2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
66 members (Beowulf, Badger1966, 36251, anotherscott, dbudde, CyberGene, 1957, 18 invisible), 537 guests, and 399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: what's a college music student's life like?
#455295 10/24/03 08:47 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Music majors get into law and medical school all the time.

Some law professors really like getting students from the fine arts.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
#455296 10/24/03 09:22 PM
boy - I hope this is the gansta thread....

I got to tell you the truth. I really like it. Especially Eminem - he is a poetic genius comparable to some of our best modern poets. I love the beat and the elemental energy. The lyrics are often so clever...

I definitely listen to more classical but - - its very refreshing for a change

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
#455297 10/24/03 11:55 PM
K
K
There is nothing incompatible about music and law. In fact, both require common skills. Music requires analyzing - so does law. Music requires one to be detail oriented - so does the law. Music requires one to be able to express oneself - so does the law. I believe that law school admission committees look for unusual backgrounds in order to round out the student body. The "law school experience" is recognized as something unique and that uniqueness is enhanced by interesting students. But by the same token, I knew lots of flaky music students who would not have been able to get into law school.

#455298 10/26/03 07:01 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The life of a good student at NEC:

Wake up at 5:30 AM, be the first or second in line when the school door opens at 6 AM so you get the best pick of the pianos, practice until a little before 9AM, go get coffee at the coffee shop. Go to your classes which range in the AM from private lessons, writing, world history, liberal arts courses, 3 times a week it is 2 hours each morning of chorus, chamber music, accompanying, etc. Sometime in the middle of the day you will have a couple of hours free which you will use for either studying for an exam or waste 45 minutes of it looking for a practice room, ANY practice room, at that point. Grab a quick lunch at the dorm or at Taco heck accross the street, go to your afternoon classes (Music History, Solfege, Harmony, Performance practice, and any elective classes you chose such as contemporary piano repertoire, the Beethoven Piano Sonatas, Conducting, IVes Bartok and Stravinsky, Composition, etc.) Classes end around 5 or 6 PM. You then either go practice more, or meet your chamber music group for rehearsal, or go to the audio library to listen to recordings for some class. At 8 is when all the concerts start and you have to decide between extra practice time our seeing your friends perform.

The not so good student: wakes up at 5:35 AM is third in line for the pianos and once in a practice room arranges the chairs in a row, locks the door, and lies down to sleep until 8 AM like a dog protecting its territory. Other than that it is pretty much the same.

Practice time for both goes on till 10 or 11 PM

The Koreans will arrange it so they will manipulate one or two of the best practice rooms throughout the day, passing it off among themselves.

Despite all this, there is still the wonderful element of living virtually every breathing moment with great musicians, who enjoy the process of creating music as much as you do, going to two and three concerts a night performed by friends on all intsruments, getting a true acquaintance of the repertoire out there beyond piano literature, the excitement of being part of the chorus when you perform Moyart or Verdi's Requiem in concert, or of the orchestra in Petroushka or of allowing a student composer to hear his own creation performed for the first time in New Music Concerts, feeling part of the whole.

And inevitably there are also the school politics. This teacher only likes Asian female students, that teacher's students suck but he's the head of the department so they all pass, the few that have the huge egos that will study with the famous teacher at the school and think they are the belly button of the world, so and so won the concerto competition because they study with you know who even though someone else played infintiely more musically, the teacher who instills jealousy among students and the other who heartens them to support eachother and to exapnd their horiyons beyond music. But most especially, the very wondeful lifelong relationships you create with honest, serious musicians which speak and understand things in pretty much the same terms as you do.

The best years of my life. I didn't know how happy I was there until I was no longer there!

Elena
http://www.concertpianist.com

Schnabel's advie to Horowitz: "When a piece gets difficult, make faces."
#455299 10/26/03 10:57 AM
B
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by EHpianist:
The Koreans will arrange it so they will manipulate one or two of the best practice rooms throughout the day, passing it off among themselves...

And inevitably there are also the school politics. This teacher only likes Asian female students, that teacher's students suck but he's the head of the department so they all pass, the few that have the huge egos that will study with the famous teacher at the school and think they are the belly button of the world, so and so won the concerto competition because they study with you know who even though someone else played infintiely more musically, the teacher who instills jealousy among students and the other who heartens them to support eachother and to exapnd their horizons beyond music.
This is the most accurate thing I have ever read.

#455300 10/26/03 11:32 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by EHpianist:
The Koreans will arrange it so they will manipulate one or two of the best practice rooms throughout the day, passing it off among themselves.
That's why it's important to make friends with the Korean students. If I hadn't, I might never have been able to practice on anything other than the old Steinway K from the turn of the century. Right, Choi? wink

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
#455301 10/26/03 01:52 PM
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
I have only been a college student for 2 months or so, but my experience has been fantastic at the Hartt school. Piano majors get a 2 hour time slot every day in a certain room guaranteed, but we always need more of course. The school just got new pianos recently, so I have been able to get practice rooms consistently without too much trouble. Sometimes, they will be all full, but that has only happened a few times. I practice for about 5 hours or so, and some days I only have one class (Like on Thursdays) so it is easy to fit in. I am taking composition lessons as well, so I have to find time to do that- but that is a tremendously enjoyable activity. There are also numerous opportunities for composers to have their works performed, so that helps my compositional side as well.

The concert scene here is absolutely fantastic, as I would guess it is at other music schools as well. I have seen dozens of concerts so far, too many to count. The Miami string quartet is the resident quartet here, replacing the Emerson string quartet who were here for 21 or so years. There is 2 concerts today actually, a music competition finals, and a chamber music one later on.

Not only music, but there are plays as well, like Shakespeare, and the Crucible is playing now. It makes for wonderful exposure to the arts, and is a great experience.

#455302 10/26/03 06:58 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The not so good student: wakes up at 5:35 AM is third in line for the pianos and once in a practice room arranges the chairs in a row, locks the door, and lies down to sleep until 8 AM like a dog protecting its territory. Other than that it is pretty much the same.
I had to laugh when I read this...I have actually done it before! I have gotten up at about 6 o'clock, ran to the nice Steinway, locked the door and then slept on the floor for a few hours, every great once in a while getting up to bang a few notes on the piano in case anyone was standing outside waiting. Oh, the memories! (and the anger when another piano teacher come down the hall and pounded on the door until I got up and he promptly threw me out, so HIS student could practice! Grrrr!!)

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
#455303 10/26/03 08:16 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Crash Test. Say hello to Colin Britt (from Peter Westcott and Ma). He's from my son's high school and was an incredible local talent. That kid directed more plays and musicals than most professionals I know! Not to mention the fact that he composed and played piano amazingly well.

#455304 10/26/03 08:25 PM
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
I know Colin very well here, actually. I hanged out with him, along with a group of other music majors a good deal.

#455305 10/26/03 08:26 PM
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
What's your son's name so I can tell him about it? I do not know if he will know you by name, so tis' why I ask!

#455306 10/26/03 08:36 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Peter Westcott. smile

#455307 10/28/03 05:14 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Matt G.:
That's why it's important to make friends with the Korean students. If I hadn't, I might never have been able to practice on anything other than the old Steinway K from the turn of the century. Right, Choi? wink
Actually I had many korean friends (and Japanases and Taiwanese, and Chinese, and Greek, and Malays), but they were not part of the piano controling clique. There were two types of Koreans at NEC, those who came from average middle-class families that were full of curiosity and had an open mind ready to experience everything, and those that were the children of very rich parents who wore $3000 outfits to school and didn't speak a word to anyone except other Koreans unless they absolutely had to. These were the practiceroom mafia.

Elena

#455308 10/28/03 05:18 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by PianoMuse:
I had to laugh when I read this...I have actually done it before!
Ha! I spoke from a repeated personal experience as well....

wink

Elena

#455309 10/29/03 12:23 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A tip for those with practice room woes:
If a teacher is not there for the day and you decide to sneak into his studio to practice, DOUBLE CHECK to make sure he won't be there for that day!

I can't believe I am telling this story, but a while back I stole an extra key from the music office so I could get into a teacher's studio with a really nice piano whenever he wasn't there.

Well, one day I knew that the prof. wasn't coming in that day, so I opened up his studio and went in to practice.

It was extremely hot that day- so hot, while I was practicing, I took off my shirt and was down to my camisole underneath it. I was still having trouble breathing, and thought I was going to pass out, so I just went for the gusto and took off my camisole and was down to just my bra and skirt.

Well, you can imagine what happened next. That teacher had decided to come in that day to do make-up lessons. You can imagine his suprise (and my embaressment) when he opened the door and there I was. I remember he turned around really quickly, bright red, and I scrambled to get my shirt on. I mumbled some excuse about the door being open and I needed a place to practice.

Neither of us spoke of it again.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
#455310 10/29/03 04:45 PM
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by PianoMuse:
A tip for those with practice room woes:
If a teacher is not there for the day and you decide to sneak into his studio to practice, DOUBLE CHECK to make sure he won't be there for that day!

I can't believe I am telling this story, but a while back I stole an extra key from the music office so I could get into a teacher's studio with a really nice piano whenever he wasn't there.

Well, one day I knew that the prof. wasn't coming in that day, so I opened up his studio and went in to practice.

It was extremely hot that day- so hot, while I was practicing, I took off my shirt and was down to my camisole underneath it. I was still having trouble breathing, and thought I was going to pass out, so I just went for the gusto and took off my camisole and was down to just my bra and skirt.

Well, you can imagine what happened next. That teacher had decided to come in that day to do make-up lessons. You can imagine his suprise (and my embaressment) when he opened the door and there I was. I remember he turned around really quickly, bright red, and I scrambled to get my shirt on. I mumbled some excuse about the door being open and I needed a place to practice.

Neither of us spoke of it again.
Wow. You should come practice here at Hartt.

laugh

#455311 10/29/03 05:25 PM
Hey Elena,

Just had a look at your website...I'm in the Royal Irish Academy of Music in Dublin! smile
Just thought reading about the Feis Ceoil was pretty cool:)

Cheers,
Kay

#455312 10/29/03 08:00 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Feli,

Who are you studying with? Had a great time at the RIAM, that's where I met my piano duo partner... Say hi to Billy from Elena and Laura!

Elena

PS-Pianomuse, that was a hilarious story! Was your key taken away or did he let you keep it hoping you would "practice" there again?

#455313 10/29/03 11:30 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I kept the key!

He never figured out that I got in through my own means...he thought he had just left the door unlocked. Haha! I still practice in there, but now only at night when he is definitely NOT going to be in!

Oh, college days....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best D Piano/Controller under 600 US Dollars.
by RudessJR - 10/24/20 01:13 PM
Wrist/forearm rotation
by treefrog - 10/24/20 12:31 PM
Kawai Grand Piano 5’10 - asking $7,000
by Anna B. - 10/24/20 12:00 PM
Used Yamaha vs brand new Kawai?
by danlightbulb - 10/24/20 08:52 AM
What is your daily piano practice routine? And few issues!
by sharath kumar - 10/24/20 02:59 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,381
Posts3,016,641
Members99,006
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission