2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 12 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
Also known as "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN, MR. MODERATOR?!?!?"

So pianist/composer/writer/icon Frederic Rzewski was in Kansas City last week, where he gave a recital, presentations, interviews, and masterclasses for piano and composition. The whole experience was rather overwhelming and it was, for me, a formative moment.

His playing and improvising, I believe, is the closest thing we will hear today that compares to Beethoven improvising. It was simply thrilling, I was amazed by the many different directions that his music took. The program was three recently-composed pieces, "Dust," "Cadenza" (an elaborate cadenza for Beethoven's Fourth Concerto), and "Stop the War," coupled with his "Four Piano Pieces" from the 1970s. It was the first time I heard the Four Pieces in concert, and I am still in shock after observing the ease with which he played them (they're on the level of "The People United" variations).

The next day, I played "De Profundis" in his masterclass. If you haven't heard this piece, RUN out and get his recording, or any for that matter. It's a wrenching 30-minute account of the last years of Oscar Wilde, spent in humiliation and self-imposed exile. The piece itself is a mix between music theatre, performance art, and extreme piano virtuosity. The only thing that I was sure the masterclass wasn't going to be was a piano lesson. It seemed that Rzewski took it for granted that the performers were all fully capable of playing his demanding scores. He was very enthusiastic the whole time, and gave me lots of ideas on how far I can take the theatre aspect of it, going so far as to include lighting, choreography, and possibly even staging. What I most liked was that it wasn't a "in measure 45..." nitpicky type of masterclass; he seemed to appreciate everyone's interpretation and wanted to build on what was already there. I'm planning on coupling it with Martin Bresnick's "For the Sexes: The Gates of Paradise," which is also for speaking pianist and DVD projection. It will be a recital that I will fully enjoy producing, and I'm happy to say that I've already sold some venues on the idea.

The impression that I got was that Rzewski, at his core, is a shy guy, and a bit of a prankster with a good sense of humor. He has very passionate opinions about many things, both music and non-music related, and was very keen on getting us to really think about what we are doing as musicians.

Anyway, here are some hot hot pictures:

From left to right: Shoko (my wife), Andrew (a friend from Wichita), Chris (a studio friend), Karen Kushner, Robert Weirich (my teacher!), Rzewski, Myself.
[Linked Image]

Rzewski and I during the class.
[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Wow! What an experience. What a thrill to rub shoulders with unbridled genius. I loved reading your account. From the bit I've been exposed to him, your account will certainly make me explore more.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Why was his improvisation like Beethoven's, Brendan ? Do you mean he used the same keyboard vocabulary as Beethoven's music ? In what way would it differ from that of, say, Jarrett for instance ? Can you give us a few objective, descriptive clues about what it sounded like; I'm curious.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow, thats great. Ironically, im listening to the people united now! laugh Actually, I heard it for the first time this year played by bob shannon at oberlin... great!

"Beauty is unbearable, drives us to despair, offering us for a minute the glimpse of an eternity that we should like to stretch out over the whole of time."

-Albert Camus,

Jim
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
let me get my glasses.

sounds great. (i suppose that is what you played on Sunday while i froze at a pool in Roeland Park)

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Thank you for sharing!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am (sigh) envious.
Thank you for sharing.

T
TS Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
WOW!! Rzewski is by far my favorite modern composer, and De Profundis is one of my favorite pieces from any time period. You didnt happen to make a recording of your performance did you? hehe

I would love to hear it, if you did.

Sounds like an awe inspiring experience. eek

B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by Ted:
Why was his improvisation like Beethoven's, Brendan ? Do you mean he used the same keyboard vocabulary as Beethoven's music ? In what way would it differ from that of, say, Jarrett for instance ? Can you give us a few objective, descriptive clues about what it sounded like; I'm curious.
Sure.

Beethoven's Fantasy in G minor is basically a written-out improvisation, but it still manages to be an expressive work that takes many dramatic turns. In a way, it's similar to his late sonatas, specifically the second movement of op. 111, where he takes a basic idea and then spins it out and rips it apart in every way imagineable.

Rzewski's improvisations were much the same. Even though I had never heard the pieces on the first half before, there was always an identifiable melodic cell or element that came back throughout each piece. Rzewski said that he never really knows exactly what he does during an improvisation after the fact, but I got the sense that while he is improvising he's building it all on small ideas and contrasts.

I don't know if that makes sense, but if you can get ahold of Rzewski playing some of his own works that require improvisation (like the North American Ballades), it might be clearer just to listen to that.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
..second movement of op. 111..

..cell or element..

..never really knows exactly what he does during an improvisation after the fact..

..small ideas and contrasts..

Yes, these make an astonishing amount of sense to me. Thank you.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Brendan,

Please let us know, with as much advance notice as you can give, when you're going to be playing these. I'd like to hear them.

Jim

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission