this recital! (sorry for bad news-I hope he will not canceled..)

kreso
E
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Kreso, vo koj grad si go gledal Pogorelich?
Toj nikad ne doagja vo Skopje, Makedonija.. frown

Oh, I heard also that he cancelled all his 2006 concerts..

I've never gotten around to hearing Pogorelich's recordings, but it sounds like I really should. Any recommendations of a cd where his individuality really shines?

start with gaspard de la nuit!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Or, if you can get hold of it, his Chopin Concerto no. 2 with Abbado is stunning.

S
S
Well, the Chopin concerto in my taste is too distorting...
I prefer her Ravel Gaspard de la Nuit and his tchaikovsky piano concerto no.1 with Abbado.
His scarlatti sonatas also do shine!

CSY
K
K
Originally posted by ecm:
Kreso, vo koj grad si go gledal Pogorelich?
Toj nikad ne doagja vo Skopje, Makedonija.. frown

Oh, I heard also that he cancelled all his 2006 concerts..
Dear ecm, I'm from Croatia.. I haven't heard the program that I speak about, but he performed it in Rijeka and some other Croatia's town (can't remember exactly..) and also in Salzburg.. But I've heard Pogo 3 years ago in Zagreb where he played Beeth op.78 and op.111 in first part and Scriabin Two poems op.32 and 2nd Sonata op.19 and Rachmaninov Moment musicaux op.16 nos.5 and 6, with no encores...

kreso
K
K
Originally posted by Sokolov_thelegend:
Well, the Chopin concerto in my taste is too distorting...
I prefer her Ravel Gaspard de la Nuit and his tchaikovsky piano concerto no.1 with Abbado.
His scarlatti sonatas also do shine!
All of his cds are great, but for the begining I suggest new compilation "The Genius of Pogorelich" by Deutsche Grammophon-2 cd set with some of his greatist performances..Here you can find it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref=pd_bbs_1/103-5035429-8991856?ie=UTF8

sorry I wrote wrong replay

kreso
K
K
Originally posted by Shosti:
I've never gotten around to hearing Pogorelich's recordings, but it sounds like I really should. Any recommendations of a cd where his individuality really shines?
All of his cds are great, but for the begining I suggest new compilation "The Genius of Pogorelich" by Deutsche Grammophon-2 cd set with some of his greatist performances..Here you can find it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref=pd_bbs_1/103-5035429-8991856?ie=UTF8

kreso
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by kreso:
Hmm are you sure about this program? It seams to be too long.. I know that he played last autman in Croatia this program: Chopin 2 Nocturnes op.62/1 and op.55/2 (Pogo never played op.9/2, maybe as a student, but never on the stage) and Chopin Sonata no.3. Second part-Scriabin Sonata no.4 (I think) and Rachmaninov Sonata no.2 in b flat minor.. But I've got message on Pogo's fan club:
What I read (about the roque d'antheron) didn't precise any reasons for cancelations, and I guess that he won't come were you ask if it's in 2006...
That bad news...

So check out abotu this recital! (sorry for bad news-I hope he will not canceled..) [/QUOTE]

I thoroughly checked into that, and his manager said that he canceled all of his remaining European concerts for 2006, but that he will still be doing his American tour. He's canceling for health reasons, and he wants to be well for the American tour. Oh, and I checked the programme and it's Scriabin's 4th sonata instead of the 3rd, but everything else's the same. Yes, he's playing Chopin's 9/2. smile

I don't know what the meaning of life is- I'm too busy to figure it out.
K
K
Originally posted by Contrapunctus:
Originally posted by kreso:
[b]
That bad news...

So check out abotu this recital! (sorry for bad news-I hope he will not canceled..)
I thoroughly checked into that, and his manager said that he canceled all of his remaining European concerts for 2006, but that he will still be doing his American tour. He's canceling for health reasons, and he wants to be well for the American tour. Oh, and I checked the programme and it's Scriabin's 4th sonata instead of the 3rd, but everything else's the same. Yes, he's playing Chopin's 9/2. smile [/b][/QUOTE]

Oo sorry then, I didn't knew that he plays op.9/2.. laugh Btw. I've heard from his "teacher" ms. Marina Ambokadze (the very good friend of Alisa Keseradze) that he is going to play Rach 2nd and Prokofiev 3rd concertos. He played them already before, but he didn't play with orchestra for a long time...

kreso

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission