2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,162 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#448378 06/04/02 12:34 PM
G
OP Offline
G
more specifically, do dancers enjoy music more than musicians?

i just started taking dancing lessons about two months ago and i have noticed dramatically improvement in my rhythm. futhermore, the dancing experience has made my piano playing much more rhythmically exciting and my phrasing also improves as a result of stronger sense of rhythm.

best of all, i now enjoy music much more as a result of being able to listen to music in phrases instead of beats. i have always loved listening to music of all kinds (classical, pop, rock, etc.) and now it's almost like i'm able to hear music in "3-D" with the dancing experience.

i'd love to hear from everyone on this interesting observation of mine!

----------------------------------

my background:
- started piano lessons less than 2 years ago as an adult
- started dancing lessons just two months ago (swing, salsa, etc.)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
When I first started learning the piano, I saw it as a way to hit keys and make music. Now that I am more advanced I am motivated by the dynamics of a piece.
I don't have to dance with my body; my brain already is.

"War does not determine who is right; only who is left."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
guassian, you may have something there. I've read numerous books on piano playing that stress feeling rhythm in the body. Also, a tool teachers often use with beginners (and is useful for advanced students as well) goes beyond just counting out loud and incorporates claps of the hands and stomps of the foot... sounds like dancing!

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, you are definatly on to something. My roomate is a dance major. we both love classical music, but we seem to listen to it in two totallyt seprate ways. one day we tried an experiment. i focused strictly to the beat of the piece, while she listened to the actual piano part. (usually it is the other way around). The results were amazing! Because we were able then to listen to music in totally different ways from what we were used to, the "experiment" helped her emotions in dancing, while it helped my rythm. i also think that every dancer should take music lessons, and every musician should take dance!

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
M
M
Wow, guassian-- what an interesting observation!

I took dancing lessons as a child (around age 8 or so), but I also began playing the piano as a child (before age 5), so I’m not sure if I enjoy music more because of the dancing. I do know that I listen to music in several different ways, depending on my “objective” at the time. For example, I might listen to the beat or I might “feel” the music if I’m listening for enjoyment. (And yes, I dance with my kids, just for fun!) On the other hand, I might analyze the music if I need to study the form, the instrumentation, or something.

-mo

-mo
G
OP Offline
G
okay, with my background i would not considered myself a musician nor a dancer smile

i would imagine that a good musician can really hear/feel the music they play, but the experience of moving one's body to the sound and rhythm of music is sooo exhilarating! not sure if dancing would enhance an accomplished musician as much as an early intermediate piano student like me though.

i started dancing lessons as a way to improve my rhythm, but it's been so much fun that i think i'll stay with it!

has anyone taken dancing lessons after they have already had some music playing experience? if so, did you feel dancing helped your piano playing?

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission