2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Hello Guys! I am seriously considering auditioning for the youtube symphony orchestra. I have a question though. I am trying to decide on which piece to play for the general talent video.

These are the two pieces I had in mind:

Mozart Sonata K 332 in F- Movement 3- Allegro Assai
Debussy Prelude- Minstrels

Which is better to audition with?

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Well, that's probably one of the more "showy" Mozart movements out there. I'm planning on competing with it soon in an all classical competition. I would suggest that.

But which do you think you play better?

Matt

T
T
They have a list of pieces that you have to choose from on their channel. Go to the second step of the submission process, it's in there. Good luck, I'm doing it, too.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
those are reccomended pieces not requried :p

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

T
T
Really? Awesome

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Weren't there pieces that were a MUST by composer Tan Dun? That was the reason I dismissed this competition. I may be wrong though. It seemed like a way to only promote his music, and that seemed unfair.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, there are two videos required. One is the piano part for the symphony which you are to record following Tan Dun's conducting.

(This, obviously, is to make sure that you can follow a conductor and learn the orchestral part.)

The second video is a classical work of your choice, and they recommend several pieces. From the looks of it, they're not so much interested in the difficulty level (after all, if you can play the Tan Dun piece, then you can handle the concert.) But they are interested in people who can play and interpret classical scores. In other words, it looks like they're trying to weed out people who would audition with "Piano Man" or playing one of those dime-a-dozen new age pieces where you wrap arpeggios around a chord progression and stick a half note melody on top.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Oh, and I'm just guessing, but my sense is that the first video will be far more important than the second.

They're looking to fill a position for a live performance with a real live conductor, so if you can't follow Tan Dun, you won't get the gig.

My other guess is that they're wanting to showcase youtube, so the quality and presentation of the video and audio may also be important.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Kreisler:
or playing one of those dime-a-dozen new age pieces where you wrap arpeggios around a chord progression and stick a half note melody on top.
smile
mind if I quote you? I could never explain why I dislike these bloody pieces, Yanni's hair non-withstanding. Now I can sound semi-erudite instead of simply biased..

Go right ahead. laugh

It's not that I dislike "New Age" music, it's that I dislike *bad* "New Age" music, and unfortunately, there seems to be a LOT of that on YouTube.

I'm not saying people shouldn't experiment and improvise on obvious chord progressions - that's exactly how I got started composing. (You should've heard the trite crap I used to fiddle with in High School - I sounded like bad John Tesh, and THAT'S saying something.)

But for the purposes of an audition, even a YouTube audition, you need to put a best foot forward and show some kind of professional and artistic promise. (And I hope the YouTube symphony does exactly that.)

www.pianoped.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
well Kreisler, it is too late to back off or away from your heartfelt statement, though I would suggest you get ready for some heat from the fans at ABF..

On this note, can you direct me to an example of "good" New Age music? (don't name Monica's italian dude, that would be conflict of interest!)

I was going to audition for it but the piece by Tan Dun is so boring that i don't know if i'll bother.

Current pieces:
Schumann Symphonic Etudes
Chopin Preludes
Mozart-sonata no 12 f major
Suzanne Ciani, George Winston, Yann Tiersen.

Originally posted by Andromaque:
well Kreisler, it is too late to back off or away from your heartfelt statement, though I would suggest you get ready for some heat from the fans at ABF..

On this note, can you direct me to an example of "good" New Age music? (don't name Monica's italian dude, that would be conflict of interest!)

www.pianoped.com
Yup, I also got discouraged from doing that because of Tan Dun's piece. I am a new member btw!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission