2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#491131 10/25/07 02:17 AM
B
OP Offline
B
I'm thinking about learning this concerto... is it relatively manegable? How does it compare in difficulty to the other popular concertos?

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
It's always hard to provide an answer without knowing your current level. So my answer would be short. This is normally considered a quite approachable piece expecting the player having nimble fingers...

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
what is your current rep? that would make it easier for us to tell you whether it would be managable for you.

It depends, are you going to learn the entire concerto or just 1 movement?
It is considered as one of the easier piano concertos, not the easiest though...

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Well I've played it - it's very enjoyable, but AndrewG is right about the "nimble fingers" ! How are your scales? smile

Du holde Kunst...
B
OP Offline
B
My scales are all right I guess

I'm playing Bach's Organ prelude in g minor transcribed for piano by siloti, suggestion diabolique, a haydn sonata, and althought i've recently put it away, tchaikovsky's dumka

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I suggest that you learn a few more sonatas by Mozart,Haydn,Beethoven or Schubert, concertos are like sonatas, and skills that you pick up from playing sonatas are the basis piano concertos.
you should learn bach's preludes and fugues too, those are really what every pianist has to learn.
If you really want to learn the Mendelssohn concerto, your scales should be really even and quick, practise more technique, learn a few other pieces and you'll be ready to go.

is this your 1st piano concerto?

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by Amelialw:
you should learn bach's preludes and fugues too, those are really what every pianist has to learn.
If you really want to learn the Mendelssohn concerto, your scales should be really even and quick, practise more technique, learn a few other pieces and you'll be ready to go.
Whilst this may be good general advice, the question here was how this concerto compares in difficulty with other popular concertos - I would imagine this includes the Grieg and Schumann for example.
I don't think Big Bad Bill was really asking us to tell him whether or not he's ready to play it. That's probably something for him and his teacher to decide.
My answer to his question (I've played the Mendelssohn) was that yes, it is relatively manageable. Lots of quick fingerwork, especially in the 3rd movement, but nothing that I found extremely taxing. It's a bit like an extra helping of all the tangly bits in some mozart concertos smile . But as I haven't actually played the Grieg or Schumann, for example, I can't offer a detailed comparison.

Du holde Kunst...
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Schumann's and Grieg's piano concertos are harder then the mendelssohn concerto.

the mendelssohn concerto requires very good technique, and musicality as well especially for all those appeggios and fast runs for the 3rd movement.

the schumann concerto is harder, it requires very solid technique and there are quite many spots that are hard to play well especially when there has to be a more mature sound to it. there are quite a few tricky spots with strange fingerings and may feel odd to the hand when one 1st learns it. I am currently learning it myself, and it is hard especially since it's my 1st piano concerto.

not so sure about the grieg concerto, only heard a live performance of it and I don't really fancy it.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Amelia :

With all the glib advice you like to give about what others "should" play and what technique they need to work on to be able to do so, I have to wonder why you don't seem to be following your own advice.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I do follow it actually, I do nowadays

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you, I've decided to wait about a month to learn it, meanwhile I'm learning some prelude and fugues.

any suggestions of particular good sonatas/bach?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Bill,

Have you seen Sydney Smith's Op.109b, Reminiscence of Mendelssohn's g minor Concerto?

You can download this extremely rare score here:

http://www.sydneysmitharchive.org.uk/smithscores.html

Public domain, of course.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
B
OP Offline
B
I cant seem to find the reminiscence of his g minor concerto there ... frown

oh unless its the one just called the mendelssohn g minor concerto... laugh

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission