2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#480389 07/11/01 11:31 PM
M
Mat D. Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Frank I hope you don't mind my reposting this file. I think it got lost at the end of the long "Joy's birthday" thread. I think some of the others might enjoy it.

This is the recording I sent to Joy for her birthday. it was something that was recorded in my living room on my piano (M&H BB)--the performance is by Bernie Katz, a good friend of mine. Mr. Katz is a very creative pianist, as comfortable with jazz as he is with classical music. This particular recording is a "one take", improvised arrangement of the Irving Berlin song "Always" ...enjoy!

BTW, it is also found near the end of the birthday thread, in case this doesn't work out.

This can either be saved to disk or played from the file directly.

Clik here for \"Always\"-a song for Joy's birthday

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: Mat D. ]

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: Mat D. ]

J
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
That performance was improvised? Wow.

Mat, you should get that guy who's wondering about M&H BBs over at the Forum side to listen to this recording. The nuances of tone are superb.

Joy

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
What a nice piano, what a wonderful performance, what a great recording and what a nice birthday present for Joy. Sure she deserves it and more...Happy birthday Joy. Congragulations and thanks for posting it again Mat.
Would you mind sharing the details about how this recording is made? I mean the mics used and mic positions (XY, spaced pair...) etc.
Rgds,
Hakki.

D
D
That was lovely Mat. Beautiful playing and a SUPERB piano smile What equipment did you use for the recording?

Diarmuid.

M
Mat D. Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Thank you. This was recorded about 2 years ago in my living room. The piano lid was open full and I used 2 microphones in an X/Y pattern. X/Y is when you place one mic diaphram above the other and aim them about 90 degrees (the right mic pointing left & the left pointing right). The reason for this is to avoid phasing problems (sound arrives at the 2 mic diaphrams at exactly the same time). If I were to seperate the mics, sound from the left would arrive at the right mic at a different time than at the left mic --& visa versa...this causes phase distortion---X/Y solves this problem.

The microphones used were Electrovoice CS15E cardiod pattern condensers---as far as I know they are no longer available. These mics are small diaphram condensers and I just love them. I used an Aphex 'tube' stereo mic pre-amp straight to Panasonic Digital Audio Tape machine at 44.1 kHz.

I used a single mic stand with a T bar to mount both mics (X/Y remember) and the mics were approx 10 inches outside the piano lid about halfway between the rim of the piano and the lid---at the point were the rim curves--experimentation is a must.

Like I said, the performance was one of several we recorded that day. It was a first take and was improvised. Bernie is a great musician and the most creative pianist I know. He can play these tunes 5 times in a row and each time will be a fresh approach.

As I've said before, a good piano is a must, but the musician playing it can make it a wonderful piano---the credit here goes mostly to Bernie Katz for his musicianship. I was just smart enough to ask him to play.

I hope that's somewhat clear.

Mat D.

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: Mat D. ]

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: Mat D. ]

D
D
Thanks Mat. I don't really know anything about making audio piano recordings (except plugging my digital into my soundcard) but I'm learning as much as I can at the moment.

M
Mat D. Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Diarmuid,

The most important factor in making a good recording is understanding "signal flow" and levels. You can make an excellent recording on fairly inexpensive equipment if you learn the principles of signal flow & levels. In the "digital" world these principals are even more important.

Mat D.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission