2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
florets Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Can someone recommend a good piano technician in these countries?

Thanks.

Happened to see this old post, but anyway offer my recommendation in Singapore. You can seek help from this person by the name Alvin Wee at Piano Music Galleria in Singapore. He is very knowledgeable with pianos.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
For a number of years, I corresponded with some exasperated piano owners in those countries, and the conclusion I reached was that there is a serious shortage of good piano tech info there, because the pianos seem to be suffering greatly from the effects of very high humidity, yet the techs and stores are clueless about the humidity control systems we commonly install to correct these problems in the west.

Regards,

Rick Clark

Rick Clark

Piano tuner-technician
Clark, you made a good point here. It is true that piano shops will just install a heater in the piano to "resolve" the moisture and humidity issue. But I have seen quite a few examples that heater does not necessarily solve the problem. Even with heater in, moisture still attack the lower and upper part of the piano. Besides there is a belief that heater will cause soundboard to warp faster overtime. Is this true?

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
SPC001,

I do not know what the "heater" you are talking about is. However I do know that a correct installation of Dampp-Chaser rods of a good wattage for the particular climate with a Dampp-Chaser humidistat in accordance with the recommended procedure for installation is an effective system to protect an upright piano from excess humidity. It will protect and not hurt the soundboard.

In climates of very high humidity like Singapore, a 50 watt rod is justified (with the humidistat of course). A lesser wattage like 25 or 15 watts with no humidistat would likely be ineffective. Yet 50 watts without a humidistat could cause damage eventually.

In a grand piano multiple rods are needed, and the addition of a 100% wool string cover is necessary to protect the strings from rust.

You may be interested to see www.dampp-chaser.com

Regards,

Rick Clark

Rick Clark

Piano tuner-technician
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I lived in Hawaii for two years. I remember the contents of salt shakers liquifying during the warm, rainy winters*. I'm not saying that it's impossible to get a heater to keep a piano relatively dry there, but I'd truly be impressed to see it done.

*I also remember seeing pianos, and, indeed, entire buildings destroyed by termites, but that's another story.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Pal,

I know a tech. who for years went to Hawaii every winter and worked his butt off for 2 months...then hung out and fished for another 2.

Not a bad life, eh?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Jay Offline
Originally posted by SPC001:
Clark, you made a good point here. It is true that piano shops will just install a heater in the piano to "resolve" the moisture and humidity issue. But I have seen quite a few examples that heater does not necessarily solve the problem. Even with heater in, moisture still attack the lower and upper part of the piano. Besides there is a belief that heater will cause soundboard to warp faster overtime. Is this true?
Many of this cases maybe because buyer does not want to pay the extra for a proper damp-chaser unit. And many dont understand about humidity and its' causes to the piano. The Damp-Chaser unit doesn't come with the piano in the first place. To dealer if they install one i think it will be an added cost. And for dealer to absord the cost I dont think is fair. I live in a very punishing environment too and I am using a dehumidifier (dryer) instead. And it cost me around USD 950.00 after conversion. My piano was advice by a dealer to position in a room. Initially I wanted to be at the living room. But he warn me that if I position it at the living room I may have problem even if the dehumidifier is turn on or even if I have 5 of those machine. Well I trusted him and I have no problem till today with my piano.

Jay, Rick or anyone with information...

Dehumidifier:

Would a centralized dehumidifier installed into the central air conditioning unit help to prevent warpage on the outside of the piano where the Dampp Chaser effect is not present?

Humidifier:

Opposite to the dehumidifier, would a centralized humidifier installed into heating systems (for dry winters in Calgary Canada) prevent the outside of the piano from the negative effects of low humidity. I would think that Damp Chaser installed into the piano, would have only limited benefit to insides of pianos, unless a cover was put on the piano to help preserve humidity on the outside shell covers.

Would it be of benefit to install both a centralized humidifier, as well as a Damp Chaser in the piano relative to its' large investment?

Jay Offline
Originally posted by Ancient Maestro:
Jay, Rick or anyone with information...

Dehumidifier:

Would a centralized dehumidifier installed into the central air conditioning unit help to prevent warpage on the outside of the piano where the Dampp Chaser effect is not present?

Humidifier:

Opposite to the dehumidifier, would a centralized humidifier installed into heating systems (for dry winters in Calgary Canada) prevent the outside of the piano from the negative effects of low humidity. I would think that Damp Chaser installed into the piano, would have only limited benefit to insides of pianos, unless a cover was put on the piano to help preserve humidity on the outside shell covers.

Would it be of benefit to install both a centralized humidifier, as well as a Damp Chaser in the piano relative to its' large investment?
Dehumidifier:

Hi A.M,

I am not so sure about that but if I'm given free electricity or I own the utility company, laugh I will have the air-conditioning on for 24 hrs 365 days and forget about the dehumidifier/Damp Chaser. Temperature and humidity are so much constant. (Reading from my office's hygrometer when the air-conditioning is running for 8 hours). Should be perfect for a piano to live in smile

Humidifier:
I have no idea. Where I am living now is wet all year round. But I recall when I was in Michigan 5 years ago. During winter especially in the morning getting up from bed, I have to drink alot of water because of dehydration. Later, got myself a dehumidifier from Meijer and install it in my bedroom. It was alot better.

I don't know if there is any help having more gadget/equipment. But I think if it can already maintain a good RH, I will keep the money for piano service later...

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission