2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#490249 07/22/01 09:57 PM
D
da Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Has anybody started lessons on Alfred Adult
Basic Piano Course. If so after one year where are you now? I want to learn classical. After these books where would I go next?

#490250 07/23/01 04:22 AM
S
S
hi,

i play the piano one year now and i'm in book two.

sj@@k

#490251 07/23/01 09:35 AM
M
M
da,

I started out on Alfred's Adult Basic Piano Course on my own two years ago. I wanted to take lessons then, but couldn't afford it at that time, so I taught myself for one year using these books. I completed books 1 and 2 before starting lessons a little over a year ago. My teacher does not use lesson books, so I don't use Alfred anymore, except for sight reading exercises. As for learning classical music, my suggestions would be to look at the Master Composer Library series by Neil A. Kjos Company (www.kjos.com) as well as Alfred's Masterworks Series (www.alfred.com). Bastien and Faber & Faber are others that you might want to look at.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike

#490252 07/23/01 09:52 AM
R
R
Hi da, after playing for one year, you can make selections on playing simple classical pieces, as they range from simple ones to the diffcult ones, maybe you can try this book which i find it good for starters " Everybody's favourite series No3 piano pieces for children". It contains many different composers and is progressively graded. What is so special is that it contains many popular pieces that everyone knows.

#490253 07/23/01 09:43 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I started lessons a little over a year ago using Alfed's Basic Adult. I'm near the end of book one. ("O Sole Mio" for those of you familiar with that one - song and/or book :)) We took close to month off Alfred's while I worked on my recital piece. I'm now getting back into it, which is little bit of a challenge. I need to refresh myself with the song and book. (Everytime I play "O Sole Mio", I keep thinking of Elvis' "It's Now Or Never" :p )

Hilary

Hilary aka LadyElton

Check out my blog

"Looking like a true survivor..."
-- Sir EJ/BT '83
#490254 07/31/01 09:59 PM
Z
Z
Ive been using those books since november and I'm in the middle of lesson book 2. I would be furthur, but I'm paying more attention to major classical works. I just basically use alfreds for sight reading.

Glenn Gould in regards to music:

The problem begins when one forgets the artificiality of it all, when one neglects to pay homage to those designations that to our minds-to our reflect senses, perhaps-make of music an analyzable commodity. The trouble begins when we start to become so impressed by the strategies of ours systematized thought that we forget that it does relate to an obverse, that it is hewn from negation, that it is but a very small security against the void of negation which surrounds it.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission