2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
71 members (BabaZeba, Bill McKaig,RPT, bobrunyan, accordeur, 3B43, Carey, astrotoy, Charles Cohen, 16 invisible), 541 guests, and 422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Back Pain
#494439 03/17/08 06:03 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I have recently returned to practicing the piano after a two year absence. For some background information, I was attending Chapman University in Orange California as a Piano performance major two years ago when I went on a two year mission for my church. During these two years I did not have any opportunities to practice. I came home in the middle of semesters, so as of right now I will be preparing to re-audition at my old school by practicing quite a bit.

I am currently dealing with quite a bit of pain in my back while I practice. Before I left I had this same problem but now that I am back it is worrying me a bit more. I practice quite a bit, 6-8 hours a day. I would like to think that I am pretty relaxed while I practice. I have never had pain in my hands or wrists. The only place I have pain is my back. As I practice I usually work in hour blocks. I usually practice one piece for 50 minutes and take a 10 minute break. I figure that the back pain is just a result of sitting up straight for a long period of time. However with this said, I have also read that there should not be any pain as one plays or practices the piano. So I am looking for some ideas, is this a normal result of sitting up for extended periods of time, or is there something that I need to fix?

I feel I am sitting at the right height and distance from the piano. When I sit I feel comfortable and don't feel any tension. I sit up straight, but not like a board, in a relaxed 90 degree angle. The pain comes after about two hours of practice and is in the lower back. It gets pretty painful after a full eight hour practice session. It makes it difficult to concentrate and I am worried about permanent injury. Two years ago I simply dealt with it, but I want to find out if there is something I should be doing differently.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Re: Back Pain
#494440 03/17/08 08:12 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i would suggest you have someone else checking on your posture. it does sound like a posture problem, especially for the lower back pain. you could be sitting in a comfortable position, but it doesn't mean it would be the correct posture since the right posture wouldn't result in pain, back pain or any pain.

one thing i could think of is your sitting position and the way you bend your upper body forward (as we often need to when playing). if you lean forward from your waist, then that's the problem, unless you lean forward from your hip bones. in any case, either you check on it yourself or have someone else do that.

also, no matter how long you practice, you always need a break every half to one hour in between.

#494441 03/17/08 08:56 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Recent studies have shown that office workers who sit for extended periods of time do suffer physically from that; work stations are being designed that allow office workers to continue their jobs both sitting and standing.

It would not be surprising to learn that your back pain results from so much sitting. However, it sounds to me that this problem is one that should be addressed to a medical practitioner, not to a group of (possibly) uninformed - however sympathetic - internet users.

Everyone's physique is different; people can react differently to physical situations and to physical stress. See a doctor!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#494442 03/17/08 09:09 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You might want to try strengthening your abdominal muscles.

Or perhaps, you might experiment using a chair with a back on it. Whenever you're not playing (maybe studying the music or are resting for a few minutes), you can lean back to give your back some relief.

Stretching exercises can also help relieve back pain and reduce the risk of injury.

#494443 03/17/08 09:15 PM
you can experiment with different postures and heights to get some relief.

i figured out my back pain was from pedalling. when it hurts i pedal with my left foot.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
#494444 03/18/08 12:24 AM
I read I book about what pianist should know about the body, and it explains that there is a part of the pelvis that when properly sit, it can sustain the whole body without tensioning any back muscles. It is not only about sitting up straight.

I have tried to follow the suggestions in the book and it did help me with lower back pain. Nowadays, I try to sit with my hip a little bit forward to the piano.

chen

#494445 03/18/08 03:32 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I'd suggest getting an expert to check your posture - like an osteopath or other physician. I have a friend who hasn't played piano in about 2 years because of back problems - you should probably get it seen to professionally .

John
#494446 03/18/08 04:00 AM
Try putting blocks under the back legs of your stool. It is far more ergonomically sound.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Used Grand Buying Advice - $10,000 Budget
by Piparoo - 12/02/20 10:56 AM
Is this something I should worry about?
by ul7 - 12/02/20 10:48 AM
Music Notation Question
by aMused - 12/02/20 09:45 AM
Inspection ethics
by bobrunyan - 12/02/20 09:45 AM
DIY Audio In
by Skyscrapersax - 12/02/20 05:04 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,201
Posts3,029,585
Members99,449
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission