2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#466949 11/20/07 01:00 AM
G
gabytu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Well. My zoom is up and running and I am able to record with it, without fear of the red dot. But have run into another hurdle. How do I pass the information from my SD card to audacity.

Went thru the various Audacity online tutorials, and while they were filled with specialized information, there was one essential bit of information that was omitted. How does one get the zoom and Audacity to recognize each other?.

My music is stored on my SD card. I have my zoom hooked up to the Computer. What do I do now to get the information to Audacity ?

I figured out how to use the various buttons on the Audacity menu--record, stop, etc. etc., but don't know how to get my Zoom communicating with Audacity. So far they just stare at each other waiting for me to do something.

I have my music stored in Windows media player, but again, don't know how to transfer it from one place to another.

Gaby tu

#466950 11/20/07 02:07 AM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I'm not sure what this "zoom" is, but if it plays the music back on your computer, there is always the option of getting a program that records directly what your software plays.

I have a friend who has a program which does this exceedingly well, though the name of the program escapes me. I'll see if I can find it for you if another solution to your problem is not found.

-Colin

#466951 11/20/07 02:55 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
1. With your Zoom turned off, connect it to a USB port on your computer.
2. The Zoom display will show
AUDIO I/O
CONNECT TO PC
Scroll to CONNECT TO PC using the jog dial and depress said dial.
3. Your computer will now recognize the SD card with your music files in the STEREO folder. (At this point you can open this folder and save the files you want on your hard drive if you wish.)
4. In Audacity click on File, then Open. You should see all the files on your SD card displayed with names STE-XXX.wav.
5. Click on whichever file you wish to work on in Audacity...and have fun!

Once you're done, you'll want to export the file as an mp3. For that you'll need to download the LAME plug-in.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
#466952 11/20/07 05:18 AM
G
gabytu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks Jazzyprof. Your instructions are much appreciated.

Gaby tu

#466953 11/20/07 01:22 PM
J
J
Another method I and others have used is to pop out the memory card and insert it into a dedicated SD card reader. This ussually results in much faster tranfering times then hooking up the zoom via usb. YMMV of course, for it's at least twice as fast!

You can also, supposadly, use zoom as an audio interface, using it's microphones and other inputs to record directly onto your computer. You will need to update drivers most likely, so it might not be worth the trouble. When it gets installed correctly, the Zoom will show up as an ASIO audio device within your applications.

I don't use audicty, except maybe once when I was curious. I use REAPER now: http://reaper.fm/

Good luck!!! I love my Zoom!

#466954 11/20/07 01:44 PM
Once you get a file opened up in Audacity, I'd also recommend normalizing it:
1. Press Ctrl+A to select the entire waveform.
2. Select Effect | Normalize from the menus and then select OK.

#466955 11/20/07 02:07 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
REAPER is a great program but as far as I can tell it doesn't let you edit the waveforms directly. So for normalizing, Audacity is a better choice.

#466956 11/20/07 03:34 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have done it quite differently, and even though you have been able to do what JP suggested, I wouldn't have been able to, so I am posting what I have done, for future references.

I have never been able to use the USB port with my Zoom (maybe because I didn't download the CD since I wasn't going to use that?)

I take out the minidisc.
Insert it into the appropriate computer opening.
Open 'My Computer'
Go to Audacity (which is on my desktop so I just click on that)
At the top, go to FILE - New, and I click on that.
Then I go over to PROJECT and select Import Raw Data.
I go directly to my minidisc (removable disc whichever), click on it and import the raw data

Then I continue to PLAY it on Audacity by hitting the > arrow at the top and do whatever I need to.

Usually just adding some silence at the beginning and the end, and normalizing.

Knowing that I can EDIT on Audicity, if I have made a big goof while playing a long piece, I just stop and then start again at an appropriate previous place where I can edit out a whole section. This saves a lot of time starting over again waiting for the perfect performance, which ain't gonna happen while that RED DOT is on!!!

Hope this helps others. Just thought I would keep it all under one heading of an Audacity thread.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
#466957 11/20/07 06:18 PM
G
gabytu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks everyone for all the excellent advice. My computer skills are minimal, so I have to do things the easiest way.

Lilylady, Thanks for the method which I think I will use as it is easier. Also, regarding using the USB port with the zoom. I have 3 ports in the front of my computer, and several in the back. I learned that only one of them works with the zoom. They all work fine with my digital cameras, but only one works with the zoom. Fortunately it is one of the front ones which is easier to reach. Also being able to use it saves my having t0 take out the SD which is a delicate operation with the Zoom. Gaby Tu

#466958 11/20/07 10:48 PM
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by gabytu:
Thanks everyone for all the excellent advice. My computer skills are minimal, so I have to do things the easiest way.
You and me both, gabytu. I'm glad you asked these questions, and that people answered so clearly. I'm in the market for a zoom (H2 probably) and with SuperTechNerdBoy (17 y.o. son) about to leave home to go to uni, I'd be stuck without this sort of "now-pick-up-the-cord-with-the-thingy-on-the-end" type of advice. smile

Du holde Kunst...
#466959 11/21/07 12:03 AM
G
gabytu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Currawaong, I got a chuckle out of your comments.
The Zoom h4 (and most likely the H2), is a fantastic recorder. No problems with it at all. The difficulty lies with the 99 page operational manual. It is perfect for those who are into sophisticated recording, but for one who relies on a point and shoot digital camera,always set on automatic, it is too complex to follow.

It took me a week to finally get the hang of using the menu button, and the jog wheel. They work together as a team, but if you don't know the formula you are helpless.

Fortunately, there is a very helpful thread on how to use the Zoom put together by a number of the members of the forum.
Perhaps you can find it. It is invaluable.

How I admire those who had their zooms up and running within minutes after unpacking it. Gaby Tu

#466960 11/21/07 01:27 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My first experiences with the Zoom 4?

I couldn't get it to record. Took a while to remember that you have to hit the red button twice, once to get it going and blinking, and another time to get the blinking to light up down in the bottom row!

Then, WHY couldn't I hear what I recorded on 'it'?
That one really frustrated me. I had a Sony recorder that recorded and then played back. So I read and reread the manual, and the 2 threads going on PWF! Then had to ask.

I know now it has to have speakers through the computer to hear it or (earphones?).

I need to know what those two thingies are on the end of an electrical cord too CW!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
#466961 11/21/07 02:20 PM
G
gabytu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
The main problem that I found with the manual is that there is no glossary explaining all the technical terms. What we need is an illustrated H4 manual for dummies.

I finally figured out that I could ignore everything referring to 4-track mode (whatever that is),and concentrate on what is written for Stereo mode. That cut the size of the manual to less than half, and at least was manageable.

However, even there, I ran into trouble. In the Quick guide on basic operations, the first instruction on preparations before recording left me baffled. "connect the monitor system to the H4." Monitor system??? What's that.

Then I read it again and the instructions were for recording a band performance. Could my piano be considered a band? And what about the Monitor System. Was this something hidden in the innermost section of my piano??? Looked, didn't find anything so decided to ignore those instructions.

Tossed the manual to one side, and from then on referred to the wonderful information on Piano Forum which all you great generous people provide. Gaby Tu

#466962 11/21/07 02:24 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Monitor system??? What's that.
FYI: when a band plays on stage, they have a set of speakers that only they can hear: this is the monitor system. The speakers intended for the audience are the PA ("Public Address") system. There is a mixing panel for the monitors that all the instruments are hooked up to, and you're supposed to record from that using your Zoom. Obviously, you don't have any of that when recording your acoustic piano. smile

#466963 11/21/07 05:30 PM

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Here's the "How-To Guide to the Zoom H4" that ShiroKuro put together for AB forum:

How-To Guide For Zoom H4

#466964 11/21/07 10:22 PM
G
gabytu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks Monica. I printed out the whole thing.

Recorded some of my playing. However, it sounded rather faint when I played it back on my computer--even with the volume turned up to the maximum, so I will have to reposition the Zoom and play around with it to get the best sound. Gaby Tu

#466965 11/21/07 11:40 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Thanks Monica. I printed out the whole thing.

Recorded some of my playing. However, it sounded rather faint when I played it back on my computer--even with the volume turned up to the maximum, so I will have to reposition the Zoom and play around with it to get the best sound. Gaby Tu
Did you remember to process the file through Audacity where you "normalize" it? That will bring the volume up to listenable levels.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#466966 11/22/07 06:15 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by BruceD:
[b]However, it sounded rather faint when I played it back on my computer--even with the volume turned up to the maximum, so I will have to reposition the Zoom and play around with it to get the best sound.
Did you remember to process the file through Audacity where you "normalize" it? That will bring the volume up to listenable levels.
[/b]
While normalizing is a good thing, it's better to record as loudly as possible, so moving the Zoom around to find the best spot is a better solution than normalizing a really soft recording.

When you normalize, everything is amplified including the noise in the recording.

Therefore you should try to get a recording that is as loud as possible (but not too loud because that introduces clipping distortion) with as little noise as possible.

#466967 11/23/07 02:23 AM
G
gabytu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Been playing around with different places, and think I have found the best place for it so far. Right in front of me, but directly in back of the music rack. I had it on a tripod and pointed it slightly downward, toward the strings of the piano. Also, I put it on auto gain, and that seemed to help. Gaby tu

#466968 11/23/07 05:46 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Also, I put it on auto gain, and that seemed to help.
I wouldn't do that because it will destroy the dynamics of your performance. On softer parts, the auto-gain will increase the volume thereby making these parts louder than they should be. That's great for speech but it will "destroy" one of the most interesting characteristics of the piano: its wide dynamic range.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission