2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,352 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bassio Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Sorry sam, i promised you we'll make that duel of the bach P&F but virtuoso and i here have reached an agreement

Guys, i am proud to present you the first PW piano duel: virtuoso_735 vs. Bassio

Performance: Chopin nocturne no.19 op.72 no.1

So what is a PW forum piano duel?

Simply two members agree to post their recordings of a certain piece of repertoire .. then other members vote for the performance they liked best.

For the rules see the other topic: PW duel rules

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Looking forward to hearing it! I play that one too and love it when it's played just a certain way smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cool! Nothing like some healthy competition to spice up the board a bit.

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
can't wait. i LOVE playing and hearing that nocturne smile

That's right...I have the same birthday as Mozart. If only it meant something and I could have one thousandth of his genius...in my dreams, i suppose.
Bassio Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I'll start by posting my performance ..
I don't know where is virtuoso and why he still didn't post his .. anyway

Chopin: Nocturne No.19
Performer: Bassio

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=1082270

Request: Please do not comment until virtuoso posts his recording in the thread

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
So Bassio, were you thinking of making it a 3-way duel, or replacing him with me if he doesn't do it? either way, i'm up for it! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
virtuoso has something posted in the members recordings forum, is that it?

"He who turns himself into a beast, gets rid of the pain of being a man."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Chopin: Nocutnre no.19 in E minor
Performer: virtuoso_735

http://savefile.com/files/4956441

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And the Battle is on!

*Street Fighter voice*

Round 1, FIGHT!

Let's just hope there's no fatalities in this one

"He who turns himself into a beast, gets rid of the pain of being a man."
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
*commentator voice* Hey, Bill...you've gotta give that first round to Bassio for posting his recording so early in the round. That's a hard opening combination, but you know, I've got to admit, virtuoso responded equally well in the latter part of the round, coming on strong at the end when it counts. This could be anyone's round...let's go to the scorecards. :p wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I cannot decide...Both interpretatinos are very different; I think I shade towards liking Bassio's better, but the piano sounds more like a harpsichord it is so out of tune.....and it has possibly a little too much interpretation at times...overall, really enjoyed it, and thats what counts.

Virtuoso's also was excellent; it was played extremley clean. If we were going to judge as how the nocturne was played by the book, virtuoso would win IMHO.

Overall I will not vote because they are such different interpretations to my ears.

Good job both of you, some great playing.

Shigeru Kawai SK7
Kawai NV10S
Hallet & Davis 165
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Bassio,

Your recording would have sounded much better if you had your piano tuned (unless that is the sound you want). I would seriously recommend you buy a cheap tuning kit and instruction book and learn to tune, or pay for tunings.

... But your playing was good.

"Beauty is unbearable, drives us to despair, offering us for a minute the glimpse of an eternity that we should like to stretch out over the whole of time."

-Albert Camus,

Jim
Bassio, i loved ur intepretation. It really felt like u surrendered ot ur emotions, which is very important
In this duel though my say migh not mean anything, i have ot say urs was better by far.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
looking forward to listening to them!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Virtuso's had a very good 2 against 3
Bassio's was also very nicely interpreted..Hard choice.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
These two interpretation are really very different (almost the exact opposite)!

Both have very beautiful moments. While listening to Bassio I kept hoping he would let go (slow down) a little more in places. (I think the mid section was perfect.) Listening to Virtuoso gave me the opposite feeling.

On balance, Bassio's interpretation seemed a bit more consistent (and piano less out of tune :-))

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I listened to both recordings, and I would can't decide who would win, and I shouldn't vote anyways!

I agree that they are entirely different.

Bassio, your piano is out of tune! It's hard to judge. But otherwise, your inter. was extremely original, though somtimes unwieldy to the original.

P
P
I just can't decide...

Bassio's interpretation is a bit "too much interpreted" for me, and virtuoso's one is a bit too strictly "play the text".

I really enjoyed both though.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Firstly, I think you are both very brave to subject yourself to criticism from other forum members and go 'head to head' against each other in competition! You both play this nocturne extremely well and should be congratulated for fine performances.

Bassio - I like your tempo here and the way you handle the changes in character between sections (eg. measure 13-14 was particularly nice). Sometimes I felt the rubato was a bit excessive, especially the first measure and elsewhere when the left hand was alone. If you think of an accompanist to a singer you get the idea. The melody line can be pushed and pulled expressively but the accompaniment should feel less wayward in general. However I did feel that your playing was more directional in the right places (measures 16-22 were beautifully controlled). Your tone control and voicing of the top line were hampered by the piano you use. I know that not everyone can gain access to good instruments but I feel you owe it to yourself to upgrade at some point. Your playing deserves a quality piano. Try to soften the ends of phrases more (eg. measure 26 should be strong - weak as it resolves). Very accurate playing but check the RH notes at the end of measure 24 where you missed the C#. I thought this was just a slip but you do the same thing later in measure 48 (F#, not F natural). Your ending was perfect.

Virtuoso - This for me was more of a true 'andante' and had good movement overall. In contrast to Bassio I felt you could use more rubato. Listen to your recording again. At measure 30 you play a wonderfully expressive ritardando before the theme returns. I wanted to here a little more of this elsewhere. Your voicing was very sensitive and the top melodic line sang out beautifully. Don't be afraid to play louder when marked 'forte'. Your crescendo from measure 16 onwards didn't get strong enough for me. Your accuracy is also a strong point but check carefully the 4th beat of measures 25 and 49 where the accidentals apply from earlier in the measure (RH thumb notes).

For me the winner has to be........Bassio. This performance felt the more emotional of the two although as already mentioned the rubato was a bit over the top. I think that given an instrument of equal quality on which to play the decision would have been easier. This isn't to say that Virtuoso's playing was not good because it was, but Bassio seems to have a better grasp of this particular style.

All of this is of course just my opinion.

Pianist and piano teacher.
Bassio Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thank you for your comparative and thorough analysis here chris plus you also commented on both recordings so thanks

I really encourage other members to feel free and comment (and as for me, i won't be offended i swear, read my other thread about why i made the duels)

Where are the moderators? Shy to comment on our recordings? Both our moderators are top concert pianists and musicians as i know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission