2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
I just went through this, and I will be starting college (Hartt school of music) next month. I was nervous too, but the auditions are really not bad if you are very well prepared. It is tough, though, as there are many people appliying. As long as you have something important to communicate, you should be fine.

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by SPS:
Lawrence University
Depauw University
University of Minnesota
Northern Illinois University

Not so competitive.

Indiana University
University of Michigan (sorta)

More competitive.

Indiana has ca. 350 piano majors, 80% of which are undergrads. Most undergrad schools aren't incredibly selective - it's when you start applying to MM and DMA that things get icky. At the undergrad level, most schools are looking for basic comprehension of styles as well as technical security. Graduate auditions have to exhibit strong musicianship and equally if not stronger technique.

Also, you want to consider going somewhere for a specific teacher. At Indiana, go for Karen Shaw, Emile Naoumoff, or Edmund Battersby.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Brendan, from what you have seen/experienced, how much of a difference is there in admission standards in a school like Juilliard, and other schools, like the ones above? Is it really a very wide margin?

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The range of competitiveness is huge. Major conservatories are flooded with applicants and turn very good players away all the time.

Some smaller schools will admit almost anybody just to meet enrollment goals. (Though you may not be admitted to a performance degree at first...)

Brendan's estimation is correct - Michigan and Indiana will be more competitive than the others. Getting into a less competitive school does not, however, necessarily mean you'll get a lesser education. Great players come from (and are made) in smaller schools all the time.

It does become more important at the graduate level. It really does help if your doctorate (or even masters) comes from a "big name" school.

The path I took and the one I suggest to all students is to find an undergraduate program with a great teacher and lots of performance opportunities where you can really do a lot of playing. Do a masters program with a great teacher where you can surround yourself with great players for inspiration and collaboration, and go big guns for the DMA, especially if you're looking at an academic career.

Originally posted by CrashTest:
Brendan, from what you have seen/experienced, how much of a difference is there in admission standards in a school like Juilliard, and other schools, like the ones above? Is it really a very wide margin?

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
A
A
Slightly off-topic question:

Does anyone know how hard it is to get into British schools of music?

e.g. RCM, RAM, RNCM, Guildhall, Trinity etc.

I'm a bit of a late starter and I haven't been aiming at this seriously so that would be a major drawback in terms of my actual standard compared to others. BTW, I'm just interested, but I feel I'd be a good musician if I had the chance.

Looking at their audition requirements it *sounds* as if they're a lot more lax than some of these US schools.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission