2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
46 members (CyberGene, 3x4rt, Dazzie2, Greta99, 36251, EVC2017, BachToTheFuture, donpi, iliverez, 9 invisible), 396 guests, and 410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Dvorak Piano Quintet in A op. 81 - tricky passages
#456784 11/17/06 12:23 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Hey everyone -- it's been a while!
I'm playing this amazing quintet with my chamber group at NEC and it's been a lot of fun so far. We're just about through the first movement, and I've gotten by so far by kind of faking certain passages -- cutting out one hand to "turn the page" or simply just flat out playing something badly. It seems like the string players are scrutinized much more than I am, which I guess is understandable because there are four of them, and the coach is a violist. Anyway, I want to just master these passages now so I can stop stressing out about them. Unfortunately my edition doesn't have bar numbers (it's a problem during rehearsals..), so I'll do my best to describe the passages.

1) Section C in my edition, not sure if that's a standard marking or just in my edition. It's near the beginning -- fourth page -- and the strings are all holding high E's. Piano has descending E major broken inversions in both hands, 8th note triplets. Right before viola solo with piano accompaniment. I have a lot of trouble playing the left hand here. It's hard to reach across my body with my left hand... something about this passage just gives me so much trouble.

2) A couple pages later, during section D in my edition, the unison ascending major and minor third inversion things (horrible description), after the F sharp minor 8th note arpeggios and subsequent left hand half note octaves for 3 bars up to a D major chord. This passage kills me.

Describing the specific sections was harder than I thought. But if anyone familiar with the piece can figure out which sections I am referring to, any suggestions as to how to practice these parts would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for the help!

-Ari

Re: Dvorak Piano Quintet in A op. 81 - tricky passages
#456785 11/17/06 09:22 AM
B
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
B
Yeah, both of those passages were hard for me too. It's all about wrist movement - try to play the gestures with your fingers and more with your wrist turning your hand (like you're turning a doorknob). Just practice it slowly moving your left hand as much as possible, then decrease the movement as you near tempo. It's a pretty well-written piano part EXCEPT for those passages. Dvorak wasn't an exceptional pianist, so what we get is what we get.

A fake for the thirds is to just play the notes that fall on the quarter notes in your left hand. Bring out your right hand and no one will notice!

#456786 11/17/06 04:01 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks a lot for the reply. I'll try that out now and let you know how it goes! It was either this or the Brahms -- maybe the Brahms is more "pianistic" throughout, but I think this was a safer bet for a first quintet.

#456787 11/17/06 04:07 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D
1. There are two simple ways to practise this:
- play the 4-note chords as block chords and practise until you can do them comfortably but firmly at the required speed
- practise as written but take as much time as you need between chords (this usually becomes no extra time at all quite soon but don't force it) make sure that the pairs are played as you would firm chords and that the rest of each figure is legato - the pairs do carry accents and that helps.

2. Each 3-note figure is not that difficult in itself. When practising, take as much time as you need between figures. This again will soon become no time at all. Again, don't rush the process.

John

Vasa inania multum strepunt.
#456788 11/17/06 04:55 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks drumour, those sound like good ideas! I'll try them out!

#456789 11/18/06 01:34 AM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Pay special attention to the position of the piano bench. Make sure you are not so close to the keyboard that you have difficulty moving your arms across your body. Practicing chamber music can make you miss simple things like that, since it takes more room than you might think. Nothing much else fits in my living room when my quartet comes over.

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia L225 loses tune very quickly
by M_albert - 10/20/20 01:49 AM
Piano Safari Christmas collection
by ebonykawai - 10/19/20 08:59 PM
Another "beginner" piece w/twist
by MilesAbbott - 10/19/20 08:58 PM
Sostenuto Pedal....in an upright?
by Duaner - 10/19/20 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,315
Posts3,015,360
Members98,949
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission