2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Welcome back, Amelia.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hey Amelia,

When you say you take a break every week, what do you mean, exactly? Do you take one day a week off, or a light practice day, or...?

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Thanks Frycek! smile

Originally posted by CherryCoke:
Hey Amelia,

When you say you take a break every week, what do you mean, exactly? Do you take one day a week off, or a light practice day, or...?
When I say I take a break, i mean 1 day off the piano or if I do touch it I just enjoy myself as well as one light practice day

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by sotto voce:
Originally posted by Ridicolosamente:
[b] I'm also wondering if the idea of talent vs. diligence is a large factor in the practice time discrepancy. There are hose that get by on natural talent, and those that have to chug away like robots for the same final product.

Daniel
You're right, of course, but that's become a controversial and rather unpopular thing to acknowledge (in the Teachers' Forum and the Adult Beginners' Forum, anyway).

Steven [/b]
I do think there is such a thing as talent. One cannot ignore the fact that genetics does play a role in how well we can do things. It is something that must be cultivated, however. If one doesn't do the hard work to learn a good technique, how to read well, how to play expressively, then it just won't happen magically.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally posted by Morodiene:
Originally posted by sotto voce:
[b]
Originally posted by Ridicolosamente:
[b] I'm also wondering if the idea of talent vs. diligence is a large factor in the practice time discrepancy. There are hose that get by on natural talent, and those that have to chug away like robots for the same final product.

Daniel
You're right, of course, but that's become a controversial and rather unpopular thing to acknowledge (in the Teachers' Forum and the Adult Beginners' Forum, anyway).

Steven [/b]
I do think there is such a thing as talent. One cannot ignore the fact that genetics does play a role in how well we can do things. It is something that must be cultivated, however. If one doesn't do the hard work to learn a good technique, how to read well, how to play expressively, then it just won't happen magically. [/b]
ok, i'm going to add something, since i belong to the category of talented students. I don't call myself talented, rather others do.

even for talented students, they still need good teachers, and to cultivate that talent as Morodiene says alot, in fact hours of hard work needs to be put in.

others who are not like me often say "oh, you're so talented, you play so beautifully etc., so it must be easy for you". and even students who i know in school keep pointing that out but they do not know how many hours I set aside to practice and listen to music every day or almost every day.

so even talented students have to work, sometimes, harder then others

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
M
M
Exactly, Amy. And I also think that those who say someone is talented after hearing them perform, has no idea of the hard work involved. They just think if you're talented it all comes naturally with minimal work.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Practice?

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally posted by Morodiene:
Exactly, Amy. And I also think that those who say someone is talented after hearing them perform, has no idea of the hard work involved. They just think if you're talented it all comes naturally with minimal work.
by the way Morodiene, Amy just happens to be my nickname haha...my mom almost called me Amy instead of Amelia

Thanks! It is so rare to have someone who agrees with me laugh

B
B
Originally posted by Amelialw:
even students who i know in school keep pointing that out but they do not know how many hours I set aside to practice and listen to music every day or almost every day.
Amelia, thanks for this -- listening on a regular basis stands out for me from your post as something I have to give some serious attention to!!

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
you're welcome! glad that I could help...I only started this a yr back and it has made a sig difference in my playing

It depends on what one wishes to achieve.

Expansion of repertoire is the true time consumer, but if one wishes to improve facility it is better to have very short sessions.

I often do as little as half an hour every other day and see consistent improvement.

Simply rather marvellous.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission