Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
131 registered members (ando, 90125, Animisha, Alex C, Amedeus, accordeur, amad23, augustm, akc42, 29 invisible), 1,368 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Finale question #472180
05/05/03 07:14 PM
05/05/03 07:14 PM
C
CrashTest Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
CrashTest  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
C

I have Finale 2003, and I am having a great deal of trouble properly positioning the staves. It is a String Quartet, so I set the size % to 80 of the staves. I would be able to fit about 4 staves down vertically on the page, but then measures start to run into each other. Is there a plug-in or an option in finale that evenly spaces everything so it fits the way I want to?

What is even harder is that I only want 3 staves going down on the first page, so I have room for the title, and then 4 on each page after that. When I try to do this, all of the staves in the piece move automatically, what can I do? Thanks!

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Finale question #472181
05/06/03 12:15 AM
05/06/03 12:15 AM
Topeka, Kansas
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
RKVS1  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Topeka, Kansas
I have Finale 2002 but its probably pretty close to yours.
OK a couple of ideas. First a clarification of terms might help avoid confusion. A "staff" is one clef. A "system" is several clefs, in your case probably 4. A typical piano system would have two clefs, the treble and the base. So when you say you want 3 staves going down the title page and 4 staffs on the next pages, I think you mean 3 systems (each with 4 staffs) on the title page and 4 systems on the succeeding pages.
Not trying to nitpick here, but the menu commands you want to use will be using the term "system"

The "Fit Music" command on the MassMover menu will allow you to determine how many measures are contained in any (or all) systems. Select the systems you want to control (ClickDrag or SelectRegion in EditMenu) (or Ctrl A as shortcut to select the entire piece) and then click the FitMusic option in the MassMover menu. (or Ctrl M is the shortcut)
A dialogue box opens asking how many measures per system (default is probably 4). Type the number of measures you want per system (or to say it more clearly perhaps, how many measures you want in each staff of each system).

That's the easy part, probably. Moving the systems around, (and the staffs within the systems) is a bit tougher and I haven't had enough experience to say what will work best, but I'll let you know some of the tools you can use.

The "Staff Usage" option in the "Staff" tool (the TrebleClef icon) is useful to control the vertical spacing of the staffs within the system. Its global, i.e. any changes you make in one system will be carried over to all systems in the piece.
The dialogue box is pretty simple, you enter, for instance, 0 for 1st staff, -1 for 2nd staff, -2 for 3rd staff, -4 for 4th staff, using the "NEXT" or "PREVIOUS" button to navigate. If you want the staffs closer together, you'd enter, say -.5, -1, -1.5, -2, and the system would be shorter, top to bottom. Negative numbers are used to designate "down" from top margin of page. The numbers are in inches, and my first examples, -1,-2,-3,-4 are probably quite a bit too big. Experimenting will help.

The "Page Layout Tool" will help you move the systems with respect to each other.

Supposedly you can drag one of the 2 dozen boxes that show up when you select the PageLayout tool, but I've never gotten this to work very well for me.
PageLayoutTool...............Systems...........EditMargins. The dialogue box allows control of space above system, below system and between systems. You can choose all systems or just 1 or any number of adjacent systems. Select system 1 only and give it a large Top margin and a small bottom margin.....this should leave room above it for the title. Then select systems 2 and 3 and adjust the top, bottom and between margins basically by trial and error, I guess.
I don't believe that these numbers are entered as Negatives as required in the StaffUsage dialogue box.
I think, but am not sure, that the "Space Systems Evenly" button in the PageLayout Menu will reset everything you just did so fiddle with it at your own peril........of course you can "Undo" it .
The "Reflow Systems Across Page" check box in the "SpaceSystemsEvenly" dialogue box is important somehow but I can't remember exactly what the little bugger does. Unchecking it brought my blood pressure back to below boiling though about a year ago. Anyway, just keep experimenting.

Good luck, hope your system doesn't crash. :rolleyes:
Bob

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fazioli Changes Over the Years
by Sleepingtiger. 01/22/19 11:07 AM
p515/clp685 vs cp88
by Jitin. 01/22/19 10:16 AM
Twinkle or Moonlight?
by MrsD. 01/22/19 04:16 AM
My LTCL Repetiore
by Jaguarinoff. 01/22/19 03:31 AM
Hailun & Room Size
by Katie-eights. 01/21/19 09:52 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,725
Posts2,784,650
Members92,193
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission