2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (clothearednincompo, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#461911 12/03/07 10:20 AM
OP Offline
Hi! As 2007 is closing out, my college auditions are coming up soon, and I'm stressing. Here's my program:

Bach: Prelude and Fugue in C min from WTC
Beethoven: Sonata "Pathetique"
Chopin: Heroic Polonaise ( Ab Maj op 53 )
Debussy: Reflets Dans L'Eau from Images Bk I

I'll be auditioning at SUNY Fredonia (1/19), Crane School of Music (2/2), and Ithaca (2/16).

So far, everything is memorized except the third movement of the Sonata. I can play all of them close to speed, but it is still a respectable performance speed that is suitable for capturing the character of each piece. Where do you think I should be at the moment?

If it gives you a better picture of where I am, I can put any part or all of my audition online.

Also, Fredonia and Crane only require 3 contrasting pieces ( The Music Education Program ). How do I decided which ones to choose?

Thanks for the help.

Piano Hero Encore Rocks the 1800s!

Current Assignments:
Bach Prelude and Fugue in Bb Maj, D min, and C Maj from Bk I
Mozart Sonata K.280
Brahms Rhapsody Op. 79 No. 2
Bartok Six Roumanian Folk Dances
Prokofieff Visions Fugitives Op. 22

I'm going to Ithaca! Yay!!!
#461912 12/03/07 11:12 AM
Which three pieces do you play best. Which one of those four pieces is your weakest link?

#461913 12/03/07 11:25 AM
OP Offline
That is logical, however, if it's my weakest link, why should it get the least performance? I don't want to get to the Ithaca audition and have a piece that I haven't performed at a college audition yet.

In answer to your question, I'd say the Prelude and Fugue.

Current Assignments:
Mozart Sonata K.280

#461914 12/03/07 11:33 AM
then you practice and perform it more, so that it gets better. But for auditions put your best foot forward. Does not mean you stop working on it. Perform it for your friends family anyone who will listen. Practice it and make it a strength.

#461915 12/03/07 12:13 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
hi,
perform for as many people as you can, that will help alot.

don't worry, everyone's stressing up, including me. I have 3 auditions next year, a harmony exam this sat, history exam next year, another competition and ARCT Performer's exam. gota finish all of this by June next year. lol...i'm pratically dead by now

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
#461916 12/03/07 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Amelialw:
hi,

don't worry, everyone's stressing up, including me. I have 3 auditions next year, a harmony exam this sat, history exam next year, another competition and ARCT Performer's exam. gota finish all of this by June next year. lol...i'm pratically dead by now
Just got to keep chugging along... don't you agree?

#461917 12/03/07 02:00 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Enjoy your auditions I say. There may never be many chances to get audience in he piano. I mean I got my diploma at some point, did some concerts around Greece, and in other countries, planned to take part in a few competitions, then I moved, dedicated to composition, stoped having piano, and that's it. That's where I am.

You never know what life will bring ahead. Any chance you have to play on any audience, even if it is a pannel, enjoy the heck out of it! Get out and live every moment. Be happy that you are giving THEM the chance to listen to you.

The above phychology helps a lot. (At least helped me a lot)

#461918 12/03/07 02:10 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Things to do:

Continue practicing slowly
Continue practicing with the score
Continue practicing hands separately
Continue practicing with a metronome
Continue analyzing the score

Record yourself and listen to it
Run-though your entire program for family and friends

Things NOT to do:

Let run-throughs dominate your practice time
Practice/play exclusively from memory
Practice/play exclusively at tempo

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
#461919 12/03/07 02:13 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Kreisler:
[QBPractice/play exclusively from memory[/QB]
May I ask why on this? Totally curious, as I used to learn everything by memory after the first few days, so I didn't need the scores anymore. Of course I would take a peak, but is there a reason why not from memory?

We agree on everything, inclduding the memory thing, just curious I guess.

#461920 12/03/07 03:11 PM
OP Offline
Things to do:

Continue analyzing the score

Can you elaborate more? My teacher doesn't work on analysis at all with me. Is a simple chord analysis, along with highlighting the melody, enough? And, is this something I can do away from the piano?

Current Assignments:
Mozart Sonata K.280

#461921 12/03/07 04:21 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Nikolas:
[QBPractice/play exclusively from memory
May I ask why on this? Totally curious, as I used to learn everything by memory after the first few days, so I didn't need the scores anymore. Of course I would take a peak, but is there a reason why not from memory?

We agree on everything, inclduding the memory thing, just curious I guess. [/QB]
Unless you have an incredible, remarkable memory, it is a fallacy to say that you "didn't need the scores anymore." One "needs" to constantly check that wrong notes (that simple four-note arpeggio accompaniment figure was in root position on the first beat but in first inversion on the second beat: did I do that?) don't creep into one's playing - wrong notes that "sound" right but that are not in the score.

Building on what Kreisler has said, play through the piece slowly and with score on a regular basis; don't rely on memory, it's remarkably fallible.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#461922 12/03/07 04:46 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally posted by TheMadMan86:
Originally posted by Amelialw:
[b] hi,

Just got to keep chugging along... don't you agree? [/b]
yup laugh

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
#461923 12/03/07 04:47 PM
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by BruceD:
Originally posted by Nikolas:
[b]
[QBPractice/play exclusively from memory

We agree on everything, inclduding the memory thing, just curious I guess. [/b]
Unless you have an incredible, remarkable memory, it is a fallacy to say that you "didn't need the scores anymore." One "needs" to constantly check that wrong notes (that simple four-note arpeggio accompaniment figure was in root position on the first beat but in first inversion on the second beat: did I do that?) don't creep into one's playing - wrong notes that "sound" right but that are not in the score.

Building on what Kreisler has said, play through the piece slowly and with score on a regular basis; don't rely on memory, it's remarkably fallible.

Regards, [/QB]
I think it's different for anyone. I don't need the score after a couple of days either. The metronome, however, I absolutely need to make use of as for some reason tempo fluctuation is my weakness. It's really bad.

On the other hand, I know some people at school that simply have an incredible sense of rythm and very rarely need to use the metronome, but may have trouble memorizing.

I will say though that I need to make 100% sure I learn every note correctly the first time or else it's much harder to fix it, especially because of the fact that if you learn it quickly it tends to get repeated more often.

Shigeru Kawai SK7
Kawai NV10S
Hallet & Davis 165
#461924 12/03/07 04:53 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Bruce: Hardly a fallacy. And I know plenty of people who have "the same" memory as me. It just works out. BTW, I'm not talking about contemporary works. I do recall a work from a greek composer named Anastassiou, which I learned from memory only 2 weeks before the diploma, and I have been studying it hard. It was simply too diverse and "complicated" for me at the time. But other things like more... classical or romantic pieces, it seems relatively safe to not need the score after a while.

I do think that good dicté abilities are also helpful to that.

Re Analysis: Depends on the work, there's not "much else" from harmony etc, but it might benefit to know the form, repeatitions and prolly a few more things. Especially the younger works you go, the more analysis you need to be able to do.

Also, another important thing I did when studying was to devide into small parts and study those parts (maybe 2-3 bars) that gave me a hard time. No need to play all 181 bars, only the bars between 60-73 for example.

And different ways of playing and studying (always slowly) ("modes" is the name in Greek). You accent every 3 notes, or you play 1 dotted, 1 16th, or reverse, or things like that. It's an automated pilot system which is not completely reliable, at least for me and how it worked, but it had miracle results for fast learning of difficult passages.

#461925 12/03/07 06:04 PM
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Nikolas, you mean playing in rythms? If so, I agree that it is an excellent practice method. I use it not only to learn technically difficult passages but to ensure control over 16th and 32nd notes as well.

Shigeru Kawai SK7
Kawai NV10S
Hallet & Davis 165
#461926 12/03/07 06:11 PM
T
T
What about the whole Chuang C. Chang approach that says you should memorize the score pretty much before you even learn it? Memorize it in snippets that is? I mean it seems logical...
I've always referred back to the score and mostly played from it while practicing, I don't know whether that was disadvantageous...
Definitely slow and hands-separate, but I would probably suggest looking at the score and playing it mentally as opposed to reading from the score while playing. I may have missed any threads that were in concord or opposed to Chang's method, so enlighten me! smile

#461927 12/03/07 06:40 PM
Good luck! I studied at IC, although most of the piano faculty (including my teacher) have since moved on or retired so I have no special insight. If I recall correctly your "meat and potatoes" repertoire should appeal to Prof. Mehta (really it's what any audition jury will probably want to hear). I don't really remember much about his tastes though since it was so long ago and he wasn't on my recital juries.

Are you applying for Music Ed. at Ithaca also?

Re memorization: my trick, passed on to me by my teacher, was to play through the piece slowly and silently . . . until I could play the whole piece silently without the score. When I actually managed it things went pretty well under pressure. Unfortunately more often than not the performance arrived before I was done with this stage of memorization!

(Ha my first post takes me back to my college days, neat!)

Steinway C
#461928 12/03/07 06:56 PM
OP Offline
Yes, I am applying for Music Ed at Ithaca. I'm actually applying for the double major Education/Performance. That's my first choice as far as schools go.

Current Assignments:
Mozart Sonata K.280

#461929 12/03/07 08:30 PM
Good choice! No I'm not biased ;-)

Steinway C

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission