2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Will P Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I'm fairly certain this is what I will audition with, on the classical side. I would like some opinions from you all!

-Baroque: Prelude&Fugue in C# by Bach(WTC book 1)
-Classical: Sonata Pastoral mvmt. 2 by Beethoven
-Romantic: Ballade #1 in G minor by Chopin
-Modern-ish: Prelude #3 by Gershwin

While Ballade shows off my chops and technique, I think Pastoral, though it's easier, will be a good complement as it shows off phrasing, a lyrical style, and it's just a beautiful song!

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Will P:
[...]I think Pastoral, though it's easier, will be a good complement as it shows off phrasing, a lyrical style, and it's just a beautiful song!
I thought it was a (movement from a) Sonata! Make sure you don't call any of your pieces "songs" in front of any jury.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
W
Will P Offline OP
OP Offline
W
hahaha, good advice. I'm curious though, why can't a Sonata movement be classified as a song? Or is it just childish-sounding. It still seems applicable

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

The term "song" is usually defined as a short musical composition of words and music that is sung by the human voice.

Solo piano works are not referred to as songs (the Mendelssohn "Songs Without Words" perhaps being an exception). The movements of piano sonatas in particular are never referred to as songs.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Are these college auditions? Assuming that, here follow my thoughts:

Beethoven: Typically one plays a sonata movement to demonstrate control of classical forms. I don't think that a slow movement would really be effective.

Chopin: I would be inclined to say that the Chopin can display a singing tone, musicianship, and phrasing. While not easy per se, it's not what I'd play to demonstrate my technique.
Do you know any concert etudes?

Gershwin: This is not exactly what I'd consider modern either, but it's not as big of an issue as the classical sonata movement..

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by Will P:
hahaha, good advice. I'm curious though, why can't a Sonata movement be classified as a song? Or is it just childish-sounding. It still seems applicable
Musical definition of song: a piece of music which is sung.
iPod definition of song: anything audible that you can download.

See the difference? smile And see who or what has caused this confusion? mad

Some of us get our knickers in a knot over this one. It bothers me because what used to be a perfectly exact term which I could use and be reasonably sure people could understand is now a broad general word I am obliged to further explain. For example, if I want to mention a Schubert song, I have to then explain that I actually do mean a song, that is, a vocal work, and not, for example, the piano sonata in B flat... *sigh*

A lot of people here will argue (and have, on many threads which you can search for if you have nothing better to do smile ) that there's no need to fuss, as it's perfectly clear what you meant. But they have to agree that now if I say "song", it may not be perfectly clear to you what I meant.

Tiresome, isn't it? smile Just take Bruce's advice, and you'll be ok.

Du holde Kunst...
W
Will P Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally posted by Fleeting Visions:
Beethoven: Typically one plays a sonata movement to demonstrate control of classical forms. I don't think that a slow movement would really be effective.

Chopin: I would be inclined to say that the Chopin can display a singing tone, musicianship, and phrasing. While not easy per se, it's not what I'd play to demonstrate my technique.
Do you know any concert etudes?

Gershwin: This is not exactly what I'd consider modern either, but it's not as big of an issue as the classical sonata movement..
1) I am not auditioning to be a classical piano major. I will major in jazz piano. But I know that the better classical repertoire/audition I can give, the more options I will have and the better chances I have of getting into the jazz major.

2)When you say that the Beethoven movement doesn't display control of "classical forms," what is exactly do you mean? What piece shows a form more desirable for an audition? Would it truly be a bad idea to audition with this? I think it would show great control and interpretation of a simple yet well-voiced theme.

3) I really don't understand why a Ballade by Chopin would not be a good display of technique. I have been led to believe college auditions take pure technique analysis from your scales and arpeggios, and then they expect you to play music, not more exercises (such as Etudes). But you seem far more informed than me on this topic, am I wrong?

Stick with your program as you've already defined it. For someone hoping to major in jazz piano the repertoire you've selected is just fine.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
To better understand where I was coming from, that was for a piano performance program. As far as jazz? I don't know.

For a better idea of what is typical, see this thread. Most of them had an etude by Liszt, Chopin, or another composer-pianist. Those that didn't had very demanding solo repertoire which left no doubts as to their technical prowess, such as full Prokofiev and Beethoven sonatas or famous showpieces like Mephisto Waltz, and Gaspard de la Nuit.

Here is a forum member's thread: http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/14410.html

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon

FP -

With all due respect, I believe that if Will P can successfully "pull off" the pieces he has selected for his audition his technical skills will be evident. The Ballade is not easy - if played well (nor are the other selections). Also - he shouldn't be encouraged to play repertoire he's not ready to tackle (such as Mephisto or Gaspard).

Will P - I suggest you simply work with yout teacher and follow her advice on this. She knows what you a capacble of doing at this point in your musical development.

Good luck !!

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano

Whoops - I meant FV (not FP)....Sorry !

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
M
M
It looks good, although I tend to agree with not playing the 2nd (slow) movement of a sonata, if you can really do this well, then go for it. The Ballade should compensate for this. Remember, even though you're going for a jazz major, you will still have to show that you are capable of doing classical.

A lot of times the college will suggest that those who will be entering their jazz studies should have a jazz standard in there rather than a 20th century piece to show what you're capable of. Speak with the head of the jazz department of the schools you're applying at to find out what they would like to hear.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission