Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
97 registered members (90125, AprilE, anotherscott, brendon, 7uturu, BarryR, ando, 26 invisible), 1,187 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rule for playing grace notes #527169
11/16/03 10:37 AM
11/16/03 10:37 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content OP

New York City
If the grace note has a line thru it, does that mean it should be played on or played before the beat? Does this rule apply universally to all periods and composers or is it one of those rules that is not always followed? The piece I am playing with the grace notes is the Piano Blues No.3 by Copland.

Thank you!

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Rule for playing grace notes #527170
11/16/03 10:52 AM
11/16/03 10:52 AM
Iowa City, IA
Kreisler Offline
Kreisler  Offline

Iowa City, IA
Depends on style, context, value of the grace note, etc...

In Copland blues, I'd play it before the beat.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Re: Rule for playing grace notes #527171
11/16/03 11:18 AM
11/16/03 11:18 AM
New York City

New York City
Originally posted by Kreisler:
Depends on style, context, value of the grace note, etc...

In Copland blues, I'd play it before the beat.
But if "depends" on the things you listed above, why do some grace notes have lines through them and some do not? I assume the line through a grace note must mean something!

Re: Rule for playing grace notes #527172
11/16/03 11:56 AM
11/16/03 11:56 AM
Iowa City, IA
Kreisler Offline
Kreisler  Offline

Iowa City, IA
I guess grace notes with the little slash are often played a bit quicker and lighter, but it's hard to say. Different engravers print grace notes differently.

The problem is this: while there is a manual of standardized notation, composers don't read it, so different composers write things differently, and not always consistently at that. The best guide is always the ear.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
Re: Rule for playing grace notes #527173
11/16/03 03:07 PM
11/16/03 03:07 PM
california
aida Offline
aida  Offline

california
Grace notes with a slash through them should be played faster and lighter than those without a slash. As a rule, grace notes should be played right on the beat, not before the beat, but a lot of people tend to do the latter.

Re: Rule for playing grace notes #527174
11/16/03 03:14 PM
11/16/03 03:14 PM
Maine, U.S.
R
RachFan Offline
1000 Post Club Member
RachFan  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Maine, U.S.
I believe the grace note (with a line through it) is played before, not on, the beat. While it has no inherent note value per se, in theory, the time it takes to execute it should then be subtracted from the subsequent note to keep the rhythm exactly in tact. The major exceptions are the many Chopin short cadenzas that appear thoroughout his piano works (and similarly in the Romantic repertoire), which, given their length, cannot possibly be treated the same way as one grace note of no value. Rather, those cadenzas are not required to adhere to strict rhythm at all and are often played ad libitum within reasonable limits.

Re: Rule for playing grace notes #527175
11/16/03 04:18 PM
11/16/03 04:18 PM
Iowa City, IA
Kreisler Offline
Kreisler  Offline

Iowa City, IA
See what I mean...one person says on, one person says before. They're both correct. In Mozart, you'd usually play them on. In Liszt, you'd usually go before. In Chopin, most people play before, but Eigeldinger's book (mentioned in another thread) suggests on.

Que sera, sera...

www.pianoped.com
Re: Rule for playing grace notes #527176
11/16/03 05:31 PM
11/16/03 05:31 PM
New York City

New York City
Originally posted by RachFan:
I believe the grace note (with a line through it) is played before, not on, the beat. While it has no inherent note value per se, in theory, the time it takes to execute it should then be subtracted from the subsequent note to keep the rhythm exactly in tact.
Seems like the opposite would be true. If the grace note is played before the beat, then the next note would be on the beat and would not have to have anything subtracted from it to keep the rhythm. When the grace note is played on the beat the next note would automatically lose some time.

Re: Rule for playing grace notes #527177
11/16/03 07:46 PM
11/16/03 07:46 PM
california
aida Offline
aida  Offline

california
It's not my personal opinion that grace notes should be played on the beat. I happened to ask my teacher the same question last week. She said grace notes with slashes are played so short and swift that they don't really take time away from the subsequent notes. Therefore they should start on the beat. Graces notes without slashes are longer so they're subjected to discrepancies. I would go with Eigeldinger in Chopin because he's an award-winning musicologist who has done a lot of research in the composer's works.

Re: Rule for playing grace notes #527178
11/16/03 07:56 PM
11/16/03 07:56 PM
Maine, U.S.
R
RachFan Offline
1000 Post Club Member
RachFan  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Maine, U.S.
Sandra Rosenblum's scholarly book "Performance Practices in Classic Piano Music" mostly centers on the Viennese Classic era. Therein she says: "A small note played before the beat, taking its time from the preceding note but slurred to the following note in performance, is called a grace note. This name is also the nineteenth- and twentieth-century term for a small note that anticipates the beat." What she is referring to here is the grace note with the diagonal line through it, sometimes referred to as an acciaccatura (some would say incorrectly), as opposed to the more involved appoggiatura.

The "Harvard Dictionary of Music" in discussing the history of the appoggiatura points out that in the Baroque, there was flexibility in notation and rhythmic execution, but still governed by rules based on the melody, tempo and phrasing of the passage. After 1750 there appeared the "short appoggiatura", the forerunner of the grace note. In that era, the short appoggiatura was performed as a short note on the beat. This usually created a dissonance. This is the period too when the short diagonal line first appeared across the stem of the grace note. There were five rules on its use which we need not explore here.

In the 19th Century, according to the HDM, after 1800 performance of the grace note became anticipatory as opposed to be played on the beat. But some controversy still remains as to how it was to be executed exactly. In Modern music, it became the norm to "snap the grace note sharply onto the following note, so that it slightly anticipates the beat and imparts a decided accent to the main note."

I would still maintain that in Romantic and Modern music, no matter how quickly and lightly a grace note is executed, to any extent that it infriges on and robs any of the value of the principal note (even a portion of a second), then in theory (which is not always the same as practicality, I realize)that exact same amount of time must then be subtracted from the principal note for purposes of retaining rhythmic integrity. This would be impossible for any pianist to consciously calculate, of course; rather, it would happen intuitively, the same as in playing rubato, for example.

Re: Rule for playing grace notes #527179
11/17/03 01:36 AM
11/17/03 01:36 AM
Irvine, CA
mkesfahani Offline
500 Post Club Member
mkesfahani  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Irvine, CA
I believe and have always been taught that slashed grace notes fall before the beat and non slashed on the beat. This has consistently worked for me in all repertoire.

Mike

Re: Rule for playing grace notes #527180
11/17/03 02:43 AM
11/17/03 02:43 AM
C
Candywoman Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Candywoman  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C

According to Valery Lloyd Watts and Carole L. Bigler, in their guide, Ornamentation: A Question & Answer Manual, Mozart was among the first to use the symbol of an eighth note with a slash. They say it is simply an old way of writing a sixteenth-note. Likewise, the eighth note that is slashed twice is an old way of writing a 32nd note. If the slashed eighth note is before a quarter note, it is played on the beat for its written value with this result: sixteenth followed by dotted eighth. If, on the other hand, it is placed before an eighth, the result would be two sixteenth notes. After 1900, there is more latitude in that the short appoggiatura is either played ahead of the beat or simultaneously with the main note.

Re: Rule for playing grace notes #527181
11/17/03 05:56 AM
11/17/03 05:56 AM
New York City

New York City
I would still maintain that in Romantic and Modern music, no matter how quickly and lightly a grace note is executed, to any extent that it infriges on and robs any of the value of the principal note (even a portion of a second), then in theory (which is not always the same as practicality, I realize)that exact same amount of time must then be subtracted from the principal note for purposes of retaining rhythmic integrity. This would be impossible for any pianist to consciously calculate, of course; rather, it would happen intuitively, the same as in playing rubato, for example.
This applies only when the grace note is played on the beat.

Re: Rule for playing grace notes #527182
11/17/03 09:09 PM
11/17/03 09:09 PM
Maine, U.S.
R
RachFan Offline
1000 Post Club Member
RachFan  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Maine, U.S.
Pianoloverus:

How in the world can you be up and writing about the grace note at 5:56 a.m.?!? laugh

Re: Rule for playing grace notes #527183
11/17/03 09:15 PM
11/17/03 09:15 PM
Kansas
apple* Offline
apple*  Offline

Kansas
Compliments might be inappropriate over in this Corner, but I nonetheless must say - Rachfan you write beautifully.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)
Re: Rule for playing grace notes #527184
11/17/03 10:02 PM
11/17/03 10:02 PM
Maine, U.S.
R
RachFan Offline
1000 Post Club Member
RachFan  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Maine, U.S.
Thanks, apple, I really appreciate it! As I look back at that post, the first sentence was probably the longest one ever posted on this board!

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Horugel grand piano
by Harv. 01/18/19 08:31 PM
Christian Zacharias on Schubert
by David-G. 01/18/19 06:09 PM
Is there a lock to keep a grand piano fallboard open?
by LearnPianoLive. 01/18/19 05:59 PM
Ravel - Pavane
by Moo :). 01/18/19 04:51 PM
Solo Piano Arrangement of Misty
by JazzPianoOnline. 01/18/19 03:21 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,653
Posts2,783,391
Members92,155
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission