2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jgoo Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
This is a prelude that I've been playing for a couple of months now. I've got the first two pages down without a mistake, but on the last page, I run into some problems. I can play it, but I leave out most of the high right hand notes. My fingers just can't always reach that far! I play only the bottom two notes of the treble clef chords, and the repeating G# note in the bass clef with my right hand. Getting the bass clef chords with my left hand is no problem. Are there any ideas on how I can improve on this?

For off-topic discussion, please feel free to visit www.coffee-room.com
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
jgoo:

This really is a problem, because in the last 16 bars of the c# minor section the upper notes of the right hand are the melody, and what you are playing is essentially the accompaniment. I can only surmise that you have a small hand, for, except for six chords where the reach is a 9th, there is nothing more than an octave to span.

This is a piece where I don't see that anything can be left out; the g# has to be kept sounding as it gives the pulse that gives this piece is gentle but continuous impetus; the inner changing harmonies are essential to the texture and color of this section and, of course, the RH fifth finger has to keep the melody plaintively singing above all the rest.

Now that I've told you that IMHO you can't leave anything out, I don't have any suggestions as to how you can solve your problem. I hope some others will have some insight.

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Hi jgoo,

I think we may have the same size hand, as these octaves cramp my fingers sometimes too. But if you can span an octave, you should be able to get the middle fingers where they’re supposed to be. There’s two tiny tricks I use to make it a little easier: in bars 64-65 where the chord is g# a# c# and g#, you can take both the two lowest notes with your R-thumb, and where there’s a 9th reach in bars 72-75, I just skip the accompanying g# once; when you play it fluently, who’ll notice? I won’t let such a detail prevent me from playing this prelude altogether.

Hope this helps, regards, Thea

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission