2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 17 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I've most frequently heard :

Po go' re lich

with the accent on the second syllable.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Here\'s Richter\'s Recording

This is not my favourite of Richter's recordings of this work, but it is still very good.

This work has etched a major (or should I say minor wink ) scar on my psyche. From the very first listen way back when (Pollini and yes he does include the posthumous variations) this piece cut deep and getting to know it even better thru working on it has only deepened it's mark.

Depending on one's technical proclivities, the various variations can be relatively easy to difficult. I could not do (well) without the posthumous variations and recordings that omit them are unfulfilling to me.

This piece makes me cry every time-even just the first bar cuts so deep. I can almost cry just thinking about it; there are times when I can't even listen to it because it's effects are so powerful as to be overwhelming at times. Schumann in the minor is glorious agony.

K
K
i recommend the 4 cd set of schumann by wilhelm kempff on Deutsche Grammophon. that's my favourite schumann recording and it's not expenssive. i've heard many recordings of symphonic studies but this stereo recording of kempff is the most elegant of all...

M
M
I'm learning symphonic etude op. 13 no. 11, and just wanted to know your opinion about the difficulty of this particular variation. I find it relatively easy technically, but have read comments about the set being difficult throughout. Henle's difficulty for the whole set is 9. Where would you put this particular variation, and which variation is the hardest?

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Monsieur_Kashoff
I'm learning symphonic etude op. 13 no. 11, and just wanted to know your opinion about the difficulty of this particular variation. I find it relatively easy technically, but have read comments about the set being difficult throughout. Henle's difficulty for the whole set is 9. Where would you put this particular variation, and which variation is the hardest?
Twenty year old thread here. But someone else just created a new thread asking a similar question. From my perspective the most difficult Etude (not Variation) is #3. #11 is easier to control, but still challenging to play musically. Taken as a whole, the Opus 13 is definitely a 9.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
M
M
Thank you smile

S
S
A 9 well Schumann is rhythmically very difficult for me. Then all the 9th's and 10ths he loves become hard to play broken and yet do your best to make them sound whole. He along with Liszt have straight forward melodic line's but the harmonies then their execution can give you injuries. Its important to be experienced and also guide your tempos well. So many young pianist play his Transcendental Etudes too fast as per his metronome marking. They may say 120 but they are played at 150-160 and the beauty can be reduced. Claudio Arrau plays Mazeppa at 120 and its outstandingly brilliant while Lim plays it at 150-155 and its no longer so proudly majestic. Liszt wrote 42,24 finger for the measures 10+ and Lim plays them 4231 and 1324 because otherwise to play at 155 would be potentially injurious but it also loses the horse galloping affect Liszt wanted for this Etudes horse riding effect.

Serge P. Marinkovic, MD

S
S
This work is for advanced players. In UK, this is for fellowship diploma exam. It also occasionally gets appeared in major piano competitions.

I like Pollini's playing most.

There are 5 additional variations, and exploring how pianists put none, 1, 2, ..., all of them into the work (sequence) is quite interesting.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission