2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#471933 07/30/01 11:50 AM
OP Offline
When our choir is on break, our church has guest musicians (usually one of our members) who fills in with a short musical piece. I have occasionally taken the bench for this in the past and so I'm always on the lookout for a short, interesting piece to learn. This past week I heard a very nice 2-minute or so piece on an old "Piano Classics" tape my wife has had for several years... and the more I played it, the more I fell in love with it and was convinced this was going to make a great piece for the church. But the stupid tape didn't have the names of the works on it and we no longer had the original cassette box!! Argh!

When I got home I figured I'd try to find the playlist on the Internet. This proved to be MUCH more difficult than I had thought but after a solid hour of searching I finally ran across the playlist on an obscure English site. And to my horror I discovered the name of the piece:

"Erotic" by Grieg

Well won't that look just great in the church bulletin. Is this really the name of the work?

Incidentally, I found another Lyric Piece during my search in the mp3 catalog that I really like: "Arietta" (op12 #1). Has anyone played this? It's very lovely.

wgh
#471934 07/30/01 12:14 PM
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I suppose you could just call it Greig Lyric Pieces, Book 3, Opus 43: No. 5 but these folks thought it was right for Sunday:

Title: Music for Sunday Brunch
Label: Columbia River Entertainment
Wedding Dance "Slatter" Op. 72 - Bridal March to Myllarguten (Grieg); Sospiri - Adagio Op. 70 (Elgar); Water Music, Suite - Andante expressivo (Handel); Peer Gynt Suite No. 2 Op. 55 - Solveig's song (Grieg); Canon in D major (Pachelbel); Nocturno in E flat major (Field); Lyric Pieces Op. 43 - Erotic (Grieg); Piano Concerto No. 21 "Elvira Madigan" - Andante (Mozart); Water Music, Suite - Air (Handel); Lyric Pieces Op. 12 - Arietta (Grieg); Thais: Meditation (Massenet); Moonlight Sonata in C sharp minor Op. 27/2 - Adagio sostenuto (Beethoven); Pavane for a Dead Princess (Ravel)

Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as heck...
#471935 07/30/01 02:31 PM
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Hey, what church do you go to? The Basillica, perhaps??? laugh

#471936 07/31/01 01:42 AM
R
R
Originally posted by wghornsby:
When our choir is on break, our church has guest musicians (usually one of our members) who fills in with a short musical piece. I have occasionally taken the bench for this in the past and so I'm always on the lookout for a short, interesting piece to learn. This past week I heard a very nice 2-minute or so piece on an old "Piano Classics" tape my wife has had for several years... and the more I played it, the more I fell in love with it and was convinced this was going to make a great piece for the church. But the stupid tape didn't have the names of the works on it and we no longer had the original cassette box!! Argh!

Incidentally, I found another Lyric Piece during my search in the mp3 catalog that I really like: "Arietta" (op12 #1). Has anyone played this? It's very lovely.

The Arietta is indeed a very nice piece, and not difficult to learn. Go ahead with it.
I recently found a website with some sheet music of the Grieg lyric pieces, including the Arietta http://www.bb.wakwak.com/~oguri/grieg/indexe.html
seems to be a Japanese site!!

Since I will go on vacation next week, I am looking forward to play as much and when I like, so I got a stock of pieces I want to try, besides the pieces I have to exercise for lessons. Some of the Lyric pieces are on top of the list.
Wish you a good performance in your church!

Regards
Ruth

#471937 08/03/01 11:26 AM
OP Offline
Thank you, Ruth, for that reply and the link. As for you, Brandon.... :rolleyes:

BTW Brandon... let me know when I can come hear you play. If you want to email me, I'm at [my piano forum user name]@yahoo.com

(Maybe a little too spam-cautious, but you never know... laugh )

wgh

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission