2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Badger Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm looking to build up my CD collection, which is quite lacking in Haydn.

What recordings do you recommend? Not limited to just piano music.

"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself."
--Johann Sebastian Bach
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
The complete Haydn Symphonies conducted by Antal Dorati. Budget price too! It takes up 33 discs!

Badger Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi, iamcanadian

Do you know where I can get that set for budget price? I just looked on the site I normally use and it's £191 ( eek ) (on Decca).

"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself."
--Johann Sebastian Bach
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
There are many wonderful recordings of the Haydn String Quartets; you might want to add some of them to your collection. Among the many, those made by the Kodaly Quartet on Naxos range from good to excellent - at a bargain price, too.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I'm not sure that I would recommend the complete Haydn Symphonies - particularly by one conductor/group - who is going to want to listen to all 104 of them? Certainly there are many, many recordings of some of the symphonies that are well worth having.

Adam Fischer with the Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra has done a set of the "Early Symphonies" (1 through 20)
Trevor Pinnock with the English Concert has done several recordings that are good,
The Orpheus Chamber Orchestra recordings are excellent
Sir Colin Davis on Philips has done the "London Symphonies" (94 through 104)

That should be good for a start.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have a version of The Seven Last Words of Christ that I got from Classicalarchives.com. It is wonderful, but maybe I just love the music; there may be better recordings out there.

Rick

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Adam Fisher recorded all of the Haydn symphonies. They were released a couple of years ago at a special introductory price of around $90.

I also recommend recordings of the Hanover Band - very inspiring.

Finally, for the later symphonies, I recommend recordings of Sigiswald Kuijken. They're excellent.

For the Sonatas, there are lots of good performances -- everything from Alfred Brendel to John McCabe. Schiff, Ax and Andsnes all have done some nice work.

For the Quartets, I like the Quartet Mosaiques...though there are several other groups that have good to great performances.

Ken

C
C
I have a Hyperion disc of Haydn songs that is quite wonderful - Italian, German, and quite a number of English texts. Roger Vignoles is on piano; singers Lisa Milne, Bernarda Fink, and John Mark Ainsley (CDA67174). I highly recommend it!
Also check out "The Creation" if you haven't heard it. I don't know who has recorded it, but it's an amazing work!
laugh

Allie

"Sing praise to the God of Jacob! Start the music and beat the tambourines; play pleasant music on the harps and the lyres." Psalm 81:1-2.
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Originally posted by Badger:
Hi, iamcanadian

Do you know where I can get that set for budget price? I just looked on the site I normally use and it's £191 ( eek ) (on Decca).
it's $263US on Amazon which is ~$8 per disc, I would call that budget price. I got mine on ebay for 100

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by ClassicalVegan:

Also check out "The Creation" if you haven't heard it. I don't know who has recorded it, but it's an amazing work!
laugh
I have three recordings of "The Creation." Two of them are particularly good :
  • Battle, Winbergh, Moll, et al. and the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by James Levine; DG 427 629-2
  • Janowitz, Ludwig, Wunderlich, Berry, Fischer-Dieskau; Berlin Philharmonic conducted by von Karajan; DG Galleria 435 078-2

The von Karajan is an older recording (1969), but still a wonderful interpretation of the work, (look at the performers!).

As Allie says; it is an amazing work.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
I'll second BruceD's nomination of the symphonies from Pinnock. Wonderful stuff!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission