2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by LWpianistin:
haha... :rolleyes: :p I know because there are only 11 of us at my school ( 6 male, 5 female). 3 of the girls (myself excluded) have boyfriends/fiances, and 4 of the guys have girlfriends. I know about the others because, well, come on...it's a small music department...word gets around fast....
Oh, to be so young and innocent.... I know men who have been MARRIED 25 years with kids and the whole nine yards, and suddenly they break out, get divorced and start living the life that they have longed for all the time with another man. The truth is, nobody knows the sexuality of others for sure. As for me, I simply don't care as long as they're happy. But don't think that all things are like they seem. There are lots of things out there that fly, but that does not make them birds.
(This thread now being on the 7th page certainly proves that sex does sell!!) laugh

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
(This thread now being on the 7th page certainly proves that sex does sell!!)
Oh, most certainly. I'll never forget all the nasty looks I got from women when a professor posed the question, "Why would [X Company] hire attractive young women to market their products when the dominant sales force is knowledgable males?" to which I responded, "Because sex sells."

The girls hated it. I got an "A" in the class. I suppose that also answers itself. wink

And since the girl I'm interested in isn't interested, I've convincing proof that one of two things is true: either sex doesn't sell, or I'm not sexy...and we already proved the former false. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ChatNoir:

(This thread now being on the 7th page certainly proves that sex does sell!!) laugh
I remember when this thread first started, I didn't want to post here and I figured that the thread wouldn't last very long anyway.

Hmmm... :rolleyes:

Sam
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by LWpianistin:
[b] haha... :rolleyes: :p I know because there are only 11 of us at my school ( 6 male, 5 female). 3 of the girls (myself excluded) have boyfriends/fiances, and 4 of the guys have girlfriends. I know about the others because, well, come on...it's a small music department...word gets around fast....
Oh, to be so young and innocent.... I know men who have been MARRIED 25 years with kids and the whole nine yards, and suddenly they break out, get divorced and start living the life that they have longed for all the time with another man. The truth is, nobody knows the sexuality of others for sure. As for me, I simply don't care as long as they're happy. But don't think that all things are like they seem. There are lots of things out there that fly, but that does not make them birds.
(This thread now being on the 7th page certainly proves that sex does sell!!) laugh [/b]
well, yes. good point. i don't know their sexuality for sure, nor do i care. actually, the woman who sold my mom her house had just recently gotten a divorce because her husband decided he was gay, and they have 2 children...

That's right...I have the same birthday as Mozart. If only it meant something and I could have one thousandth of his genius...in my dreams, i suppose.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Derulux:
Oh, most certainly. I'll never forget all the nasty looks I got from women when a professor posed the question, "Why would [X Company] hire attractive young women to market their products when the dominant sales force is knowledgable males?" to which I responded, "Because sex sells."

The girls hated it. I got an "A" in the class. I suppose that also answers itself. wink

And since the girl I'm interested in isn't interested, I've convincing proof that one of two things is true: either sex doesn't sell, or I'm not sexy...and we already proved the former false. wink
yes. i must admit i grimanced when i read that question and (good) answer. Of course, it depends on the company. Why does sex sell? Especially to men? And I'm sure companies hire sexy men to sell products as well, but not nearly as must as companies hiring women purely for their looks. hmmm...i have to go to theory class now, and won't be back until after dinner...very interesting topic. i'll be back to defend myself :p

That's right...I have the same birthday as Mozart. If only it meant something and I could have one thousandth of his genius...in my dreams, i suppose.
I'd be willing to expand or respond to a thread simply titled, "Sex and the Piano" with every type of subject available: Historical; Emotional; physical; portrayal in art; potrayal in film; etc, etc... actual life experiences!!!

Now there's a thread with a real razor's edge to it. Truth is always more entertaining, it's just getting it from people that's tough.

Theodore
Alamo Music Center
San Antonio,Texas
T
TS Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by Brendan:
Richter was definitely gay (or bisexual), but Gould's sexuality has always been in question. I believe that he was asexual, if anything.
Hahaha, so true! I've read that a guy once made a pass at Gould, and he almost fell out of the window in shock. laugh And I bet similar reactions happened with women. wink

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
And I'm sure companies hire sexy men to sell products as well, but not nearly as must as companies hiring women purely for their looks.
Well, naturally sexier people tend to 'have it easier' in life, purely because we are all attracted to attractive things. (This is a rather redundant phrase. wink ) But research has found (and don't ask me who did it...the reports we read in class didn't have names attached to them) that, while men will buy from sexy women purely because the women are sexy, women will not do the same regardless. So, it is easier to sell to a man than it is to a woman.

This, however, is a generality that I suspect isn't a complete picture. Look at how many women oogle over Brad Pitt, Orlando Bloom, and Johnny Depp. They go to see movies with them in it purely because they're in it. This also happened once upon a time in Mexico with Leonardo DiCaprio (I believe "The Beach" would be the movie... "Titanic" sold itself).

So, with women, if you're selling sex, then sex sells. But you can't use sex to sell a different product. (I think in the movie case, psychologically, it was about a 'fantasy', and not about the movie.)

Similarly, men cannot use sex to sell anything. Take, for example, the traffic ticket. Women hike up a skirt, pull down their tops, grab a tissue and bawl. They get out of the ticket. Men are SOL on that one.

So, you see, women can, more often than men, use sex to their advantage to get their way. Companies have picked up on it, and over the last 20-25 years or so, have been hiring sexy women to capitalize on this competitive advantage. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[QB] Similarly, men cannot use sex to sell anything. Take, for example, the traffic ticket. Women hike up a skirt, pull down their tops, grab a tissue and bawl. They get out of the ticket. Men are SOL on that one. [QB]
Not necessesarily. I got myself out of two tickets by just using my quick wit and knowing how to apply it. Just because I'm handsome, doesn't mean I'm stupid! laugh

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
[QB] Similarly, men cannot use sex to sell anything. Take, for example, the traffic ticket. Women hike up a skirt, pull down their tops, grab a tissue and bawl. They get out of the ticket. Men are SOL on that one. [QB]
Not necessesarily. I got myself out of two tickets by just using my quick wit and knowing how to apply it. Just because I'm handsome, doesn't mean I'm stupid! laugh
Yes, but note that you used your wit, and not your sex appeal. That's what I'm saying. wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[b]
Yes, but note that you used your wit, and not your sex appeal. That's what I'm saying. wink [/b]
Dont jump to conclusions. Maybe the cop thought he was cute. It happens. It may have happened to me. I've gotten out of two speeding tickets. And on one of them, I think I might have sensed that vibe.

Further, wit is attractive. Getting out of a ticket requires you get the cop to like you. No way around that. And if he likes you...well, I dont wanna get into a whole psych thing here, but you know, sex appeal is not black and white genderically speaking.

I was born the year Glenn Gould stop playing concerts. Coincidence?
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nooo, it was my wit. Really. And if you could see me, you would know I'm not lying........... :rolleyes:

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
well, yes, it does seem that it is easier to sell things to men based on the seller's sexiness, but i didn't want to say that earlier as it might have come across as a rather blunt assumption... yes, the speeding ticket thing...very true, but is it because women that do that are sluts or witty? or maybe both...haha. and possibly the policemen are gullible? or just men?i have a feeling that if a straight woman tried to pull that trick on a staight policewoman, it wouldn't work.... the tissue and bawling part did make me think of something. why is it that *most of the time* when a woman starts to cry, a man seems to be frightened and clueless. is it purely a biological factor? or does society also play a role in that? anyway...back to our off-original-topic topic:
the movie thing...haha...yes, i must admit i had a 12 year old's crush on Leo Dicaprio whome *hangs head in embarassment and shame*, and i do have a picture of Johnny Depp hanging on my wall...but there IS a piano in the picture smile so sex does sell to women, of course, but more to men, i guess...such a complex topic....

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

I have a friend who's convinced that telling a girl he's gay is the ultimate chat up line.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Dear god, what a let down for my 777th post.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I was interested in a woman a few years ago; she has a Masters Degree in violin and plays quite well.

Then she got married and I didn't see her for a couple of years ... bumped into her though, and guess what?

Yeah, she'd recently gotten divorced -- the guy turned out to be gay. [I refrained from asking her how she could not have known ....]

In the interests of full disclosure: a little later this woman married some guy who, unfortunately, turned out not to want any children, whereas she did/does, and her biological clock is winding down toward zero.

Why would she have made such a commitment without first finding out about the children issue??

pianodevo
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
"I have a friend who's convinced that telling a girl he's gay is the ultimate chat up line. "

haha. i think that's hilarious!...but is he serious when saying that? not that it would really make a difference....

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
oh WOW! what a let down for my 100th post....

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
onto the 8th page, i see...

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I have a friend who's convinced that telling a girl he's gay is the ultimate chat up line.
You're not the only one with one a' those. I just laugh and shake my head. Sure, it's a great conversation piece, and you can even make really good friends with a girl that way, but if you plan to spend your Saturday in any way other than shopping at a department store, you'd better come up with a different line. :p wink

the guy turned out to be gay. [I refrained from asking her how she could not have known ....]
Yeah, usually it's a dead giveaway when he's more interested in the milk-man than she is. :p

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission