2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jon-nyc Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I'm spending lots of time in London these days, thousands of miles from my piano. I'd like to find some practice space to rent, preferably by the hour.

Does anyone know where I might find one?

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Jon,

Either of these two places on the link below might be a good start. I don't know how current this info is though.

http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-practise-rooms/piano-rehearsal-london.html

I'd maybe check out the London music colleges as well (Royal College, Royal Academy, Guildhall, etc), they might offer something (at least during vacation periods).

Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
jon-nyc Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Michael - thanks a lot! I'll try out the Bluthner place - it would be fantastic to spend some real quality time on one.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
jon-nyc :

You might also try any of the major piano dealers/showrooms in London; if they don't have practice rooms available, they might be able to direct you to someone who does.

I notice that Bluthner doesn't include their rates on their practice studios; I'd be interested - just out of curiosity - in knowing how much they charge.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
jon-nyc Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Bruce, thanks for the tip. Re Bluthner, I'll let you know - I've already emailed them about some time next Saturday.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Wow, let me know what you find out, Jon. I'd love to have spent a few hours playing a Bluethner (in a soundproof room, a big plus smile ) when we were in London last year.

You never know, we may go back.... we had a great time.

jon-nyc Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Update: I did rent the studio space at the Bluthner store in London last Saturday.

The piano was an Irmler, though, not a Bluthner. It was not a great piano by any means but at least it was newish - it was certainly better than not playing at all.

It cost 10 GBP per hour.

N
N
You can rent a practice room at Jacques Samuel Piano's in central london (nearest underground station is: Edgware Road).

They have six rooms, most of them have a Kawaii grand. One room has two grand pianos(bosendorf and kawaii). I think they have a few uprights also.

The rates are:

5 pounds an hour (between 9am-12pm) offpeak
10 pounds an hour (after 12pm) peak

They open late on Wednesday and Thursday I think, and on Saturdays (peak rates).

I have used them quite a few times, to get away from my P80 and play on a real piano. The piano's are in decent condition. However, I find the action too tough on the grands (maybe I am a useless player). Also some of the rooms don't seem to be that soundproof, although they are all private. In some, you can hear the music from next door. There is a coffee machine there too.

If you do go to Jacques Samuels, check out the wall of pictures they have of people who have visited. There is everybody from Jamie Cullum to Maurizo Pollini.

link:
http://www.jspianos.com/practice_rooms.html

If you are bored and in Central London but don't want to pay - just go to Chappells Music in New Bond Street. There are a few digital pianos on show, you can just put headphones on and play nobody seems to mind much. Although the pianos are in the centre of the showroom. NB: they will be moving location in autumn!!.

link:
http://www.chappellofbondstreet.co.uk/

Another suggestion is to sign up to an evening music course at Goldsmiths University (on their PACE scheme). This allows you access to their practice music rooms. All of which have upright pianos in them. Obviously not all the pianos are great, but they do have at least two nice Yamaha uprights in them. Piano students get priority in using these rooms. You can always ditch the course after you get your ID. Goldsmiths is in New Cross (get the train from Charing Cross).

link:
http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/pace/

Anway, thats all that I know of, let me know of any other places you find!!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
[It cost 10 GBP per hour. [/QB]
Ouch! That's a lot more than I would have thought. Everything is more expensive in London than I would have thought. wink

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission