Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
120 registered members (AnnInMiami, cardguy2.0, belcanto2, anotherscott, Bass3645789, ando, Amedeus, 27 invisible), 1,785 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Having your own recordings #525174
02/23/07 09:31 PM
02/23/07 09:31 PM
San Jose,CA
G
Grade5 Offline OP
Grade5  Offline OP
G

San Jose,CA
All,

Just curious how many people out there have had their music recorded in a professional studio. I'm always wondering when one has "perfected" a piece that he/she has worked so hard on for so long, one would be so inclined to immortalize his/her efforts and talent by putting it on a CD professionally.

Anybody else feel that way, and actually do it on a regular basis?

G5

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Having your own recordings #525175
02/23/07 09:44 PM
02/23/07 09:44 PM
Hampshire, UK
Oliver Sheen Offline
Oliver Sheen  Offline

Hampshire, UK
I think one should record constantly especially if you at the jazzy side of the market. My interpretations are always changing and it's interesting to see the way I played "Here's That Rainy Day" in 1998 as opposed to now. ONe discovers new chords and alternate voicings and automatically utilises them - not always to the benefit of the music I might add.

Often i go back to an old recording and think "Ooh, what chord was that - i should start doing that again"

Re: Having your own recordings #525176
02/23/07 09:47 PM
02/23/07 09:47 PM
Hampshire, UK
Oliver Sheen Offline
Oliver Sheen  Offline

Hampshire, UK
also, constant recording i find is a good way of improving one's nerve ie. you can't afford to mess it up as this one's going down for posterity. That, then translates to a better nerve during live performances - sometimes!!

Re: Having your own recordings #525177
02/23/07 10:13 PM
02/23/07 10:13 PM
Not in Texas
B
BB Player Offline

2000 Post Club Member
BB Player  Offline

2000 Post Club Member
B

Not in Texas
G5,

There are lots of people here that record though not in a studio. I'm just starting to record for a slightly different reason than you describe. I do work hard to learn a new piece but in the past I've gotten them 90% done and never took the time to put the finishing "polish" on them so I had a whole repertoire of pieces that I could play but not play well.

I've set myself a goal of recording every new piece so that I'll take the effort to get that last 10%. Also, as Oliver said, that goes a long way toward being able to play publicly since it puts more focus on a "perfect" performance (if there is such a thing!).

Greg
Re: Having your own recordings #525178
02/24/07 01:32 AM
02/24/07 01:32 AM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
For some of us amateurs, recording ones playing is one of the best learning experiences one can subject oneself to, and humbling as well.

I believe that many of us do not fully hear what we do - or do not do - when performing; rather, we hear what we think we are doing, and the recording medium can soon put our occasional delusions to right. "Yes, I rounded off that phrase nicely, and there was a gentle decrescendo to it, wasn't there?" "Well, no, actually, there wasn't; you chopped of that last note, and that decrescendo came too abruptly and too late!"

Fortunately, before spending lots of money going into a professional studio and using up many expensive moments of valuable time trying to get something "just right", there are digital recording devices that some of us are now using to record ourselves at home and to learn from what we hear. These recordings can be downloaded onto a computer and transferred to a CD with minimal expense and with relative ease. Some of us even have the audacity to post our home-made recordings here in the Pianist Corner. Others are kind enough to give valued critiques of what they hear from their fellow forum members.

My recent experience with recording my playing has opened my ears to quirks in my playing that my teacher has told me about, which I have tried to correct - with limited success - but which only now I am beginning to hear as others hear them.

It's not so much, in my case, wanting to "immortalize [my] efforts" as it is to wanting to improve my musicianship. When I finally get something as good as it's going to be for the present - there's always room for improvement, however - then I will share with kind, indulgent and forgiving friends some of my efforts by putting them on a CD, but not a professionally engineered CD, just one I make myself and then recopy.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Having your own recordings #525179
02/24/07 01:52 AM
02/24/07 01:52 AM
Georgia, USA
terminaldegree Offline
4000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
It's easier to do frequently when you have your own stuff, although it is nice to pay others to do that kind of work for you. Paying for studio time can get expensive (especially if there are several edits), but so is the cost of decent recording gear!

As BruceD mentioned, there are many people who can or should benefit from recording themselves during the learning process with a "cheap" setup (like a portable MiniDisc recorder); it will tell you things even more objectively than a teacher can sometimes...

Personally, I didn't enjoy listening to recordings of myself until I was about 21 or so (kinda related to the point I started to get really serious about practicing hard/consistently). Family members and friends always wanted to have a CD on hand, though.
I record every live performance I do at this point, and will ususally try and record the dress rehearsal as well with an identical recording setup. Then I can will use the best "takes" of individual pieces/movements and put them together on a CD. It's a nice middle ground between the occasional mishaps of a live performance and the mental anguish of having to do the 10th take of a sonata movement in a studio...

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Having your own recordings #525180
02/26/07 09:24 PM
02/26/07 09:24 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
Recordings are essential to my creative development. In a real sense, they are both ends and means for me. I normally improvise in thirty to forty-five minute chunks, maybe slightly shorter sometimes, and fit two sessions on a CD. The only strange effect is that I tend to judge far too harshly if I listen immediately after recording. Many times I have finished a session and resolved to erase everything - disgusted at what I perceived to be a fumbled paucity of ideas. But then the next day I hear a veritable kaleidoscope of transporting sound and wonder how I could have been so daft.

I know other improvisers who report precisely the same occurrence but I have no reasonable psychological explanation and it seldom seems to happen the other way around.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Having your own recordings #525181
02/27/07 07:40 AM
02/27/07 07:40 AM
Cape Cod
H
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member
hv  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H

Cape Cod
Another value of recordings is audience feedback. If you perform alone. Even on stage it might not be possible to maintain audience eye and body language contact. But invite a few folks over for drinks, audition your recording, and what you hear vicariously may be a real ear opener.

Howard

Re: Having your own recordings #525182
02/27/07 09:52 AM
02/27/07 09:52 AM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
Originally posted by hv:
But invite a few folks over for drinks, audition your recording, and what you hear vicariously may be a real ear opener.

Howard
I don't think I understand what you're saying. In your scenario, are people going to respond differently to your recording than they are if you played the same selections "live" for them?

By the way, how can one "hear vicariously"? I don't understand how "vicarious" fits your context.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Having your own recordings #525183
02/27/07 11:38 AM
02/27/07 11:38 AM
Mesa, AZ
Mark Purney Offline
Mark Purney  Offline

Mesa, AZ
A professional studio helps, but it's not necessary if you have a very good piano in a quiet location, good microphones and mic placement, workable acoustics, and decent editing tools.

Assuming the above items are established, the piano's tuning is the most significant obstacle for making a home recording compete with a studio recording. Recording is one of the factors that influenced my decision to become a technician.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Purchased Baldwin R Grand. What to expect...
by Ecogirl2206. 11/17/18 06:08 PM
Great pianists who don't/didn't play Liszt
by pianoloverus. 11/17/18 05:54 PM
DP around $ 1000
by orangeman. 11/17/18 05:51 PM
Wilhelm Grotrian WGS-165
by jarobi. 11/17/18 01:51 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,386
Posts2,762,025
Members91,513
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission