2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
dammit I keep missing this program.
Could you guys remind me next Tuesday or something. In CAPS please.

eek eek laugh

"War does not determine who is right; only who is left."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by kenney:
Originally posted by pianoloverus:
[b]To reiterate from an earlier post I made, doesn't anyone else think that the recording of the Schumann Fantasy which opens each program has a jarring and obvious wrong note (and if so, why does he play that particular version - is it by Horowitz?)?
I am sure that one of us will come across David in the future and be able to ask him why he chose the piece(if he even chose it) and who performs it. If there is an obvious wrong note, I hope that Dubal purposely chose that performance for that reason. Wrong notes rule, if created in the midst of artistry.
Sincerely,
Kenney[/b]
I totally agree that "wrong notes rule"
They are the only objective way you can judge the musicality smile . They show that the performer is a human being who learned a piece that he/she liked. As opposed to a Romantic Divinity of Transcental music who is here to provide the world with ARS POETICA MUSICA. TAM TAM TAM TAM, caus' those don't exist. Just in fairy tales.

"War does not determine who is right; only who is left."
K
kenney Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Just slidin' this puppy to the top! Hope that this helps a few of you. Take care.
Sincerely,
Kenney

10:00pm, Wednesdays, WQXR.com 96.3FM "Reflections from the keyboard..." If you don't like it, you don't like ice cream(Sinatra).
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
I agree with pianoloverus. I don't really buy into this idea of "Wrong notes" being a sign that a pianist is human. It is very possible to play a note perfect performance and still be human and convincing, wrong notes just show how the performer lost concentration or perhaps was too nervous, something which can be controlled. It seems that people just fear perfection, like hearing Pollini play Chopin's etudes or Hamelin- sure, wrong notes are inevitable, but the romantisized notion that they are completely ok is not correct, they are misrepresetations on some level!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Crash-
Tell me you have never been practicing and you just plain hit a wrong note? I don't think that has anything to do with nervousness or whatever, and that type of thing CANNOT be controlled. The fact that you say that people are afraid of perfection is kind of silly. There is no such thing as perfection, and even in a note-perfect performance, there is bound to be some flaw, whether it be pedaling, or interpretation, or phrasing.(and if there isn't, the pianist got lucky). This kind of "perfection" mentality is just why we are cranking out so many young pianists who can play liszt sonata 2 note perfect yet have the emotional and interpretational content of a 10 year old.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Did anybody else listen to the program last night and have it get cut off half-way through because of "technical difficulties"?
I finally get a chance to listen and this has to happen! :rolleyes:

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by CrashTest:
I agree with pianoloverus. I don't really buy into this idea of "Wrong notes" being a sign that a pianist is human. It is very possible to play a note perfect performance and still be human and convincing, wrong notes just show how the performer lost concentration or perhaps was too nervous, something which can be controlled. It seems that people just fear perfection, like hearing Pollini play Chopin's etudes or Hamelin- sure, wrong notes are inevitable, but the romantisized notion that they are completely ok is not correct, they are misrepresetations on some level!
Well put! Accepting wrong notes under some guise of being more human and somehow adding to the performance is just plain silly. No one is saying they prefer an unmusical performance over a note perfect(or as close as is reasonably possible)performance but the obvious goal is a technically accurate AND musical performance. It is perfectly possbile to make mistakes and play unmusically also, but some of the posters seem to imply that making mistakes automatically implies a more musical performance.

Actually I prefer some of Cortot's Chopin to Pollini's Chopin(which I generally dislike) despite Cortot's famous abundance of errors. But I would prefer even more Cortot's interpretation and musicality together with accuracy and it seems inconceivable that he would not agree. Cortot's mistakes in no way add to his performance.And there are, of course, plenty of pianists who have great accuracy and musicality (Perahia is one example).

Selecting a recording with a glaring error(Dubal's choice for the opening of his show)that plays for only a few seconds makes little sense to me.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Bumping a reminder WQXR.com 10pm EASTERN

K
kenney Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally posted by RKVS1:
Bumping a reminder WQXR.com 10pm EASTERN
Thanks. For us in the United States RKVS1 reminder is a worthy one. We celebrated Memorial Day this past Monday, which typically means that workers are given a holiday and don't have to work. So, because of the shortened work-week, today feels like Thursday but it is only Wednesday. Thanks, again RKVS1. Hope that we all enjoy tonight's program. Take care.
Sincerely,
Kenney

10:00pm, Wednesdays, WQXR.com 96.3FM "Reflections from the keyboard..." If you don't like it, you don't like ice cream(Sinatra).
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Kreisler said:

So, because of the shortened work-week, today feels like Thursday but it is only Wednesday.
I keep thinking today (Wed.) is Tuesday, because of Monday's holiday.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am another who wishes they stored the programs a it is way to late for me to listen to it when it is on. So I have a proposition,

EVERYONE who reads this thread, please go to http://www.WQXR.com , scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Contact Us". Please send them a nice email commenting on your interest in listening to this particular program but how you are unable to for _______ reason and that you think it would be wonderful if they had an online archive of all the past programs so that you could listen to them. You may want to mention WBEZ as a model with their program "This American Life". Their website is http://www.thisamericanlife.org/

I everyone of us does this I'm sure they'll at least start thinking about it. After all, more listeners means more donations!

I am sending my email right now...

Elena
http://www.concertpianist.com

Schnabel's advie to Horowitz: "When a piece gets difficult, make faces."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Great idea Elena,
I'll send an email as well.
BTW when(if ever) are you coming to the Philadelphia, D.C., Baltimore area? I would love to hear you play.(and see you wink )

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Elena,

I've just now sent my email to WQXR. Great idea!

And please accept my belated "Welcome" to Pianoworld!

-- Chris

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Hi everyone,

Hopefully y'all got to listen to tonight's program (May 28). As usual, I only caught the 2nd half of the program, but here are my impressions.

First up: Chopin's Tarantella, played by Noel Wood. I've never heard this piece before, so I have no point of comparison. Sounded like a good enough performance, but the terrible piano made for an unpleasant experience. Yuck! It really needed tuning or voicing!

Next: The 2nd dance (Book I, No. 2) of Schumann's DavidsBuendlerTaenze. I played this in recital just last year, so this caught my interest (and has made me more opinionated about it smile ). The first performer was Jerome Rose (Rhodes?). I thought his performance failed to catch the essence of the dance. I think this dance is marked "Innig" (inwardly), and should be played accordingly. Also, it is a dance (though stylized), and so rhythm is important. (Sorry, Mr. Dubal, I disagree with your "dance" opinion here.) Rose played with too much rubato, and it felt like he was "forcing" out the notes. Not at all subtle. But the next performer was Ann Schein, and she gave us a very sensitive, lighter performance that felt nearly perfect!

Then came the "Encores". First one was Rosalyn Turek playing the theme and the Quodlibet of Bach's Goldberg Variations. Both seemed very listenable to me, though I was somewhat surprised that she played the opening theme so slowly. I think a bit faster tempo would have served her better.

Next was Mark Salmon playing Alcan's "Symphony for Solo Piano". This is a very fast, forceful work, but Salmon was more than up to the task. As Dubal said, his fingerwork was flawless. More importantly, he gave an exciting, arresting performance. Wonderful!

Comments from anyone else? Did anyone catch the first half of the program?

-- Chris

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
First half of program included:
Clementi Op26 #2 (slow movement) by Lazlo Simon, then Horowitz
Schumann's Op 26 Ebminor Intermezzo, by Breluvsky (sp?) then Michelangili
20th century Spanish composer (Mompo ?) Song&Dance#1 by Gustova Romaroe, then I missed the 2nd pianist's name. This sounded a bit like Eric Satie in places

I really have enjoyed everything Bach I've heard Turek play. I liked the final restatement of the aria as she played it...... serene iconoclasm, Socrates' cave shadows bathed in the splendid light of final truth, not so much a performance as a transference through her mediummanship of the Master's ultimate desires for his music.................oh I'm sorry, I've drifted off into DDtawk. I usually return to normal speech patterns by Friday midmorning. Perhaps I'll finish this post at that time. laugh
Bob

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by johnmoonlight:
Great idea Elena,
I'll send an email as well.
BTW when(if ever) are you coming to the Philadelphia, D.C., Baltimore area? I would love to hear you play.(and see you wink )
Thanks for sending the email to the station.

Perhaps you can speed the process of getting us to Philly...do you know any concert organizers or institutions that may be interested in receiving our package? I would be happy to send it to you or them. You can also point them to our website so they can listen to the duo clips and read about us, see if they get hooked! wink

Feel free to email me (email address available at the website) if you have any questions. Never been to Philadelphia, would love to play there.

Elena
http://www.concertpianist.com

Schnabel's advie to Horowitz: "When a piece gets difficult, make faces."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission