2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
G
Richard Gere....and that piece he was playing in "Pretty Woman" was supposedly one of his own compositions.

Gardener--
Two roads diverged in the woods and I ... I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.(R. Frost)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by JS:
I almost forgot! Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood) is also a pianist, and I believe he has a degree in composition.
I love him! I'm a BIG Mr. Rogers fan! Must be those sweaters.

Don't forget Robert Downey Jr. He played piano on Ally McBeal several times during his year (that show's best, IMO).

penny

I
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I
Originally posted by jeffylube:
Asia Carrera....
Are you sure she didn't play [b]ON TOP
of the piano?? eek :p cool [/b]
No man, she actually played a bach program at carnegie in her youth and has an IQ of like 150

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Anthony Hopkins is - though this is only what I heard - a highly accomplished classical pianist, and is focussing more and more on music these days.

The late photographer, Ansel Adams, was a classically trained pianist...in fact he wavered between becoming a concert pianst and a photographer.

Bill Daniels
Tucson, AZ
M
M
Gardener wrote:
Richard Gere....and that piece he was playing in "Pretty Woman" was supposedly one of his own compositions.

Well, if Gere is claiming that's his own composition, it is plagiarized from the piano introduction of Bruce Springsteen's "Racing in the Streets"

J
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Jack Lemmon was a jazz pianist. And I seem to recall from Noah Adams' book that NPR's Susan Stamberg is an excellent sight reader on the piano.

Did anyone catch John Tesh on Conan O'Brien on Thanksgiving? Conan got Tesh to play "Turkey in the Straw" on keyboard in a pen filled with turkeys. You had to see it to believe it.

Joy

eek eek eek

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Praetorian_AD:
Anthony Hopkins is - though this is only what I heard - a highly accomplished classical pianist, and is focussing more and more on music these days.
On the DVD supplement for Hannibal, there is an alternate scene where Hopkins plays his own composition.

Hopkins also wrote the score for his film "August."

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
T
T
great thread guys, i also heard that Jason Alexander, from Seinfeld (George Costanza) plays the piano very well, someone told me they saw it on his biography on the A&E channel, i believe it was that one.

Joy, Yeah... Jack Lemmon was a fine pianist. I remember a wonderful TV show I saw back in the 1970s ... just Jack and Peter Nero chatting in a studio with two grand pianos side by side. It was great... just the two of them talking about music and playing . As I recall it was part of a series which Nero was presenting at the time ? Boy, would I love to get hold of THAT one ! Has anyone mentioned DEAN MARTIN ... may be wrong ... but I think he did his own piano work in "Ocean's Eleven" ? 1950s heart throb Johnnie Ray was pretty handy on the old "88 ".

Originally posted by iamcanadian:
I once typed in the word piano on IMDB.com to find out how many actors and actresses play the piano and I came up with quite a few.

Kelsey Grammer
David Hyde Pierce
Guy Pearce
Harry Connick JR. (of Course!)
Hugh Jackman
Paul Reiser(took piano performance degree in college)
Jason Cook (I) (the guy who play shawn on Days of our Lives)
Elijah Wood

-------------
Sandra Bullock
Alyssa Milano
Courtney Cox
Asia Carrera
Eliza Dushku
Phyllis Diller ("As of 2000, had appeared as a piano soloist with 100 symphony orchestras across the United States, including performances in Dallas, Denver, Annapolis, Houston, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Cincinnati.")

Any more?
I've never heard of any mention of Alyssa Milano or Courtney Cox playing the piano. Can they actually PLAY, or did they take a few lessons growing up? I know Sandra Bullock's mother was an opera singer and teacher. A friend of mine took private voice lessons from her. I actually got to meet her several times. Unfortunately, she passed away several years ago.

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
According to news reports Paris Hilton,
Nicole Richie, and Phil Spector apparently
play the piano.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
From the first post, yes Phyllis Diller--she sent her own composition to me Phyllis Fugue--I believe it is on my web site somewhere. We're good friends--I recorded her Christmas ditties for PianoDisc. Oh--Richard Nixon too--we talked about it when we bumped into each other dining over 20 years ago a table apart in the then Trader Vic's in New York (we were the only ones there with family and friends--cool!)

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Oh--Zsa Zsa Gabor too--I played Liszt Hungarian Rhapsodies and Chopin pieces on her piano in Bel Air after she heard me play with the Honolulu Symphony in 1988, then invited me to her home--she told me she studied with a pupil of Ernst von Dohnanyi in Hungary! Believe it or not, she knew her stuff--they all did back then in Eastern Europe.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Lucille Ball had a baby grand piano which she gave as a gift to her nurse, and a smaller keyboard Wurlitzer in one of her cabanas. We met through a friend, and my wife and I went to her home in 1988, 5 months before she passed. Not sure, though, if she played. She probably did. I played Mozart K.330 C Major for her on that small Wurlitzer--such a wonderful person and unforgettable experience spending two hours with Lucy!

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Hugh Grant. wink

PC Offline
Hugh Laurie - He played piano as Wooster on "Wooster and Jeeves," and now as "House." During an interview on "Actor's Studio" he played and sang his own composition (or ditty), and that clip may be posted on the Web.

PC
B
BDB Offline
B
You can see in his movies that Fred Astaire played the piano. There was none of that fake waving the hands over the keyboard.

Semipro Tech
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Clinton Eastwood plays piano, also Andrey Brodey(?), the actor who played in 'The Pianist" movie and Ricard Dreffus(?). ...just a few i can think of now.

Hugh Laurie

Help people. www.thehungersite.com
Go and click the button. That's it. Just do it.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission