2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Don't look to the left, don't look to the right, just look straight ahead where YOU are going. (That's what Adele Marcus said to me when I got accepted to Juilliard in 1979). She also said, 'There will be people who play better than you when you enter, worse than you, and as well as you.' I also say to my students, 'You're competing with yourself, not anyone else. You're the only one on that stage when you play.'

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Louise,

There is nothing wrong with nominating Canadian Schools. In fact, I knew some people who attended the University of Western Ontario (UWO) for piano studies (i am a University of Windsor Graduate; they have a good music school too). Don't forget Angela Hewitt came from Ottawa; I always regard her piano playing as a celebration. And world class!

- Mark

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ASBpiano:
I realize this school isn't in the US, but any word on McGill? I've read that it is the top music program in Canada. I'm interested in doing a double major, and a school known as "the Harvard of the North" will certainly be considered (at under $15,000/year!). I'm just hoping the piano department is a good one...
I had friends who went to McGill, and heard it is a great school for musicians. Others went to UWO (The University of Western Ontario), UW (University of Waterloo), and Wilfred Laurier University (also in Waterloo). The University of Ottawa also has a good reputation. Note it may be more expensive for a foreigner today; back in 1981, I paid $1500/yr tuition at the University of Windsor when I was studing engineering.

- Mark

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
At Brooklyn College, we pride our department on a faculty that's on the level of the best names and the tuition is definitely lower. This has attracted pupils to my studio from the 'names' to get their master degrees with me, and also transfer students. The wisest replies above refer to picking your teacher as top priority--that's what we all did. The piece of paper will always be the piece of paper when you graduate--it's the result of your artistry and ability to make money that's goin to count. I remember my wife's teacher said to her, 'You can put DMA" on your license plate--I believe what he meant was that you need to think about the effect of the DMA in the long term. That was certainly before DMAs were a prerequisite for job searches.

ASL Offline
Ok I have a question. I want to go to Eastman this summer. Has anybody here gone there? I see what you are saying about it, but I want to know if any body has gone there and what they thought.

T
T
Hi,

I am Young (14) and am interested in going to a Music college to improve my skills. Now I do not plan on making my career a career in music. I am actually planning on becoming and airline pilot. But i really dont need a degree in flying to be a pilot, just a degree in something, and alot of hours. laugh

So, Is there any music colleges in Texas, preferably Houston? Really I am open to any college in the states, mater of fact, any wear in the world.

Sorry if this has been brought up before in this thread, but I really don't have time to go though 5 pages!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Troy,

I think it's great that you are interested in music and flying airplanes! The great thing about music is that you can make as many mistakes as you want and the consequences are not (quite) as severe as piloting an aircraft!!!

Seriously, I am a professional concertising musician (classical music), and I chose an affordable state undergraduate program to get started where I had an outstanding teacher whom I liked and also a wonderful academic program - theory, history, ect...

Graduated without debt, and in position to take up music at the graduate level at a conservatory - Manhattan School of Music.

You may want to look at North Texas or U of Texas at Austin. I know teachers at both places (not in the piano dept.) but in other departments who are excellent. I'm rather certain that you could graduate without the debt monkey on your back and the go to flying school or whatever you choose. Also, make sure you take a lot of interesting electives. I did undergrad in Colorado, and my geology and natural science courses were wonderful.

Had I not gone into music, Today I'd probably be on the side of a Volcano somewhere looking at rocks!

Have fun.

BC smile

Musician, Singer, Teacher, Humorist, Dad...

“I have an inferiority complex, but it’s not a very good one.”
― Steven Wright
O
O
Troy, I second BC's suggestion of sticking with a state school, especially if you are in Texas. UNT and UT both have excellent music departments. The piano faculty at UNT is exceptional, as is the entire music program. And it's very affordable. I recommend it to anyone who struggles with issues re: cost vs. quality. If you are talented and determined, you will perhaps be awarded a music scholarship at UNT. It doesn't amount to much (maybe $1,500 a year). However, that scholarship entitles you to 'in-state tuition', no matter where you are from - and so the cost of attending is very cheap. Tuition and fees for a music performance major run around $5,600 a year (plus living expenses). If you are interested in flying, the Dallas/Ft. Worth area would be full of opportunities as well. Good luck with your search.

T
T
What about The Music branch as ASU http://music.asu.edu/ Is that a decent school? Some one told me that its not that great of a school.

Remember im not looking at music as a career, (atleast not now) just something to give me formal training as a pianist. and Concert Pianist would be nice.

Thanks for your replies!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do you know about Jon Nakamatsu? His undergraduate major was German. His graduate degree from Stanford was in education. He had the same piano teacher for years and years. He studied theory privately. I think it is the teacher that counts along with your skill and motivation. Although I admit when I moved to a new area I sought the best teacher I could find. He happened to be a professor at a public university. It cost me less to enroll in the university to take a few music classes and take private lessons than it would have cost me to study with him privately. Good Luck.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Best in the world?

How about the Paris Conservatory....I don't know the answer....but I thought this was way up there.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I don't know about the best conservatory, but I will say that I got my Masters at University of Houston. I studied with Abbey Simon. I count this experience as one of the most significant in my life. He is an incredible player, and an absolutely incredible teacher. He's getting up in years, but heard his recital last year which was a BIG program and he played marvelously. It would be an honor for ANYONE to study with him. He is one of the few that can claim at this point a direct descendancy from the golden age of pianism, namely Josef Hoffman. He studied at Curtis in his youth with Hoffman. I enjoy very much watching Classic Arts Showcase and seeing Hoffman play, noting that many things technical and aesthetic have indeed been passed down from Hoffman. An absolute "trip to the mountain", and if any of you have the opportunity I heartily advise you to seek out one of the grand masters ...before it is too late. Note however, he has a very strong personality. I still chuckle about some of the comments he made to me at the time, in a slightly less PC world. He will generally leave your testicles intact, but his opinion will be known. And...in case you are female he's just as tough on the fairer sex. All of this is in pursuit of musical perfection, and the standard is exceedingly high...as it should be. For what it is worth, I have ex roomates that studied at Peabody, IU, and Catholic U that note that the training I received from him was comprehensive.What they really meant to say was despite my strong personality, he managed to whup up on me long enough to make me a halfway decent musician. Despite his concert schedule at the time I had lessons every other day when he was in town, which was fine for my learning style.
John Pels

T
T
Well, now that I know that University of Houston Has a school of music. Im pretty excited.

Is the Moores School of Music a recommended school? I am not looking for the best and most challenging school in music. Just a decent one.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Troy, if you are only 14, you have plenty of time to make up your mind. My son is presently getting his private pilot's license, ostensibly to make a go of it in the Air Force. It has always been an interest of mine as well. In fact, I have an unbuilt kitplane in the garage. U of H (Moores) is a wonderful school. Check out their International Piano Festival in November. A nice lineup of players as always. We had Olga Kern last year, along with Abbey Simon and a professor from Peabody whose name escapes me. I think the big draw this year is Jean Philippe Collard, and a young Argentine pianist that just won a major contest whose name escapes me as well. There is a website.
John Pels

I
I
Troy - just for your interest, I read music at University and studied with a professor from the Royal Academy of Music (in the UK) until I was 21. I then joined the Royal Air Force as a pilot. 16 years later I am now leaving the RAF at my initial exit point, and going back to a Music Conservatoire to do a Masters in Piano Performance, with the aim of picking up a career of sorts in music. If that doesn't work, then I have the option of joining the airlines.

So you're not that strange!!

T
T
I dont think im strange,. Just trying to figure out how to go about my career plan!

thanks for the help guys!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was studying music at the University for 2.5 years. I got nervous thinking the purpose of the university was to study something to find a JOB. So I got my degree in BACTERIOLOGY and then spent a year in graduate school in PHARMACOLOGY. Then I did research for 5 years. For me the whole thing SUCKED. I am going this fall at the age of 53 to complete my piano major. If I had it to do over again it would be piano all the way. But I have to admit....I did not know it at the time..........now I am more motivated and happier to play the piano.......

C
C
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro has an excellent School of Music. The UNCG School of Music graduate program has been recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top 15 music institutions in the nation associated with colleges and universities.

http://www.uncg.edu/mus

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
UNCG is quite good, as is East Carolina University.

For what it's worth, I graduated from Campbell University's music program. It was a great experience to say the least.

I. Bruton
Acoustic Pianos at home: Yamaha C3, Yamaha P22
Digitals at home: Yamaha P125, Roland RD-800, Kawai Novus N5S
C
C
Yes, East Carolina University and the North Carolina School of the Arts are good schools, but UNC Greensboro is the only school in NC that has a Doctoral program in music.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission