2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 1200s, akse0435, 6 invisible), 1,326 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
I had a question about getting up and down the keyboard with the right hand quickly. I know it involves proper finger crossing techniques, as well as which notes to hit along the way, as well as certain fingers to use, but putting all of that together has been a mystery. Was wondering if anyone could help, or offer advice on any particular training videos, as I really didn't want to get a teacher for this alone (....most would probably only want to correct everything else I am doing wrong and never give me what I want...)

I am "self" taught, play by ear (I can read music, but I'm slow) and usually play in an accomp. style while singing. I now feel like I would like to get a little more fancy with the right hand during "interludes" or whatever with filling and fast moving improvisational notes up and down the keyboard.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Chris,
I know you probably don't want a sermon; but there's just no substitute for knowing scales and arpeggios in all keys. smile

Sincerely,
Eldon
C
OP Offline
C
Originally posted by Eldon:
Chris,
I know you probably don't want a sermon; but there's just no substitute for knowing scales and arpeggios in all keys. smile

Hi Eldon...Thanks for the response.

I do know my scales and arpeggios. What I seem to have trouble with is knowing which fingers to use when trying to get up the keyboard fast.

Let's say we are in key of G and there is a long section or pause in that chord (G that is). That's a good time for a fill/run up the keys. What I need to know is which fingers, which notes. I know what notes are in my scale...but not all should be hit in a run up the keys should they? Perhaps just the ones that make a GM7 or G2 or something? .....anyway, I think you understand what I mean.

Thanks for any additional input.

Chris

J
Joe Offline
J
Try transcribing some solos that you think are really snazzy. You don't have to stick to piano solos either, you can try sax solos, for instance. As far as which fingers, a teacher is really the only help I can think of, if you have trouble adapting a scale or arpeggio fingering to a situation.

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: Joe ]

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would recommend doing something similar - i.e. transposing solos, scales, arpeggios, various patterns etc. into various (and ALL!) keys. At first do this slowly and work out which fingerings seem to 'fit' well under your fingers. When you work these up eventually you will have a natural feel for where you want your fingers to be when you play a scale, arpeggio, or pattern in a particular key. Also, you might want to purchase a book that provides fingerings for every scale and technical excercises to consult. There is a brown book (can't remember the name except I know its cover is brown) which is popular.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you're looking for ways to do fills, runs, etc., there's a guy named Duane Shinn who sells courses that specialize in those areas to dress up ones playing so that you sound like a perfect Holiday Inn pianist. I haven't experienced his tapes but you might look at http://www.playpiano.com/catalog.htm to see if anything fits your needs.

Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as heck...
C
OP Offline
C
Hey, thanks everyone for the reponses...

I will try these things as well as check out those videos that were mentioned.

If anyone knows the name of that brown book, please let me know. It's probably one I should have in my arsenal.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Chris

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris F.:
[QB]

I do know my scales and arpeggios. What I seem to have trouble with is knowing which fingers to use when trying to get up the keyboard fast.

I suggest that you use the conventional fingerings for playing scales when you play right-hand "runs" as fill-ins.
Using the thumb as 1, and the little finger as 5:
For the scales of C, G, D, A, E and B major, the conventional right-hand fingering is 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1 or 5. The alternate 5th finger is, of course, if you are not continuing the scale any further up the keyboard. Do the fingering in reverse for descending scale passages.
For F major: 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2,3, 1 or 4.
For Bflat major: 2, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 4.
For Eflat major: 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3.
For Aflat major: 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3.
For Dflat major: 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2.
For Gflat major: 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2.
These are conventional fingerings, and, of course, there are variations to them. I hope this helps.
Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Chris F.:
If anyone knows the name of that brown book, please let me know. It's probably one I should have in my arsenal.

isn't it just called the Brown Scale Book or something like that? saw that somewhere...

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Chris F.:

isn't it just called the Brown Scale Book or something like that? saw that somewhere...

and thanks for those fingerings Bruce... very helpful...=]

C
OP Offline
C
Yes Bruce....thanks for those fingerings. I tried them and they are very natural. Amazing once you know the right way to do things!!!

Also, I checked out playpiano.com and found some great training material I would like to get. Duane has material specifically on fills and runs and a variety of ways to do them.

I will also ask someone about that brown scale book at my local music dealer.

Thanks again everyone.

Chris

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission