2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
43 members (anotherscott, brdwyguy, ambrozy, 36251, Beansparrow, AndrewJCW, Beowulf, Antho123, 10 invisible), 534 guests, and 541 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Piano Camps
#470751 02/24/09 02:11 PM
S
S
I have received a copy of the brochure for the Victoria Conservatory Piano Summer School to be held August 1 - 9 in Victoria, BC. I would be glad to send a copy to anyone interested (send me a message with your email address so I can attach it). I tried to copy it to this thread but it comes out unreadable. There will be 3 of us from Seattle, I believe (including me!).

Cheers!

Baldwin SF-10 320152, Marshall & Wendell, Steinway B
#470752 02/24/09 11:34 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Great interest on my part! Maybe we can travel together?

PM sent...

Best regards,

Deborah
#470753 02/25/09 07:50 AM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I wish we had summer camps in the UK. We have hardly any events for hobbies and interests.

'Its too rare to break a hand from playing the piano ... But playing Hanon as written will break your hand'

- Self proclaimed 'piano teachers' on the internet.
#470754 02/25/09 07:54 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
#470755 02/25/09 11:28 AM
This is the one I daydream about:

http://www.normandypianocourses.com/home.htm

#470756 02/25/09 01:31 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by DameMyra:
Found it online. Link here:

http://www.vcm.bc.ca/summeracademies/summerpiano.html
It's going to be more expensive than the VPSS was. For approximately the same fee for the Adult program, VPSS was for three full weeks; the VCM Summer Piano Academy is for 10 days only.

For those driving, there is no all-day parking nearby; on-street parking near the Conservatory is limited to a maximum of two hours. One will have to go to a downtown parking lot - only five or six blocks away - and pay roughly $7.00 a day for parking.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#470757 02/25/09 01:46 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by BruceD:
Originally posted by DameMyra:
[b] Found it online. Link here:

http://www.vcm.bc.ca/summeracademies/summerpiano.html
It's going to be more expensive than the VPSS was. For approximately the same fee for the Adult program, VPSS was for three full weeks; the VCM Summer Piano Academy is for 10 days only.

For those driving, there is no all-day parking nearby; on-street parking near the Conservatory is limited to a maximum of two hours. One will have to go to a downtown parking lot - only five or six blocks away - and pay roughly $7.00 a day for parking.

Regards, [/b]
Thank you Bruce D. I have two questions:

1. The brochure lists levels by age group or teachers. I don't fit any of these catagories as a 58 year old playing somewhat advanced music. Any idea where I belong?

2. I don't know Victoria well but on Mapquest it looks like it's not too far from the clipper dock. BruceD is it close enough for a cab ride?

Seattlites - we can solve the parking problem by taking the Victoria Clipper. That would just add to the fun! I've already emailed the University of Victoria about accommodations and will post their reply.

Best regards,

Deborah
#470758 02/25/09 03:15 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by gooddog:
Thank you Bruce D. I have two questions:

1. The brochure lists levels by age group or teachers. I don't fit any of these catagories as a 58 year old playing somewhat advanced music. Any idea where I belong?
I would suggest you sign up for the Senior Academy, Grades 9 - 11; those are Conservatory level grades, not high school grades which determine age level.

2. I don't know Victoria well but on Mapquest it looks like it's not too far from the clipper dock. BruceD is it close enough for a cab ride?
It is close enough for a short cab ride. Depending on how much luggage you have and whether or not your luggage is on wheels, you could even walk from the Clipper dock to the Conservatory. The problem is that your accommodations will most likely not be anywhere near the Conservatory unless you were to take downtown hotel accommodations.
If, as you said, you have requested accommodation infromation from the University of Victoria, it is quite possible that they will offer you - among others - accommodation in University dorms. The University is a long way from the Conservatory, but Victoria has an excellent public transportation system that will get you from the University campus to the Conservatory in 20 to 25 minutes.

[b]Seattlites - we can solve the parking problem by taking the Victoria Clipper. That would just add to the fun! I've already emailed the University of Victoria about accommodations and will post their reply. [/b]
If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask and I'll try to provide answers. Susan de Burgh, director of the Summer Piano Academy is also my teacher, so I can get direct and precise information from her if I don't already know it myself.

If you wish to keep in touch via these posts, or via email, here's something else to consider : Depending on how many of you arrive from Seattle - and I would assume you might want to arrive the day before the program begins - I would be quite willing to meet the Clipper and drive you to your accommodations. I might even be able to commandeer my sister and her car for your arrival, thus giving room for more than the three passengers I could accommodate - maybe only two, depending on how much luggage you might be bringing with you. Something to think about that might make the hassle of arrival a little easier.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#470759 02/25/09 04:12 PM
I wish there was one for adults. Wouldn't that be fun? Master classes, lessons, practice time, campfires, no cooking, no responsibilities. Ahhhhh.
There is!
I have my own camp in Utica upstate NY
"Rami's Rhapsody Piano Camp" for adults.
Please check: http://ramisrhapsody.tripod.com/
The June 7-14 session has 2 available slots.
I'm leaving home tonight for a 3 weeks concert and teaching tour on the East Coast.
Will be happy to answer any question.
Please write to me at rrpcrrpc@yahoo.com
Best regards,
Rami

#470760 02/25/09 08:50 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Agilita.

Im not far from Normandy and have spent some summers there.
Was not aware of piano course. Tnx for your posting.
I note they refer to preparing pieces for the course but I was unable to locate same .Have you any idea what standard they might expect.
Tnx

#470761 02/25/09 11:14 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Or for those in the midwest, one might try http://www.northernlightsmusic.org/ A super experience in Minnesota. You surely can't beat the weather that time of year. The artistic director is a life-long friend.

John Pels #1153948 02/27/09 02:14 PM
F
F
There are at least a couple option in UK. One is Chetham's International Festival and Summer School for Pianists. Another is weekend clinics given by Paul Roberts in Sussex. Search under www.paulrobertspiano.com. for the Sussex weekend.

BruceD #1154089 02/27/09 05:20 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

If, as you said, you have requested accommodation infromation from the University of Victoria, it is quite possible that they will offer you - among others - accommodation in University dorms. The University is a long way from the Conservatory, but Victoria has an excellent public transportation system that will get you from the University campus to the Conservatory in 20 to 25 minutes.
[quote]
[b]Seattlites
- we can solve the parking problem by taking the Victoria Clipper. That would just add to the fun! I've already emailed the University of Victoria about accommodations and will post their reply. [/b]
If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask and I'll try to provide answers. Susan de Burgh, director of the Summer Piano Academy is also my teacher, so I can get direct and precise information from her if I don't already know it myself.

If you wish to keep in touch via these posts, or via email, here's something else to consider : Depending on how many of you arrive from Seattle - and I would assume you might want to arrive the day before the program begins - I would be quite willing to meet the Clipper and drive you to your accommodations. I might even be able to commandeer my sister and her car for your arrival, thus giving room for more than the three passengers I could accommodate - maybe only two, depending on how much luggage you might be bringing with you. Something to think about that might make the hassle of arrival a little easier.

Regards,

BruceD you are a prince. My family has given me the go ahead so I'm just waiting for information on accommodations. I (we?) may just take you up on the transportation. I'm hoping my fellow Seattleites will think about traveling together.

Best regards,

Deborah
survivordan #1154837 02/28/09 06:38 PM
P
P
Can't help myself! I run, along with two other teachers, A Midsummer Adult Piano Retreat in the Berkshire Mountains of Massachusetts. We congregate at Williams College and include a trip to Tanglewood, summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. Our brochure can be viewed at: http://www.williams.edu/admin/conference/docs/Piano2009.pdf
The three of us taught in the Czech Republic together via Symphonic Workshops (mentioned in an earlier post). I believe we are on our 5th summer together. Our participants span the range from beginners to quite advanced players. I also teach the Alexander Technique, which we highlight throughout the week. It is pure fun, lots of learning, and no stress! I'm happy to answer questions if you have any. We limit our group to 20 and already have 16 pre-registered, so please don't wait too long to contact me if you are interested in joining us.

Rami #1156222 03/02/09 10:13 PM
P.S. Forgot to say that any piano playing level is welcome, from the complete beginner to the professional.
Regards,
Rami

Originally Posted by Rami
I wish there was one for adults. Wouldn't that be fun? Master classes, lessons, practice time, campfires, no cooking, no responsibilities. Ahhhhh.
There is!
I have my own camp in Utica upstate NY
"Rami's Rhapsody Piano Camp" for adults.
Please check: http://ramisrhapsody.tripod.com/
The June 7-14 session has 2 available slots.
I'm leaving home tonight for a 3 weeks concert and teaching tour on the East Coast.
Will be happy to answer any question.
Please write to me at rrpcrrpc@yahoo.com
Best regards,
Rami

Last edited by Rami; 03/02/09 10:15 PM.
Mocheol #1163653 03/16/09 02:33 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am reviving this thread for Seattlites.

I am going to register for the Victoria Music Conservatory summer camp today. I'm planning on taking the Victoria Clipper from Seattle late in the day on 7/31 and returning to Seattle on the 9th, after classes end - if there is an evening Clipper.

I am still investigating accommodations and am hoping for a discount based on 9 nights. I'm also going to look into discounts that include the Clipper fare. There are several decent hotels nearby. I'm aiming for a single room with fridge and microwave.

Please PM if you want to travel together. We could meet at the dock.

Best regards,

Deborah
gooddog #1163662 03/16/09 02:54 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by gooddog
I am reviving this thread for Seattlites.

[I am keeping an eye on what the Seattlites are planning; I will continue to be available to offer assistance upon your arrival.]

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD #1163686 03/16/09 03:45 PM
W
W
Another UK link below is to "The Oldie" piano week end.
Probably ideal for old farts or at least middle aged ones like myself, I was thinking of going with my sister.
Looks like a nice setting.

http://www.theoldie.co.uk/detail.php?item_id=281&page_id=21

Mocheol #1164524 03/18/09 08:33 AM
N
N
gmf001 & Bham & all other UK members.....
try www.pianosummerschool.com

some decent people going to be there, leslie howard few minor uk pianists - peter donohoe, murray mclachlin etc harry harris too haha he is awesome!

anton kuerti too...

i am THINKING of going myself, but not sure yet....might be on holiday then instead

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Replacement for Kawai MP11?
by Dan Clark - 01/22/21 09:04 PM
How to sound like Scriabin
by pianoloverus - 01/22/21 08:10 PM
Most realistic Piano VST?
by Rickdiculous - 01/22/21 06:13 PM
An exemplary piano quiz
by Withindale - 01/22/21 05:57 PM
First DP -- PC Connectivity Question
by Mikex3 - 01/22/21 03:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,471
Posts3,050,310
Members100,180
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission