2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 10 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by Palindrome:
Originally posted by John Citron:
[b] ...Claviersbaroques - Toronto ----- Custom instrument builder and used instrument dealer....
Just returned from Toronto a few hours ago. I was going to stop by their place but they told me that although they do make clavichords to order, they don't have any finished ones in their possession at present. [/b]
Thank you for the update. How did you contact them? I've been calling them off and on because I want to setup an appointment for next spring. They will most likely be travelling down to the Early Music Festival in Boston, and I want them to do some maintenance on my virginal and my clavichord.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well, I e-mailed them at mail@claviersbaroques.com, and, because they warned they're having trouble with a spam filter, also telephoned their area code 416 number and left a message with my e-mail address. Right now they're a bit busy providing continuo services to Cosi Fan Tutti, which might hinder their responses.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
J
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by Palindrome:
Well, I e-mailed them at mail@claviersbaroques.com, and, because they warned they're having trouble with a spam filter, also telephoned their area code 416 number and left a message with my e-mail address. Right now they're a bit busy providing continuo services to Cosi Fan Tutti, which might hinder their responses.
Thank you for the email and update! I tried emailing them, but their mailbox is full. I'll try the 416 number tomorrow.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Were there no harpsichord builders who thought of lifting all the dampers with a pedal (à la piano)?
The dampers and jacks are the same parts on a harpsichord, so lifting the dampers would play all the notes, unless that rank of jacks were turned off first. If you turned off the rank of jacks, you could not play the undamped string. Of course, it could be used to vibrate sympathetically with another choir of strings. There were, in fact, apparently harpsichords that had a stop that held a rank of jacks up, but the references I have read did not indicate that that it was used as a damper pedal.

Semipro Tech
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission