2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
86 members (AWilley, accordeur, anotherscott, AndrewJCW, 8ude, Adem, 17 invisible), 661 guests, and 581 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Piano transcriptions
#476294 03/24/07 01:07 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,846
M
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,846
Quote
Originally posted by JBiegel:
Stravinsky's own piano versions of his orchestral works are terrific.
Oh definitely. I love his Petrushka arrangement (well..the 3 excerpts of it). I don't know how much of this is down to the pianist, or the piece itself, but in Gilels' hands it springs to life with so much colour it's unbelievable.

Re: Piano transcriptions
#476295 03/24/07 01:16 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 57
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 57
Don't forget the Rigoletto Paraphrase. Is this a transritption? It is so beautiful!!!


Current repertoire:
Bach: P&F in E flat Book II
Beethoven: Sonata Op. 57 1st movement
Kennan: Three Preludes
Schumann: Concerto
Re: Piano transcriptions
#476296 03/24/07 05:17 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,501
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,501
Quote
Originally posted by cheez_5:
Don't forget the Rigoletto Paraphrase. Is this a transritption? It is so beautiful!!!
No it's not a transcription, and I confess to not be a fan.

A 'paraphrase' is an original composition using themes from the work one is paraphrasing. Liszt's Operatic Fantasies and good examples of paraphrases.

Transcription means preserving the musical ideas. Liszt's Wagner Transcriptions are excellent examples.


Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
Re: Piano transcriptions
#476297 03/24/07 06:11 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 314
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 314
I just love Liszt transcriptions. Turned the piano into a symphonic orchestra all by itself.

But despite our lovely intrument of choice's powerful range, dynamics and beautiful tone, I'd not exchange a full orchestra and its myriads timbres, colors, much greater range and dynamics for a piano transcription of symphonic works. They are amazing for what they are and as outstanding accomplishments, but you simply can't beat a symphonic orchestra.

The only time I prefer Liszt's Bethoven transcriptions to the originals is when all I have is MIDI: the piano sounds a lot better than orchestral attempts...

That said, you could checkout some Liszt's transcriptions in MIDI at http://kunstderfuge.com/liszt.htm#Transcriptions or similar places, if you don't have access to recordings of them. Be sure to have a good MIDI player and soundfonts, though...


gggEb!
Re: Piano transcriptions
#476298 03/24/07 06:28 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 645
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 645
I like Rossini's William Tell Overture-Liszt transcription, it's fun to play.

Re: Piano transcriptions
#476299 03/24/07 07:08 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 2,506
A
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 2,506
To this listener Katsaris Beethoven-Liszt Symphonies still holds the top spot. I listened to the whole thing many years ago. I do not own this set yet. I'm waiting for the opportunity coming my way in the future. It just may. The current price does not justify for me because I already have the other two sets mentioned.

If you can, listen to Katsaris' recording. That's outstanding. Just my .02c.

Re: Piano transcriptions
#476300 03/24/07 07:13 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 2,506
A
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 2,506
Oh, btw, Wagner-Liszt "Tannhauser" Overture is the most symphonic of all the maestro's transcriptions, JMO. I listened to the recordings I could lay my hands on and find Michael Ponti presented the 'monstrosity' beyond words of description. After the music was over I still sat there could not move...

Re: Piano transcriptions
#476301 03/24/07 07:27 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 2,506
A
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 2,506
I agree that the most engaging Liszt transcriptions are the Schubert songs. I own Leslie Howard's complete set. I never finished listening to the whole set because his playing in some way bored me. On the other hand I turned again and again to the two volumes put out on Naxos Complete Liszt Piano Music. They are Vol.5 and Vol.17 - Schubert/Liszt song transcriptions.

Vol. 5 is played by Oxana Yablonskaya
Vol.17 is played by Valerie Tryon

Both are excellent and really SING! Yablonskaya is especially gratifying to this pair of ears. I have numerous individual ones played by various artists. Lazar Berman once again fit the bill exceedingly well while F. Chiu sounds to me not that convincing at all.

Sorry for the ramble.

Re: Piano transcriptions
#476302 03/24/07 07:48 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,392
A
9000 Post Club Member
Offline
9000 Post Club Member
A
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,392
Quote
Originally posted by dnephi:
Quote
Originally posted by cheez_5:
Don't forget the Rigoletto Paraphrase. Is this a transritption? It is so beautiful!!!
No it's not a transcription, and I confess to not be a fan.

A 'paraphrase' is an original composition using themes from the work one is paraphrasing. Liszt's Operatic Fantasies and good examples of paraphrases.

Transcription means preserving the musical ideas. Liszt's Wagner Transcriptions are excellent examples.
By your definition, the Rigoletto Paraphrase is indeed a transcription. The musical ideas are certainly preserved. Four voices and orchestra arranged for piano. Liszt adds an introduction and coda, makes a slight change in the opening tenor line, then with vast embellishment generally transcribes the quartet along the lines Verdi wrote it, even down to reproducing the string parts. Do you know the original?

A good example of a Verdi "paraphrase" would be Liszt's take on Simon Boccanegra. Indeed, he uses the word "Reminiscenses" as he does with Norma.


Jason
Re: Piano transcriptions
#476303 03/24/07 07:54 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,392
A
9000 Post Club Member
Offline
9000 Post Club Member
A
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,392
Quote
Originally posted by AndrewG:
Oh, btw, Wagner-Liszt "Tannhauser" Overture is the most symphonic of all the maestro's transcriptions...
And one of the most difficult, according to a well known concert pianist whom I asked. I would never attempt it...

Liszt confines himself to the "Dresden" version of the overture, which makes a better stand-alone than the later "Paris" version.


Jason
Re: Piano transcriptions
#476304 03/24/07 10:02 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 70
S
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
S
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 70
There are a lot of great paraphrases and showpiece transcriptions, but I don't think anything stands beside the Liszt Beethoven Symphonies. Glenn Gould's recording of the Liszt-Beethoven 5th is the second best recording of the symphony next only to the great Szell Cleveland Orchestra recording from the 60s (IMHO)

Mike

Re: Piano transcriptions
#476305 03/24/07 10:48 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,919
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,919
Quote
Originally posted by JBiegel:
I play the Beethoven-Liszt 5th, and the Berlioz--monster pieces, and masterpieces--both great. I love the Schulz-Evler Blue Danube, but that's an arrangement--but that's more an adaptation based on the original version for orchestra. Stravinsky's own piano versions of his orchestral works are terrific. My friend, Matthew Cameron, wrote and recorded a masterful Mozart Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (you can serach it at YouTube using the name davidhorowitz--all one word)and his new solo version of Liszt's Les Preludes is fantastic. My pianist friend, Andrew Gentile, is just finishing the Vivaldi Lute Concerto in D Major and the Mandolin Concerto in C Major for piano solo which I'll record alongside my Four Seasons. I wonder if anyone would make a solo piano version of Holst's The Planets.
My teacher (no mean technician, he played Islamey quite well) said he would have played the Berlioz/Liszt only if he had had as much technique in his left hand as most pianists had in both. Bravo if you can really bring it off well! I heard Holst's Planets just a few weeks ago in its original two piano version, stunningly played on a pair of Faziolis by Michael Boyd and Joel Schoenhals (every planet except the one with the chorus). Could that really be condensed into two hands? The pair did the Rite of Spring in the same recital.

And that Eine Kleine Nachtmusik transcription really is masterful.


There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
Re: Piano transcriptions
#476306 03/24/07 11:12 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 3,895
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 3,895
Quote
Originally posted by argerichfan:
Quote
Originally posted by dnephi:
Quote
Originally posted by cheez_5:
Don't forget the Rigoletto Paraphrase. Is this a transritption? It is so beautiful!!!
No it's not a transcription, and I confess to not be a fan.

A 'paraphrase' is an original composition using themes from the work one is paraphrasing. Liszt's Operatic Fantasies and good examples of paraphrases.

Transcription means preserving the musical ideas. Liszt's Wagner Transcriptions are excellent examples.
By your definition, the Rigoletto Paraphrase is indeed a transcription. The musical ideas are certainly preserved. Four voices and orchestra arranged for piano. Liszt adds an introduction and coda, makes a slight change in the opening tenor line, then with vast embellishment generally transcribes the quartet along the lines Verdi wrote it, even down to reproducing the string parts. Do you know the original?

A good example of a Verdi "paraphrase" would be Liszt's take on Simon Boccanegra. Indeed, he uses the word "Reminiscenses" as he does with Norma.
I'm very partial to the opera paraphrases, and play "Reminiscences of Norma", "Faust", and "Eugene Onegin". The "Rigoletto" paraphrase is the only one I've performed - too bad dnephi doesn't like it. confused

Re: Piano transcriptions
#476307 03/24/07 11:33 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,919
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,919
Quote
Originally posted by whippen boy:
I'm very partial to the opera paraphrases, and play "Reminiscences of Norma", "Faust", "Eugene Onegin". The "Rigoletto" paraphrase is the only one I've performed - too bad dnephi doesn't like it. confused
Well, he obviously hasn't heard you play it! wink


There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
Re: Piano transcriptions
#476308 03/25/07 06:28 AM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,341
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,341
Quote
Originally posted by argerichfan:
Quote
Originally posted by AndrewG:
Oh, btw, Wagner-Liszt "Tannhauser" Overture is the most symphonic of all the maestro's transcriptions...
And one of the most difficult, according to a well known concert pianist whom I asked. I would never attempt it...

Liszt confines himself to the "Dresden" version of the overture, which makes a better stand-alone than the later "Paris" version.
I first heard this one by Jorge Bolet and I was simply amazed. The CD is now lost mad

I think I also read some story(in an attempt to illustrate its difficulty) about how Liszt himself had to once take a break midway during the piece. I don't know if that's true or not. Great piece anyways.

Re: Piano transcriptions
#476309 03/25/07 07:25 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 631
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 631
Oh, the Tannhauser overture is incredible - on the Cziffra EMI Classics DVD there's a video of Benno Moiseiwitsch playing this piece with such ease it almost makes you wonder what's so hard about it. Stunning performance, all in a single take from one camera that gradually zooms in to the keyboard - it's worth buying the DVD for this alone.

Re: Piano transcriptions
#476310 03/25/07 09:18 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 2,230
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 2,230
Katsaris good - Howard bad. Got it.

The midi resource is useful, thanks.

The Mozart transcription---I wish I could hear it (not with this old calculator machine).

Some Stravinsky transcription plays for a while on the foreground and background of the Brendel documentary; I recall liking it.

Re: Piano transcriptions
#476311 03/26/07 09:44 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 2,230
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 2,230
Quote
Originally posted by Max W:
Also quite a big fan of Godowsky's Bach transcriptions.
I just read somewhere that according to Sorabji, "the peak of Godowsky's attainment was reached in these six (Bach) transcriptions." Well, not somewhere, but here: http://www.godowsky.com/Biography/bio.html

Re: Piano transcriptions
#476312 03/26/07 09:52 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,546
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,546
Quote
Originally posted by JBiegel:
I play the Beethoven-Liszt 5th, and the Berlioz--monster pieces, and masterpieces--both great. I love the Schulz-Evler Blue Danube, but that's an arrangement--but that's more an adaptation based on the original version for orchestra. Stravinsky's own piano versions of his orchestral works are terrific. My friend, Matthew Cameron, wrote and recorded a masterful Mozart Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (you can serach it at YouTube using the name davidhorowitz--all one word)and his new solo version of Liszt's Les Preludes is fantastic. My pianist friend, Andrew Gentile, is just finishing the Vivaldi Lute Concerto in D Major and the Mandolin Concerto in C Major for piano solo which I'll record alongside my Four Seasons. I wonder if anyone would make a solo piano version of Holst's The Planets.
JBiegel,
What do you think of the Beethoven-Liszt 7th Symphony transcription?

Sophia

Re: Piano transcriptions
#476313 04/28/07 03:11 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 86
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 86
My favorite is Dame Myra Hess's transcription of Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" (for piano).

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kurzweil ka130 vs Casio px770 vs...
by Ninchie007 - 01/18/21 04:45 PM
Refurb or Trade for a Rebuild
by brdwyguy - 01/18/21 04:22 PM
VST Spreadsheet not Available on Sticky Thread
by Harpuia - 01/18/21 02:57 PM
Roland FP Advice
by LongTimeNoSee - 01/18/21 01:49 PM
Expanding Voices for a Digital Piano - Keep it SIMPLE
by Steve Wild - 01/18/21 01:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,365
Posts3,048,549
Members100,115
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4