2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by keystring:
Hotwings? You in there somewhere? Snowed under? Did your question ever get answered? wink :rolleyes:
I know,

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh

I'll answer. :p

Originally posted by hotWings:
Is it harder to learn how to fast fingerpick on guitar using all five fingers then it is to have dexterity at the piano?
For one thing, you don't normally use all 5 fingers for your RH on guitar. Some contemporary guitarists do, but certainly for classical you use 4. I'd say the piano is probably more difficult at first. But after you get experienced with both, the difficulty is probably about even. Of course, these two instruments are played in a radically different manner, so each presents it's own special difficulties. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Horowitzian:
[b] Hotwings? You in there somewhere? Snowed under? Did your question ever get answered? wink :rolleyes:
I know,

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh [/b]
Takes two to tango.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Wow, I'd have never guessed. :rolleyes:

I believe it's referred to as residual tension in the medical world:

[Linked Image]
Dr Dick-Reads

smile smile smile smile smile smile smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
OK, thanks. I now see that someone in the medical community recognizes your viewpoint. But who is "Dr. Dick-Reads"? Google turned up nothing. smile

bump:
(OP is asking)
Are virtuosos on one instrument usually virtuosos on another instrument?

This means, if you have a virtuoso technique on piano or violin, then can that person easily learn to have the same virtuoso technique on a guitar, saxophone, flute, oboe, etc... if he learned how to play those instruments?
and originally
Is it harder to learn how to fast fingerpick on guitar using all five fingers then it is to have dexterity at the piano?

OK, thanks. I now see that someone in the medical community recognizes your viewpoint. But who is "Dr. Dick-Reads"? Google turned up nothing. smile
Who would you prefer Christian Barnard?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
bump:
(OP is asking)
Are virtuosos on one instrument usually virtuosos on another instrument?

This means, if you have a virtuoso technique on piano or violin, then can that person easily learn to have the same virtuoso technique on a guitar, saxophone, flute, oboe, etc... if he learned how to play those instruments?
and originally
This thread was answered days ago with post #2: "Seems like a question that'd depend on who you ask."

The only other relevant followups--"Why are you asking? Are you trying to decide which instrument to learn next? Are you frustrated with your progress on a certain instrument? Are you picking up instruments with ease and wondering how many others have done the same?"--went unanswered. Maybe hotwings just shrugged his shoulders once he realized his thread was hijacked. Or maybe he realized that the answer "depends on who you ask" is as good as you can really get.

So let klutz and howitzer duke it out.

I hear ya.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
[b] OK, thanks. I now see that someone in the medical community recognizes your viewpoint. But who is "Dr. Dick-Reads"? Google turned up nothing. smile
Who would you prefer Christian Barnard? [/b]
Nope, just wondering who he is. Seems your view has some weight based on the text you posted, but it's good to check out the source. smile

Originally posted by jscomposer:
Maybe hotwings just shrugged his shoulders once he realized his thread was hijacked. Or maybe he realized that the answer "depends on who you ask" is as good as you can really get.
His last post was in this thread so presumably he has gone to 'focus on more interesting non-loser activities' as Danny would say.

Horowitzian, there is a Dick Read who wrote "Childbirth Without Fear". Kbk, is that whom you mean? Dick Read - Childbirth etc.

:t:

I don't understand the reaction. I found the quoted text attributed to Dr. Dick Read in "Childbirth Without Fear" and I can see how it would be applicable. The whole movement in around the 1960's or later in childbirth involves being able to relax the body while undergoing something which involves both pain and extraordinary physical effort. Surely that is applicable to playing an instrument while avoiding physical strain.

If you don't believe me, here's the Google result:"

Childbirth Without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural ... - Google Books Resultby Grantly Dick-Read, Michel Odent - 2005 - Health & Fitness - 338 pages
1 Grantly Dick-Read, Michel Odent 2005 Pinter & Martin Ltd ... Residual Tension The difference between lying limp and neuromuscular relaxation can he ..
url= http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=dick+read+%22residual+tension%22&meta=
You'll notice it's your quoted text at the bottom. I was trying to help. Sheesh!

I hear ya. (though I can't say I'm listening)

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Horowitzian, there is a Dick Read who wrote "Childbirth Without Fear". Kbk, is that whom you mean? Dick Read - Childbirth etc.
That does make sense considering the context of the image kbk posted...though being a guy, I'll just take your word for what it contains... eek [Linked Image] laugh

[Linked Image]

Ok, now I understand kbk's perturbment at my finding that source. I brought two children into this world and that colours my perspective when I read that the quoted author was involved in the childbirth efforts. I can well see the bearing of such work on issues of tension and relaxation when playing an instrument. If the man was involved in childbirth research, that is nothing to snigger at. Maybe you have to have given birth to appreciate that - sorry guys. wink

This has made me curious about Dr. Read, in fact. Obviously he must have carried his work into other areas. I read a little bit of the part of the book was on-line. He discusses the role that fear plays in creating tension in childbirth, as well as negative expectations. Don't we talk about the same in music, especially performing?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Keystring,

That is a very interesting correlation.

Thanks for providing a nice summary of Dr. Read's main point. thumb

I give it to kbk that residual tension exists. smile

I think that childbirth (BTW, I was mostly being silly :p ) is an excellent analogy, especially where performing is concerned. Many performers who have trouble with tension in the concert/recital setting could probably benefit from this information. I know I have to focus on positive thoughts while performing, or I'll end up failing miserably.

Thanks! wink

I hear ya. :t:
There's my perturbation, since you seem to be having trouble spotting it. On one hand you claim/complain about a thread being hijacked and on the other join in with the 'hijack'. What kind of weird thinking assumes somebody would ridicule childbirth?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Dang, (Thanks Steven! laugh ) I don't recall keystring complaining about hijacking (that was in my post, remember?); she was only trying to call attention to the OP's question.

All of a sudden she comes in with some corroboration for YOUR evidence, and you are perturbed!!!??? Go practice your piano if you can't add any more constructive information. :rolleyes:

Thanks to both of you for expanding my understanding. smile

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission