2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#496881 10/30/03 07:38 PM
OP Offline
if you've read my other thread, you know i've been out of the loop (piano) for 10 years now and consequently i've forgotten a lot of things. I've dug out my old books and tonight I found all my certificates/diplomas/whatever-you-call-them's.

I admit it.. i just never reallly knew but now i need to know. how does this work? how many of these can you end up getting and is there a point where you actually "graduate"? I've searched the net for answers but can't find the info i'm looking for. Maybe i'm just looking in the wrong place and if someone could direct me that would be great. I've searched pianoguild.com and surprisingly found little to no info on it, only forms.

I've got 6 of these that say "National Piano Playing Auditions" accross the top. the last one says "preparatory class 1993, section B", blue star, and a report card in the back. I always played in front of a 'judge' once a year for them.. and they were goals for us but... i dunno if it's "worth" something or what.

thanks,
-T

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Your certificates are from the National Guild of Piano Teachers. They're not as strong an organization as they used to be, but they are still active in some places.

There is no national standard of grading for piano in the United States, although there is a project in the works to create an RCM/ABRSM type organization.

As for what your certificates mean, they mean what they say, that you did Prep B in 1993. That will have some meaning for teachers involved in Guild auditions, and it will mean nothing to others.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
OP Offline
Thanks for replying, Kreisler..

I had never heard of the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music before you mentioned it. Too bad it wasn't available (or at least my piano teacher wasn't a member) during my 6 years of lessons. I think I would have been forced to learn more than I did. My teacher never taught me scales, appregios, chords, nothing.. frown But it was also not a requirment of the National Guild of Piano Teachers for our 'exams'. We just showed up at the local University Music Department and played a list of pieces... and that was that.

I remember one year in particular I had not practiced enough and made quite a few mistakes during one of these exams.. i was still passed. So you see, it wasn't much of a challenge.

Thankfully it seems like the ABRSM has gained popularity in the states. Not as much as I would like but still, it's here. It seems if I want to participate and be examined I'd have to drive 4 hours north to Tampa... or at least that's where my nearest abrsm representative resides.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission