2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,863 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hello everyone,
my name is Braden and I'm new to this forum. I am 21 years old and have been taking piano lessons since I was 8. I dropped out of the Royal Conservatory of music after achieving my grade 8 diploma (wasn't satisfied with the selection of music for grade 9 and decided the program and restrictions were redundant as I am not pursuing piano professionally).
I'm currently attending film school and working on a short film. A typical problem short film directors face lies in the creation of the score. Soundtrack is important as it is a very effective tool in enhancing the audiences understanding of the film on a solely emotional level (as opposed to logically, which is what the storyline provides).
Due to the limited budget of short films, directors and producers usually end up hiring small bands (that usually lack heavily in talent and are commonly known to destroy the vibe of the story) as opposed to spending thousands of dollars on copyrighted music.
I've recently learned that classical music can be used as long as it follows certain guidelines. The composer has to have been deceased for over 50 years, and the music must be re-recorded.
If anyone has advice pertaining to what piano classics you believe would be suitable for a dramatic short film, I would thoroughly appreciate it. The music must be dark, mysterious, but paced (as the short film is only ten minutes). I've already chosen Schubert's Impromptu, Opus 90, No.3. (more subdued but for the credits)
I understand that everyone on this forum is filled with a vast amount of knowledge and again would be very grateful if anyone could help me out.
Sorry about the long post...
Thanks,
Braden

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have worked closely with a friend attending NYU film school on his student films and have composed the soundtracks for two of them, email me at requiem_aeternam7@yahoo.com if you want to listen and talk about it because I may be of assistance to you.

"He who turns himself into a beast, gets rid of the pain of being a man."
F
F
I can recommend Satie's Gnossiennes for this type of music.

You can check out my piano works for this project:
www.fogwall.com

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Braden:

You say that the soundtrack is important in helping the audience's understanding of the film. Does it not follow, then, that anyone contributing to whatever music is ultimately used in the film must have an intimate knowledge of the film? It's pretty difficult making suggestions without knowing how they might - or might not - fit with the images.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
OP Offline
BruceD,

If I was looking for or working with a composer for my film, then yes I would definitely provide them with a copy of the script, answers to any questions they would have, and have them compose to the actual edited footage.

Due to copyright and financial restrictions, I've decided that it would be more realistic taking a different approach than buying recent and more popular music. Ideally, I would like to find a piece (written by a composer that has been deceased for over 50 years) that suits the general mood or emotion of the short film, record it myself, and then edit picture 'to' the recorded piece (as opposed to having a composer edit 'to' the edited picture).

I am not opposed to working with a composer though, but doubt I would be able to find one online as I'm sure most of the people on this forum don't live in Toronto Canada. Although, I would be willing to use a composers music that has already been created and edit picture 'to' their music. I've already listened to some of fogwall's music and was very impressed.

In my request for suggestions, I've decided to be somewhat vague in description of what I'm looking for. By getting to specific I may end up narrowing out suggestions for music that could have worked.

Any suggestions? Does that answer your question?

Braden

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Branden,

Is there any way you can make the film available to us for viewing over the Internet?. If you could do that I am sure we could offer suggestions. Without seeing your film and discussing your goal it is next to impossible to offer beneficial advice.

This could turn out to be a rewarding project for all of us.

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
K
K
Branden,
go to http://www.mandy.com this site will help you out tremendously------there are a lot of film composers out there that would be willing to help you out last minute----you want someone with either a pro tools studio or a motu (digital performer studio) --- go with the motu studio---they are equipped with tons of virtual instruments that if done correctly----will give the sound of a dark symphony----motu tends to be the standard----but don't pass up any other composers with different platforms --- you never now----everyone had to start someplace-----if you have any further questions contact me --- I am a full time film and television composer---I can't help you out currently---but I can lead you in the right direction----good luck

T
T
It's a lot easier to make the movie go with the music than make music go with the movie.

Seriously
OP Offline
klhcomposer, thanks for the advice. I've used Mandy.com for casting but never looking into using it to find composers. I will definitely look into that.

t kachu, from the composers perspective I couldn't agree with you more. From a directors perspective, editing picture to a composition would serve as more of a liability as it would involve compromising the initial vision.
Ideally, directors like to have their composers work with footage that was edited to similar music to that which will be created.

Stevester, I appreciate the incentive, but don't know how I would go about making my short film rough cuts available and am pressed for time. So far, I've decided to use some of Fogwall's music, and found a website called stockmusic.net. This site provides royalty free music for very reasonable prices ($30US per piece) considering you may do whatever you want with the music after purchase. I found a great piece from there, and then emailed the owner, asking if he had Schuberts Impromptu in G flat major, Opus 90. No. 3 in stock. He said that he could have it recorded on a Steinway piano with a 'soft mic' for me in a couple days. I listened to the completed track today and was dissapointed as it was obviously midi. It definitly wasn't recorded live, sounded far too even and perfect. I had a feeling this would happen as I've been trying to learn the piece for a month and am far from mastering it myself.

Anyway, I appreciate the help so far.

Braden

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission