2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments. Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
76 members (Abdol, Beemer, Calavera, accordeur, Bruce In Philly, c++, ADWyatt, 19 invisible), 990 guests, and 546 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Piano Polish
#504997 12/02/05 05:57 PM
R
OP Offline
R
A relative of mine just recently bought me the steinway supreme polish and the cleanse & conditioner. I was reading the back and it said for pianos, use steinway cream polish. Can I still use the polish I have now on the piano or do i need the cream polish? If i can use the ones I have now, how should I apply it the directions confuse me. One more thing why would steinway make polish for furniture?

Once during a concert at Carnegie Hall, the violinist Rachmaninoff was playing with lost his place in the music and whispered to Rachmaninoff, "Where are we?" Rachmaninoff replied, in all seriousness, "Carnegie Hall".
Re: Piano Polish
#504998 12/07/05 06:19 PM
D
D
Hi, Rach freak. I had the same problem. I have a steinway D. I tried to locate the "Steinway" Polish at three authorized steinway dealers. None carried the product. I called steinway world headquarters in Waltham (right next door) and they referred me to the factory. The factory gave me the name of local stores that carried it, including Linens & Things and Macy's Furniture and a mail order store like Hammacher Sclemmer. Linens and things thought I was crazy. Steinway said that they merely license their name to the polish manufacturers. I was frustrated, and a local piano store did carry "Yamaha" piano polish for ebony satin and polished. I feel that it worked fine. One can order the steinway polish from the internet, but I called their store and did not get any answer. I felt that they did not deserve my business. I would have liked to use the "approved" polish, but I did not want to wait. The yamaha polish worked fine. Hope this helps.

DK
#504999 12/08/05 10:10 AM
After my piano looking awful from wax buildup accumulated over ten years, I finally just used some plain old Lemon Pledge to totally clean all the old wax film off of the piano. In other words, just totally cleaned the surface.

My grand has a high luster black polyester finish. This is a liquid plastic, and I am sure Pledge is not going to harm it. The piano actually looks a lot better totally clean than when I was using expensive, film-type polishes.

People are going to write in and say, don't use Pledge, and that it may harm the piano. They have a right to their opinion, I suppose, but with a plastic-based varnish like polyester, it will not damage anything. It will get all the old wax off. And the dirt or dust, as well. That is my goal.

the Glyptodont
#505000 12/08/05 02:55 PM
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I have used Pledge and similar polishes for thirty-five years and nothing terrible has happened - looks as good as new. However, I do not spray it near the piano, which is closed - only a small quantity directly onto a cloth and not very often. 90% of the time a damp cloth is quite sufficient.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
#505001 12/08/05 03:23 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's not the piano finish you have to worry about with Pledge, it's the pinblock.

Regarding polish, I use automobile polish on my high-gloss finish. Works very well. Especially the newer ones that "fill in" tiny scratches. I had some very minor scratches next to the music desk, used the polish and now they are gone.

Derick

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
#505002 12/08/05 03:52 PM
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks for pointing that out, Derick. There are various articles on the internet explaining the pitfalls. Fortunately, my use of Pledge has been very infrequent and I have never sprayed it near the piano. Mostly I use a clean, damp cloth. I had better amend my post in case others squirt Pledge all over the place.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
#505003 12/09/05 11:34 AM
Derick
Which auto polish do you use?

#505004 12/09/05 12:24 PM
AJB Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I use the moist furniture wipes that are available in a sealed packets now in the UK and I guess in America too. Pledge and others do them and they are very cheap.

They do not leave a residue and they remove all finger marks, smears, dust etc and leave a mirror finish on my gloss black-polyester grand with no risk of sprays etc getting onto the strings. Highly recommended.

Kind regards

Adrian

Currently playing 2017 C212 with carbon fibre soundboard, WNG action. Working on Bach, Beethoven, Grieg mainly.
#505005 12/09/05 01:09 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have several "high-end" German polishes, but the best one I found for the piano is Klasse. However, better than that is a synthetic polymer polish; Blackfire. I have never seen Klasse or Blackfire in any store and have only purchased them thru the internet.

However, the best thing I have used is a wax, not a polish; Meguiars Tech Wax. You should be able to find that very readily in an AutoZone or places like that. It comes with a nice applicator and a high-quality microfiber cloth included.

Derick

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
#505006 12/09/05 01:14 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks Derick for the information. I was going to ask you where and what you are using. I have a few fine scratches around the music desk myself that I blame those on the spiral bindings on some of my books.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
#505007 12/09/05 05:35 PM
Ted is right.

If you decide to use Pledge or similar, you never spray it directly on the piano. You spray a light amount on a soft cloth and then wipe the piano in a swirling motion. And as Ted says, use it sparingly. Just enough to cut and remove dirt or any traces of old polish.

I'm no authority on car polish, but even the best car waxes are designed to leave a film. Ever notice how water beads up on your car right after a waxing?

Any polish designed to leave a film will not create problems the first year, or the second. But after --say-- 10 years, with layer after layer of film build-up, the piano tends to take on a dull, smudgy look.

One would imagine that a new application of the film-type polish would remove all previous coats. Alas, often it does not. The problem is worse along angles and in corners where it is more difficult to get a good draw with your polishing cloth.

A high-gloss finish should hardly need to be supplied with an additional film polish. Isn't that a little like trying to be "holier than the Pope," as the old saying goes?

the Glyptodont

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Korg announcements in a few days...
by clothearednincompo - 01/15/21 12:17 PM
Estonia 190
by Walkman - 01/15/21 12:02 PM
My 'Gentle' and 'quieter' tuning technique
by Beemer - 01/15/21 10:46 AM
The Yamaha CFX ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/15/21 10:39 AM
Hello, I'm back.
by CarlosCC - 01/15/21 10:30 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,263
Posts3,046,923
Members100,063
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission