2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Has this ever happened to anyone? It's happened to me a few times over the last few years and my finger will turn black and blue but within a day it's ok. I banged my fingers in August and had tingling for days in the fingers. It went away. Two weeks ago, while doing some not too heavy weight lifting, a vessel broke in my finger. It turned very black and blue and probably because I continued to lift, it took longer to heal. Now, almost 2 weeks later, my finger keeps getting black and blue as the day goes on, and starts to tingle. Is this normal? I'm a little freaked out. It doesn't hurt at all, but I'm concerned. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this, esp. since we all use our fingers so much with playing our instruments. I play piano. confused

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
About 2 months ago I was placing a dumbbell back on the rack and I accidentally smashed one of my fingers. It turned black and was very painful for about 2 days. I didn't play the piano at all for those 2 days. I started playing again on the third day and about a month later I was able to safely peel the black part off.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by alvaroloaiza:
About 2 months ago I was placing a dumbbell back on the rack and I accidentally smashed one of my fingers. It turned black and was very painful for about 2 days. I didn't play the piano at all for those 2 days. I started playing again on the third day and about a month later I was able to safely peel the black part off.
Ouch, I can almost feel that pain. Thanks for the response!

Irenev - I too have frequently broken blood vessels in my fingers. This has often happened for no apparent reason - my finger will suddenly feel sore and I'll look at it and suddenly realize it's purple and swollen. The discolouration eventually goes away and everything is normal afterwards, however I have noticed that those fingers tend to very susceptible to the cold and will get numb quite quickly if exposed to the least bit of cold. As I live in a northern climate this does become a bit of an issue at times. I guess the broken vessels do interfere with circulation.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by jehalliday:
Irenev - I too have frequently broken blood vessels in my fingers. This has often happened for no apparent reason - my finger will suddenly feel sore and I'll look at it and suddenly realize it's purple and swollen. The discolouration eventually goes away and everything is normal afterwards, however I have noticed that those fingers tend to very susceptible to the cold and will get numb quite quickly if exposed to the least bit of cold. As I live in a northern climate this does become a bit of an issue at times. I guess the broken vessels do interfere with circulation.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by jehalliday:
Hi, thanks for the info. I also live in the Northeast and my hands get really cold and stiff once the temp drops. I wear fleece gloves w/hand lotion or vaseline to keep them warmer. Doesn't work that well though. Maybe we have Raynaud's? Anyway, I'm not sure if it's normal for it to still be "acting up" 2 weeks later.

D
D
Holy crap! I would totally freak out if one of my fingers turned black/purple! I´ve never seen it, so I don´t think it´s too common among pianists.

My fingers are very thin though and get cold easily, so I soak them in hot water from time to time during practise and before performances.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Based on my non-professional medical knowledge, it sounds like you broke one of the larger vessels in your finger. After each time you get internal bleeding and bruising, you're getting clot formation, which is part of the process of healing. However, it seems that you aren't resting your hand enough and you are regularly breaking the clot again before sufficient healing has occurred. You really need to rest it (stop playing and exercising for a while - it's hard but just do it). Also, if it's ever swollen, ice it - swelling will result in increased pressure in the area and increased shear stress on the clot, breaking it down more easily.

In the long term, you have nothing to worry about, because even if your vessel is so damaged that it can't be repaired, you'll grow new blood vessels to circumvent the trouble spot and bring nutrients everywhere they're needed. But in the short term, it's possible you could do minor damage to the area if it goes too long without sufficient blood flow (ie. if you keep bruising over and over before new vessels grow). Rest.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by MarkH:
Based on my non-professional medical knowledge, it sounds like you broke one of the larger vessels in your finger. After each time you get internal bleeding and bruising, you're getting clot formation, which is part of the process of healing. However, it seems that you aren't resting your hand enough and you are regularly breaking the clot again before sufficient healing has occurred. You really need to rest it (stop playing and exercising for a while - it's hard but just do it). Also, if it's ever swollen, ice it - swelling will result in increased pressure in the area and increased shear stress on the clot, breaking it down more easily.

In the long term, you have nothing to worry about, because even if your vessel is so damaged that it can't be repaired, you'll grow new blood vessels to circumvent the trouble spot and bring nutrients everywhere they're needed. But in the short term, it's possible you could do minor damage to the area if it goes too long without sufficient blood flow (ie. if you keep bruising over and over before new vessels grow). Rest.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Mark, that's pretty impressive for a non-professional and very helpful. I am not going to lift (actually, I haven't lifted weights in over a week) but I've continued to practice the piano, do yoga, etc. I will try to rest it. Thanks again.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Ouch!!!

And I thought that pulling my wrist and pinky finger was bad lol. Im fortunate to have never had this happen to me.

'Its too rare to break a hand from playing the piano ... But playing Hanon as written will break your hand'

- Self proclaimed 'piano teachers' on the internet.
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by Bhav:
Ouch!!!

And I thought that pulling my wrist and pinky finger was bad lol. Im fortunate to have never had this happen to me.
There's no pain or swelling, but it is very scary to look at. I keep thinking the finger will fall off. laugh

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
My pulls and twists make my hands better once they recover though smile

'Its too rare to break a hand from playing the piano ... But playing Hanon as written will break your hand'

- Self proclaimed 'piano teachers' on the internet.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
An exercise that could help prevent this in the future is to run your hands under water and alternate between warm and cool water.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
No problem. Glad to have helped:)

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Over the years, I have broken many. Seems not to be a problem, although the worst ones can ache for a day or two, and because they are scary-looking, I've tended to ease up on practice until the discoloration goes away.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by davaofthekeys:
Holy crap! I would totally freak out if one of my fingers turned black/purple! I´ve never seen it, so I don´t think it´s too common among pianists.

My fingers are very thin though and get cold easily, so I soak them in hot water from time to time during practise and before performances.
LOL, it's not that bad. Doesn't hurt. However, when I would have to perform, I would get very anxious, and my hands would get ice cold, stiff and well, you know what that does to your piano playing. Used to make me crazy. I'd wear gloves until I went onstage, but they hardly helped.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by wr:
Over the years, I have broken many. Seems not to be a problem, although the worst ones can ache for a day or two, and because they are scary-looking, I've tended to ease up on practice until the discoloration goes away.
Broken many what? Fingers????? How????? My finger didn't swell, so I didn't even consider that I broke a bone. Did you have swelling? How did you know it was broken? I haveno pain.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally posted by Irenev:
Originally posted by wr:
[b] Over the years, I have broken many. Seems not to be a problem, although the worst ones can ache for a day or two, and because they are scary-looking, I've tended to ease up on practice until the discoloration goes away.
Broken many what? Fingers????? How????? My finger didn't swell, so I didn't even consider that I broke a bone. Did you have swelling? How did you know it was broken? I haveno pain. [/b]
Sorry if it was unclear that I was referring to the subject of the thread when talking about broken things.

Anyway, I usually didn't have swelling when I broke a blood vessel, but did have a little a couple of times. And yeah, I had a minor ache from some of them, too, although not enough to really cause serious concern.

S
S
chasingrainbows...I hope your worries didn't cause you too lose too much sleep...I had a similar situation. I just started playing the piano, but when I first smashed my fingers I was really into the guitar. It was a real pain. Luckily everything healed up nicely and I could jam away again.

If all else fails and you can't use your fingers, there is always the bongos I guess LOL

-Sara

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission