2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Steven - I thought I had hit upon a welcome idea. The reason that we participate here in PW is because of what we do in our real lives, namely playing and being involved in music. The information that we gather is information that we put to use in our real worlds. So one of us living in Italy, America, Ghana, China, Australia, Poland etc. might feel the need to talk about a certain composer or composition, but be clueless as to how that name is pronounced. I thought I had a brilliant idea - If we're an international community, then we have the experts right at our doorstep. The Germans could create audiofiles of German names, the Frenchman could do the same for French names, the Russians for the Russian names etc. I was excited about the idea. I did not expect it to create controversy or hard feelings.

To bring this to a close - I was actually just wondering whether there would be interest in creating a pronunciation guide done by those who have the matching languages.

D
D
Originally posted by keystring:
Canada, for example, is officially bilingual with every school child being obligated to learn the French language.
They are?

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
To bring this to a close - I was actually just wondering whether there would be interest in creating a pronunciation guide done by those who have the matching languages.
Personally, I would find it useful. I don't see any anti-US-English bias here, just a resource people could avail themselves of if they so desired. I have no problems with German and Italian, but even though I studied French for some years there are some names (Poulenc being a good example, actually) where I hear a number of people with firm and differing views. POO-lunk is probably the dominant pronunciation in the circles in which I move, but Plunk and Poo-LENK have their strong advocates!

I think the accented syllable question is very interesting actually. Take a name like Hiroshima. I have been told that in Japanese the syllables are accented equally. Here in Australia we just don't seem to be able to do that, and there are those that hear equal accentuation as HirOSHima, and those who hear the same pronunciation as HIRoSHEEma. And I suspect it's because in English (or perhaps our Aussie version of it smile ) there aren't any words where we have equal accentuation, so when we hear one, our ears provide what isn't in fact there.

Du holde Kunst...
Originally posted by Dave123:
[b] Canada, for example, is officially bilingual with every school child being obligated to learn the French language.
They are? [/b]
Aren't they? At least in the public school system afaik. confused Except for Quebec which is officially unilingually French which is another story.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
keystring, I didn't wish to quash your excitement about having audio for foreign names spoken in their source languages. It is an interesting idea, and I think it would be pretty cool, too—but I also have a background in linguistics and an atypical interest level in all related areas.

I only meant to question its ultimate usefulness to the majority of English speakers, or, for that matter, speakers of any language whose sounds are significantly different. FWIW, I also think it's pretty cool to be able to pronounce foreign words and names authentically—but also realize that, unless one is conversing in a rarefied stratum of academics amongst whom authentic pronunciations are de rigueur, it's likely to be regarded as precious and pretentious.

Maybe that's a sad commentary on American culture, but I've learned to rein in the pedantry ... to try, anyway ... a little bit ... in my speech, at least. wink

Steven

D
D
Keystrings I have sent a quick PM to you, I don't wish to take the thread off topic.

Dave - got it - thanks.
Steve - might this also be cultural, with an internal culture from place to place? Because I had that discussion with my son when I pronounced Vivaldi the Italian way, (but with less of an ... erm ... cadence? to it) and he said it was pretentious. But Viv-awl-di sounds awful to my ear. So I assume that at the arts high school they must have pronounced it with the "awl". It's an interesting question.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Most of the music I do is with french speakers, and when I listen to classical music radio it's always in french. It's always POO-lank, but the n is very nasal and you have to kind of swallow the 'k': it comes from right at the back of the throat.

John
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Regarding syllable stress in French, this should clarify why "Poulenc" (or any French word) would seem, in isolation, to be stressed on the final syllable but not necessarily otherwise:
French words are sometimes said to be stressed on the final syllable, but actually French has no word stress at all. Rather, it has a prosody whereby the final or next-to-final syllable of a string of words is stressed. This string may be equivalent to a clause or a phrase. However, when a word is said alone, it receives the full prosody and therefore the stress as well.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_(linguistics)

Steven

T
T
As if further confirmation of JohnEB's first-hand experience were required, Poulenc is pronounced "pou-langk", rather than "-longk" (which is an approximation you often hear in England) and certainly not "-lenk" (?). Even in the south of France the only difference would be a more audible "n" rather than a change in the vowel.

Timbo77, I can't relate to "lang" and "long". Do you mean the "en" sound as in Jean, vente, temps, with a K at the end?

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
The "a" in "pou-langk" is the short "o"
sound in English, as in the word "on"--
or the "a" sound in the word "fawn."
The "o" in "pou-longk" is the longer "o"
sound in English, as in the word "longer."

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Concerning earlier replies again . . . sotto voce, that audio clip is exactly what I mean; the one I dislike!

Patience's the best teacher, and time the best critic. - F.F.Chopin
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by BruceD:
Final consonants in French words (names) are [b]usually silent, except for C, R, F, and L.
Some notable exceptions :

Herold
Berlioz
Saint-Saëns
Hahn

Regards, [/b]
You don't pronounce the s at the end of Saint-Saens, and Hahn is not a French name, but your other examples are right. You will also find that the French are less rigorous with the rule, and will say the s at the end of fils, among many others.

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by Gyro:
The "a" in "pou-langk" is the short "o"
This makes no sense to a speaker of Australian Engish, where the vowel sounds in the words "on" and "fawn" are quite different, and where the "o" sound in "longer" is not longer than the "o" sound in "on". Just so you know smile .

Du holde Kunst...
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by hopinmad:
Concerning earlier replies again . . . sotto voce, that audio clip is exactly what I mean; the one I dislike!
hopinmad, it's fair enough to dislike it. But you described the American pronunciation previously "a much stronger stress on the second syllable," and the audio clip doesn't represent that.

Steven

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It doesn't?!?!?!?!

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by currawong:
Originally posted by Gyro:
[b] The "a" in "pou-langk" is the short "o"
This makes no sense to a speaker of Australian Engish, where the vowel sounds in the words "on" and "fawn" are quite different, and where the "o" sound in "longer" is not longer than the "o" sound in "on". Just so you know smile . [/b]
currawong, you are right, of course:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_English_low_back_vowels

I was going to post this earlier, but it's just not feasible to debunk all of Gyro's misinformation. You have to choose your battles, after all!

Steven

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
It doesn't?!?!?!?!
Not to my ears, anyway.

This is what I posted before, so I'll just say it again:
Originally posted by sotto voce:
From Merriam-Webster (identical to the pronunciation I already provided from Wikipedia, but not written in IPA):

\ˈshō-ˌpan, -ˌpaⁿ\

This is Merriam-Webster's audio:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?bixcho05.wav=Chopin
[b]I give only a slight stress on the first, if any actually, and others I've heard in the area say it the same.
That sounds like a description of the Merriam-Webster audio clip, and it's the pronunciation I've heard all my life.[/b]
I hear primary stress on the first syllable and secondary stress on the second, just as shown in Merriam-Webster's transcription.

Steven

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Seeing as we're hearing different things there it may be that I think what I mean then is a prolonging of the second syllable, in that clip you can hear it, and I'm used too no prolonging at all, and I think that's what I mean by the stress.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission