2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#478712 05/05/08 01:20 AM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Leaps seem to be a particular weakness of mine -- somewhat compounded by my small span (I can reach only an octave and certain major ninths). Certain passages such as the main theme of the last movement of Brahms's First Sonata and the treacherous leaps just before the return to Lento in the Ravel Left Hand Concerto have always eluded me. Theoretically speaking, I know one has to limit the vertical motion and to not "stick" to the keys when doing leaps, but easier said than done in my case!

So, does anyone have any exercises (self-made or to be found in certain exercise books) to help facilitate leaps? At the moment I am doing a Hanon-type exercise where both hands (in similar motion) execute leaps at 16th notes at a certain interval, chromatically ascending then descending. At the moment I am leaping at an augmented 11th. Thus I have both hands playing C-F#-C#-G D-G#-Eb-A etc. at 16th notes (slowly increasing the bpm as the interval becomes easier).

Any suggestions for exercises focusing on leaps would be greatly appreciated!

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
#478713 05/05/08 01:48 AM
K
K
Hi, I have found it sometimes useful to quickly get off the start note and "feel" the keys under my fingers before sounding the 2nd note - needs a quick leap and practice to find the correct note.
Kylie

#478714 05/05/08 04:08 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Generally speaking I'm a big advocate of mental practice and I find that leaps in particular are an excellent object lesson for this. To begin with, it helps me to be very mindful of my breath and approach something like a meditative state. Once I have control of my breath, I would make the (in this case) leap in my mind, concentrating on feeling the space of the interval bodily. It can help to start by visualizing it, but I think it should eventually be done by feeling alone and then finally by breath alone, so that striking any interval would bear no distinction from the act of breathing itself.

I find this also to be a very effective method of ear training.

That said, there are some excellent exercises by Liszt in the so called 3rd volume of his technical exercises.

"See?! The Cliffs of Insanity!"
#478715 05/05/08 09:33 AM
Pause on the note(s) before the leap. Mentally visualize the hand in the position when it is about to strikes the note(s) after the leap. Quickly move the hand into its visualized position. Pause a bit to make sure, then strike the note(s). Gradually decrease the pauses.

#478716 05/05/08 12:10 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
for quick jumps/leaps, my teacher once suggested that never try to position your hand at landing notes, because you don't have time, but think where to land before the jump.

#478717 05/05/08 01:17 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It's all about the note before the leap. How well you handle the preparation, attack, and release of the preceding part determines the ease of the leap.

Also, make sure that you involve the arm. Fingers themselves do not leap, they need some help!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
#478718 05/05/08 01:26 PM
V
V
Originally posted by signa:
for quick jumps/leaps, my teacher once suggested that never try to position your hand at landing notes, because you don't have time, but think where to land before the jump.
Most pianists think there isn't enough time to position your hand on the keys before pressing them, but good pianists do it all the time. Horowitz did it most of the time, this increases accuracy a great deal, and gives you control over dynamics, in opposed to just hurling your hand at the keyboard which leads to the fingers landing on usually the wrong keys, not to mention the harsh sound produced.

There are of course some extremely fast leap cases in which there is no time for both motions, but even so, when practicing these leaps slowly it's imperative that you find the keys first, this is essential for developing the necessary muscle memory, you shouldn't speed things up until you're absoulutely confident about the position of every single note in the chord.

Good luck

Currently Working on:
Beethoven : Piano Conerto No.2
Mozart : Piano Sonata No.6
Schubert : Moment Musicax No.3
Chopin : Black Key Etude
#478719 05/05/08 01:27 PM
V
V

Currently Working on:
Beethoven : Piano Conerto No.2
Mozart : Piano Sonata No.6
Schubert : Moment Musicax No.3
Chopin : Black Key Etude
#478720 05/05/08 04:26 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
It's really boils down to mental practice and preparation. One of the things that helps is the exaggeration method. A teacher gave me this trick a number of years ago for handling large jumps in a piece.

Instead of aiming initially at the correct notes, go for the same notes an octave higher. Do this slowly initially then work up to speed. Once you've mastered the movement, aim now for the correct notes. In the process the mind will thing this is really easy compared to the "huge" leaps you were making in the beginning.

There's one caveat. Don't do this just before performing the piece because it will confuse the snot out of you.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
#478721 05/06/08 08:42 AM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks to everyone for all the replies. Herr Citron, I remember well the method you suggested when we discussed the Schumann Fantasy's middle movement. I'm nowhere near doing leaps of that scale, but I'll certainly try exaggerating the interval by an octave.

After trying some leaps on the piano, it seems like the problem is purely a matter of speed. I can find the notes just fine, but it seems like I need to prepare and release the note(s) before the leap correctly (as Kreisler said) if my speed is going to increase. I suppose I should try doing a "spring" release to start the leap, without doing too much vertical motion, of course.

Has anyone played the Brahms and Ravel passages I mentioned in my original post? Does anyone have specific techniques to help with those two particular passages?

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission