2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sygnomei parakalo gyros but you can't make generalizations about swimsuit models and their piano playing ability.

Heck, I was once a runway model . . .

At LaGuardia.

smile

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I knew a guy in high school who dated this girl's sister just to annoy her.

Worked like a charm!

Originally posted by CrashTest:
Ask her out, seriously. You will confuse the heck out of her.

Then you can dump her for her sister or something if she's better!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
I would pull her aside the next time she comes up to me with such a comment, and say privately to her, "Is there a reason that you continually point out how there are so many people better than me every time I play? I am very well aware that there are many people better than me, and to me, piano is not a competition. I have nothing to prove, and don't feel the need to compare myself to others to make myself feel good or bad. For all the many, many people who are better than me, and there are many, I say hat's off to them. Why do you keep asking me this?"

If you say it with all sincerity, she cannot take it as sarcasm or as an attack, but secretly it will ***** her own conscience, put her on the spot to answer for her behaviour, and most likely, stop it from happening again. And in the end, since you asked an honest question, with sincerity, you don't look like a "higher than thou" type of individual.

I have learned that the best way to answer a question, or address someone like this, is with a question right back that they have to answer.

Christians aren't perfect; just forgiven.
D
D
Funniest thread in the pianist corner, with the most questionable advices wink

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Damz:
Funniest thread in the pianist corner, with the most questionable advices wink
thumb

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by BDB:
You might point out that like most things, it is not a competition.
From the hindsight of experience, yes. But it certainly doesn't feel that way at the time. I'm not old enough to have forgotten that, believe me. eek

Jason
T
T
I dont have that problem, i play, and most girls like it.

ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Funny thread(Adrian I had the same initial thought as you did)

You'll meet enough "hanger queens" (i.e. high maintenance airplane) in your life- just smile that you've identified one before it was too late and feel bad for any future boyfriend.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Ben Johnson:
Jealousy.

And nothing else.
Jealousy, love, insecurity (which leads to jealousy)... sometimes they are all the same thing.

But for the sake of sanity, better to be sure which emotion is strongest first. It will better guide your ensuing conversations and actions. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by lagin:

I have learned that the best way to answer a question, or address someone like this, is with a question right back that they have to answer.
But what if it leads them to answer with yet another question? It's a long continuous chain until someone backs off.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
ahhh... just become better than she is. don't let it get to you. piano players are competitive sharks.

but in the mean time, mess with her mind as much as you can.

I
I
Dealing with people like this is one of lifes great lessons. You'll have to do it all of your life so you might as well get the practice now. My advice. Kill them with kindness! It always works. I'm not saying that you have to be buddy-buddy with her, but if you go out of your way to compliment her sincerely then she will; a)realize that you aren't trying to compete with her, b)realize that she has been acting...uh...not so nice, or c) she will think that you are coming onto her, in which case she will either fall for you, or completely ignore you for the rest of your high school years.

Jeff135 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ii7-V7:
Dealing with people like this is one of lifes great lessons. You'll have to do it all of your life so you might as well get the practice now. My advice. Kill them with kindness! It always works. I'm not saying that you have to be buddy-buddy with her, but if you go out of your way to compliment her sincerely then she will; a)realize that you aren't trying to compete with her, b)realize that she has been acting...uh...not so nice, or c) she will think that you are coming onto her, in which case she will either fall for you, or completely ignore you for the rest of your high school years.
Indeed and I have on multiple occasions tried to be kind and compliment her. Unfortunately she hasn't changed one bit from then. As I stated before I have tried to avoid her at all costs. Problem is that she and I are both in the school orchestra and the orchestra teacher seems to choose me for all the pieces that require a piano part. In fact she has asked me to play the Tchaikovsky 1st concerto with the orchestra next winter which I believe will only feed her jealousy and insecurity.

It's not that I really care what she thinks, it's that she is trying to rally her friends, and she has a lot, against me.

The clown is watching you.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
mm.....I put something here but decided it was too inappropriate.....

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Opus_Maximus:
mm.....I put something here but decided it was too inappropriate.....
mm... that might have been fun. laugh

Jason
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My perception is that she knows you are better than her and is trying to belittle you to make herself feel superior. She's trying to crush your self esteem.

Either way she is bad news. You already tried being nice to her and it didn't work so I would go another route if she approached me again.

"You obviously think I'm grand, if you didn't you wouldn't even bother taking the time to speak to me. I'm flattered but not interested"

I guarantee she will never seek you out to talk to you again. laugh

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In my opinion you have already handled this situation in a superbly mature way but your first response - there is really no reason to interact with her on any level at this point.

She sounds not only insecure but like someone with a big time personality disorder of the trauma-drama variety. Believe me - if you try and fight it with anything other than a good dose of reality you'll lose - she's miles better at manipulation people than you are.

If you try to be nicey nice she see right through it know she's gotten to you and lay it on even thicker -

If you try to reason it wont work - that's not how the game is played.
'
If you're nasty then you're only getting in deeper - hello Act Two.

Avoid talking to her an any but the most perfunctory (sp?) way and stay out of her way

By no means date her - you already know how cruel, insecure and immature she is - why would you want to date someone like that? I'm sure for every one of her there are twenty other kids in your class that like you because you are interesting, play the piano well, act mature etc etc etc. But you dont see them or meet them because you spend all you time on this Drama.

I doubt she has that many friends - what you are seeing are people she's managed to intimidate - and situations like that are inherently unstable. What are they going to do anyway? Just to be safe I would let a faculty member know what is going on. A lot of schools are much more conscious of the damaging effects of bullying and have a very low tolerance for it. That way if the Drama turns into a War Movie you'll have some backup.

Enjoy your success - you've earned it - if she's jealous because your a better pianist that's tough - she'll have to learn to deal with it with - that's not your problem. Enjoy being young and expanding you talent - meet the people you are supposed to be meeting right now - that's what life is all about.

"There are so many mornings that have not yet dawned." -- Rg Veda
D
D
If I were you, I'd just ignore her. She doesn't seem to be anything except a waste of space in your life.

But if it still persists, play Lizsts "La Campanella" or Beethoven's "Hammerklavier" Sonata, then drag her into the piano and dare her to play it, and say that the both of you won't leave the room until she'll be able to sight read the whole thing.

Meh...That was a joke :p but it would be funny if that happened.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Schubertian's reading of the situation and advice are very, very good.

John

Vasa inania multum strepunt.
Jeff135 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Schubertian:
In my opinion you have already handled this situation in a superbly mature way but your first response - there is really no reason to interact with her on any level at this point.

She sounds not only insecure but like someone with a big time personality disorder of the trauma-drama variety. Believe me - if you try and fight it with anything other than a good dose of reality you'll lose - she's miles better at manipulation people than you are.

If you try to be nicey nice she see right through it know she's gotten to you and lay it on even thicker -

If you try to reason it wont work - that's not how the game is played.
'
If you're nasty then you're only getting in deeper - hello Act Two.

Avoid talking to her an any but the most perfunctory (sp?) way and stay out of her way

By no means date her - you already know how cruel, insecure and immature she is - why would you want to date someone like that? I'm sure for every one of her there are twenty other kids in your class that like you because you are interesting, play the piano well, act mature etc etc etc. But you dont see them or meet them because you spend all you time on this Drama.

I doubt she has that many friends - what you are seeing are people she's managed to intimidate - and situations like that are inherently unstable. What are they going to do anyway? Just to be safe I would let a faculty member know what is going on. A lot of schools are much more conscious of the damaging effects of bullying and have a very low tolerance for it. That way if the Drama turns into a War Movie you'll have some backup.

Enjoy your success - you've earned it - if she's jealous because your a better pianist that's tough - she'll have to learn to deal with it with - that's not your problem. Enjoy being young and expanding you talent - meet the people you are supposed to be meeting right now - that's what life is all about.
Indeed I agree with this assessment quite a bit.

The clown is watching you.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission