2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
biska Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
B
I'm thinking about applying for a (national) competition in two years where, if you get to the finals, you get to play with orchestra. A friend of mine is in the finals this year and the next competition will take place in two years. However, there is a 20 minute time limit which makes it a bit difficult to choose what piece to compete with.

My friend is playing the Shostakovich first piano concerto, which is about 20 minutes I believe, but the other two finalists have chosen to play movements from longer concertos. However, if I would get to the finals, I would prefer to play a complete shorter concerto than just a movement. However, the list of concertos under 20 minutes is somewhat small... We have:

Ravel - Concerto for the left hand, also the G major concerto
Franck - Symphonic variations
Rachmaninoff - Rhapsody on a theme by Paganini
Prokofiev - Piano concerto no 1 (right? isn't it really short?)

Can you come up with more examples? I mean, most standard concertos are at least 25-30 minutes...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
What about the Mendelssohn or Liszt concerti. I don't know if they're exactly under 20 min, but they're on the shorter side. Also Saint-Sean #2 might qualify.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Is there a problem with classical period concertos? Are they too easy to get you into the finals? Many of them would fit the 20 minute time constraint.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Rimsky-Korsakov. A delectable concerto, short and very Lisztian (in thematic process). I utterly fail to understand why it is so seldom played.

Jason
B
BDB Offline
B
Françaix' Concertino is about 12 minutes. The Tchaikowsky Third is one short movement, and his Concert Fantasy is two short movements.

There are lots of concert pieces for piano and orchestra:
Bartok's Rhapsody
Beethoven's Choral Fantasie
Three by Chopin
Faure's Ballade
Gershwin's two Rhapsodies and his Variations
Five by Mendelssohn
Two Rondos by Mozart
Two by Schumann
Strauss' Burlesque
Stravinsky's Movements
Weber's Konzertstück

I am sure there are lots of others.

Semipro Tech
A
A
isn't the Rachmaninoff Paganini Rhapsody 22 minutes on average?

it's a dream of mine to play that with an orchestra... still working on it privatly though.

The Liszt Concertos 1 and 2 are under 20 minutes, I love them, can't play them (haven't tried yet) but love them.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Faure's Ballade
Nice suggestion right there.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I think both the Rachmaniniov Rhapsody and the Ravel G major concerto are longer than 20 minutes (not much though).

Two more pieces I can think of:
Schönberg - Piano Concerto (might be a bit longer than 20 minutes though)
Takemitsu - riverrun (about 15 minutes, if you like neo-impressionism)

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
fnork :

You might also want to check with the competition organizers themselves to find out if the orchestra parts are available to them at a price that's within their budget. If you plan on playing something rather esoteric the full score might not be available or it might be very expensive to rent for the occasion.

They might even have a limited list of which Concertos can be played because of availability or expense of renting the score. It can't hurt to check that out.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by PootieTooGood:
Faure's Ballade
Nice suggestion right there.
Nice -and difficult. A wolf in sheep's clothing.

Jason
If Stravinsky's "Movements" ever wins a concerto competition, I will eat a piano bench. Without ketchup.

(Great piece, though!)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Boil it for a few hours first, the naugahyde needs to soften a bit. :p

B
BDB Offline
B
Of course, if you want to do every piano concerto in under 20 minutes, there is the Concerto Popolare, the piano concerto to end all piano concertos, by Franz Reizenstein. I wish I knew how to get hold of the music! I think it was inspired by the story of Beecham conducting with Cortot playing, where there was a tremendous memory slip, and they had to stop, consult the score, and start over again. Afterwards, someone came up to Beecham and said that Cortot had gotten confused, that he was supposed to play the Grieg, but thought it was the Schumann, instead. Beecham responded, "Well, he started to play the Schumann, so I conducted the Schumann. Then he went to the Grieg, so I conducted the Grieg. Then he went through all manner of concertos, but when he started playing one that I did not know, we had to stop!"

Semipro Tech
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
LOL!!!

V
V
Totentanz by Liszt XD

i thought i heard my washing machine playing Ondine
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by verywellmister:
Totentanz by Liszt XD
As I would say. Very pianistic, and according to Hinson, extremely effective, while not overly difficult. Accepted by the PianoTexas International Young Artists Concerto competition as a full-blown concerto.

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
G
G
a few more to add to the list

the Bach keyboard concertos are all less than 21'
the Poulenc comes in around 20'
Schumann G+Konzerstuck

Steinway B - 1958
Shigeru SK7
A
A
How about Andante Spiniato/Grande Polonaise Brilliante, Shostakovich 2nd, or some Mozart concertos?

B
BDB Offline
B
If you can get hold of the Hinson book Music for Piano and Orchestra, you will find the timings of many pieces. As has been mentioned previously, you should find out whether the parts are available for the pieces before embarking on learning something that is too far out of the ordinary repertoire.

Another concert piece that I really like is Saint-Saens Africa. There is also the Wedding Cake which is fun, but perhaps has a bit too much icing for a competition.

Semipro Tech
B
biska Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks for all of the suggestions, very helpful. On the homepage, it just says that it could be any concerto with "standard orchestration", in other words, not something like Ives fourth symphony which could be seen as a piano concerto but which requires two conductors, a second piano which has to be tuned down to 440 Hz, a small orchestra placed in the back of the hall and a choir placed somewhere in the audience wink . Not planning to learn that one though! laugh

THe competition is open for all instrumentalists and singers. I just read on their homepage that it's possible to apply with a long concerto, but the jury will probably decide, if it's too long, that the soloist just plays one or two movements of it. So, any piece under say 25 minutes is probably okay. Anyway, I'm really thinking about Ravels Left Hand-concerto, such a great piece and one of my former teachers, who has performed it a lot, could help me a lot with it. In two years, it's certainly possible...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission