2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
JPM Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bump

"Piano music should only be written for the Bechstein."
-- Claude Debussy
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
JPM,
Please, private message me with the name of the mover.

Thanks,
Peggy

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Hi JPM,

YES, please continue to bump this thread, I think it's quite important.

I keep reading the posts, and think since so many members and lurkers will need to move their pianos from time to time, PianoWorld through this thread is providing a most valuable service.

BTW, could you please elaborate on your comment that "The piano was insured under its own Personal Article Floater so I am fully covered..."? Didn't understand this. Thanks. And hope things work out for you.

pianodevo
JPM Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Pianodevo,

For certain high-value items (pianos, furs, jewelry, fine art, etc) it is necessary to buy a special policy to ensure you have sufficient coverage in case the item is stolen/damaged/destroyed. My insurance company calls this policy a Personal Article Floater. Other companies may call it something else.

Normally the insurer will want you to establish the item's value (sales receipt or recent appraisal) and provide photos to document the items condition. The insurance is not cheap, but in the case of my piano (which I knew had at least a two moves ahead of it before I retired), I felt it was worth it.

There was a thread not too long ago that discussed musical instrument insurance you might want to read. Some companies specialize in musical instrument coverage. A few piano owners identified individual insurers that provide this coverage in this thread.

I hope I've explained this adequately. I am certainly not an expert on insurance.

JP

-- Claude Debussy
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
JPM, I'd also like the name of the mover. Could you PM me?

Sorry to hear about this.

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
JPM Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I PMed you Jon. Thanks for your comment and for asking.

-- Claude Debussy
JPM Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bump

-- Claude Debussy
A
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A
JPM,

Sounds awful! Thanks very much for sounding the alert for the rest of us. A bureaucratic nightmare in addition to everything.

I second the recommendations of JoeB and GeorgeK (this is for others out there mostly, at this point). Any homeowner should avoid at almost all costs, putting in a claim. I recommend having a high deductible too.

I'm one of the unlucky ones to learn this the hard way, having lost my coverage through a combination of several incidents in a three year period. One was (get this) only an inquiry, I didn't need to follow up on! It was still listed. And I had been covered for almost fifteen years without claims, paying for a tiny $100 deductible.

Couldn't get coverage anywhere for three years. Then when I went looking I found most companies wouldn't touch me because I hadn't had insurance in the previous year!! mad

Word to the wise.

Amanda

(Could you please PM me the company's name c/o WTF preferably as I don't check here much?)

If this is coffee, bring me tea. If this is tea, bring me coffee.
~Abraham Lincoln~
Hi JPM,

My heart sank when I read your story.

I too had a piano damaged by supposed piano movers. Three skinny guys to move a 1923 Knabe nine footer...(1268lbs) oh yeah with a truck (No. 13) with a damaged (broken welds on the rails) incline board.

The long and the short of it is they dropped the piano removing it from the truck at the warehouse and broke the case in two...crated it anyway and shipped it to my rebuilder 3000 miles away without saying a word to me or the parent moving company.

I arrived at the rebuilders two weeks later to discuss the rebuild having already confirmed that the crate arrived safely and in excellent condition only to find the piano rim completely broken and seperated, music stand smashed, cabinet gashes and damage galore.

Lucky for me...I had a complete set of 'before' photos (120) that I had compiled for the rebuilder, documenting every possible angle of the piano, PRIOR to it being moved.

The rebuilder co-operated with me wonderfully (Les pianos Andre Bolduc) by taking a complete set of photos of damage after the piano arrived and was uncrated.

In between, I recorded every conversation with the Insurance Company, copied my lawyer on every communication, and after six months of hounding them weekly for responses,...they finally paid me the value of the insurance that I had taken out from them for the move. Sadly the damage exceeded the 10,000.00 insurance policy by some 3,000.00.

Nonetheless, I won what I was certainly entitled to, and didn't have to go to court....although I had to be prepared at every step of the way for that eventuality.

Confirming that your mover is bonded is an excellent idea. Wish I had done that, before going with this International Company and it's local yahoo boneheads. The old sub-contractor, sub-contractor, sub-contractor game. The International Company had to pay the piper for the local incompetents.

Keep your chin up and it will work out for the best hopefully. Good for you for letting the Forum members in on this carelessness.

Skyblanche

JPM Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ariel, thanks for the advice about putting in an insurance claim.

Skyblanche, I remembered you mentioning your piano was dropped in earlier threads, but I did not know how it happened. It's good you had pictures to document the piano's condition before it was moved. It is also good to know your persistence paid off.

If I ever have to move a piano again I will take many more pre-move photos. (I had a few recent photos but not nearly as many as you.) I will also video the move so I will have more compelling evidence to document what happened. That should leave little room for debate about who, where, and how the piano was damaged if the piano movers mishandle it. I think a piano is at greatest risk for damage when it is being moved from the old house to the truck and from the truck to the new house. Most the time the owner should be present for those events and can video it.

Of course, in doing the above, the presumption is that you are dealing with an ethical businessman that will take responsibility and do the right thing when presented the evidence. In my situation that apparently is not the case. The piano moving company owner has not even returned my phone call as he said he would, much less pay for the repair. It appears as though he is not very concerned about his company's reputation either, as I am almost certain he is aware of this thread. Given this scenario, about the best public good I can do is to let piano owners, dealers, and technicians know what happened so they can make an informed decision whether to use this company or recommend the company to others.

The other thing I would recommend is to get a piano technician to service the piano just before shipment. That way you have an independent expert that can corroborate the piano's condition before it was moved. I would also have the technician prepare the action for shipment by immobilizing the hammers & shanks, using the packing material the manufacturer uses when the piano is shipped from the factory. This is particularly important for grands since they are shipped on their sides. Preparing the action for shipment may prevent some costly repairs if the piano is dropped or otherwise mishandled.

I cannot thank Cathy Harl enough for giving me the packing material used to ship one of her Bechstein grands. I think it saved the day as far as my action was concerned.

JP

-- Claude Debussy
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Bump.

pianodevo
JPM Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the bump pianodevo.

-- Claude Debussy
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
So are you still in contact with the movers now, or have they completely disappeared or refused to return your calls?

What's new in this saga?

JPM Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Nina,

I have not called or emailed the company since the series of emails I posted here initially. D_____, his scheduler/receptionist, said she told the owner each time I called or emailed. I believe her. The owner has no intention of calling me back. Any further attempts to contact him would be a waste of time.

The claim adjuster that's working the claim has tried calling the owner several time. I understand he has not returned the adjuster's calls either.

That's why I think it is important for readers to know how this piano mover operates. I do not want anyone else to have to go through this kind of experience.

Thanks for asking though. If you know of anyone that is looking for a piano mover, I encourage you to refer them to this thread. Even if they are not located along the mid-Atlantic seaboard, there are some pearls to be drawn from this information.

Again, I will provide the name of the company to anyone that PMs me.

JP

-- Claude Debussy
S
S
sue them for all their worth

JPM Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bump

-- Claude Debussy
JPM Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bump

-- Claude Debussy
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Just a note to say that not all piano movers are boneheads. The guys who moved my Estonia 190 into the house were very careful. They obviously knew what they were doing and I would recommend them highly. Heck I even tipped them. I appreciate your pain and I would be as angry as you in your shoes.

That's another way of saying,... bump.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
JPM Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Steve. I agree. This is the first time I've had a problem with a piano move.

JP

-- Claude Debussy
JPM Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bump

-- Claude Debussy
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission