2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Liscio Offline OP
OP Offline
Do any of you know of any famous pianists/composers who suffered from performance anxiety? - (besides Horowitz)

Thanks ~

B
B
According to Stephen Hough, Rachmaninoff was quite nervous when it came to performing.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Keith Jarrett's complaints about the piano are undoubted more to do with his stage fright than the piano. After all, who else cares that much. I suppose the same is true of Michaelangeli.

Henselt's stage fright was legendary.

A number of performers will take something before performing. I suspect that is why so many end up alcoholics or drug users. My favorite was Bobby Short, who stood at the stage doors, and announced "I think I need some more perfume!" and went back to his dressing room. He smelled very nice when he went out on the stage.

Semipro Tech
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally posted by Backle:
According to Stephen Hough, Rachmaninoff was quite nervous when it came to performing.
Yep, he had to be pushed on stage at times.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Chopin - he was notorious. He loved playing for small intimate groups where those who were really interested would draw near the piano and those who were not simply carried on - the family and social atmosphere in which he'd played from childhood, but get him in front of a paying audience and it was a totally different story. He felt suffocated by their eyes and their breath. He couldn't breathe. He agonized for weeks before a concert. After a public performance he was so emotionally and physically drained that he retreated for weeks afterwards. George Sand once said in exasperation that he'd only be happy playing in a totally dark hall on a totally muted piano.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, there's always Glenn Gould -- though one can argue whether it was stage fright or audience hate.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
V. Horowitz often experienced exceedingly bad bouts of nerves before stepping out on the stage.

B
B
Originally posted by Janus Sachs:
Well, there's always Glenn Gould -- though one can argue whether it was stage fright or audience hate.
In a 1958 interview with Hugh Thomson, Glenn Gould himself said that he was fortunate that he did not succumb to nervous tensions.

Straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak, that seems to imply quite strongly that it was indeed the latter.

No, Glenn was legimately anxious. He took medication for it. I experience the same shock when I get on stage. It is due to a solitary lifestyle, as was his.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by GlennGouldGirl:
[b] Well, there's always Glenn Gould -- though one can argue whether it was stage fright or audience hate.
No, Glenn was legimately anxious. He took medication for it. I experience the same shock when I get on stage. It is due to a solitary lifestyle, as was his. [/b]
I'll defer to your judgment, since I am not a Gould scholar by any means. But I do want to say that that, in my book, the two reasons I gave are equally "legitimate," and may be even related in certain individuals (though I am not saying that Gould was one of these).

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.
Y
yok Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Y
Henselt's stage fright was legendary.
A possibly apocryphal story has it that Henselt, when playing concertos with a long orchestral introduction, would rush on stage just before the first piano entry, such was his discomfort on stage.

Among contemporary pianists, Stephen Kovacevich is well known as a nervous performer. I have only heard him in concert once, in the Beethoven C major concerto and he was certainly quite fidgety to begin with. He fiddled a lot with the cushion on top of his very low stool before finally removing it somewhere in the middle of the first movement. He really only seemed to get fully focused by the cadenza (he played the very weird Beethoven one.)

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by yok:
A possibly apocryphal story has it that Henselt, when playing concertos with a long orchestral introduction, would rush on stage just before the first piano entry, such was his discomfort on stage.
And reportedly, he once forgot to remove his cigar before rushing out! (Isn't Schonberg's "The Great Pianists" a treasure trove of cool stuff?)
Among contemporary pianists, Stephen Kovacevich is well known as a nervous performer.
Martha Argerich, when turning pages for him in a chamber recital said: "I can hear the beatings of your heart!"

Jason
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
On the contrary Backle.

Although he had a rather introvert and shy personality, (from the anecdotes I read about him) he was very confident on stage.

Do you remember the anecdote when he played with Kreisler .. the "Where are we?" thing.

I also read of an anecdote in which he comforted a very nervous vocalist during a performance together.

But of course, nothing is guaranteed.
Anyone here saw Rachmaninoff in concert?

B
B
Originally posted by Bassio:
[b] According to Stephen Hough, Rachmaninoff was quite nervous when it came to performing.
On the contrary Backle.

Although he had a rather introvert and shy personality, (from the anecdotes I read about him) he was very confident on stage.

Do you remember the anecdote when he played with Kreisler .. the "Where are we?" thing.

I also read of an anecdote in which he comforted a very nervous vocalist during a performance together.

But of course, nothing is guaranteed.
Anyone here saw Rachmaninoff in concert? [/b]
I do indeed understand the logic behind that and I don't even necessarily disagree. I'd imagine it would be incredibly difficult to disagree when I have no real sources to substantiate my argument, after all. Apparently Stephen Hough does, though. I would recommend you talk to him, rather than kill the poor messenger that brought the unfavorable news, so to speak. :p

R
R
Does Helene Grimaud have stage fright or is there another reason she canceled concerts so often (in the mid '90 at least), preferably at the last minute?

Robert Kenessy

.. it seems to me that the inherent nature [of the piano tone] becomes really expressive only by means of the present tendency to use the piano as a percussion instrument - Béla Bartók, early 1927.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Argerich cancelled more concerts than she performed due to her health problems then. I have not heard anything regarding the nerve issue.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by argerichfan:
Martha Argerich, when turning pages for him [i.e. Kovacevich] in a chamber recital said: "I can hear the beatings of your heart!"
Given their history, isn't that just flirting? laugh

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Bassio:
Anyone here saw Rachmaninoff in concert?
Although I never saw Rachmaninoff in concert, my father did and loved to tell two stories about it. First, he apparently strolled onto the stage, sat down and immediately started playing -- no pause, no setting up, he just played, and played, and played. At the end the people were applauding and calling for an encore. He finally agreed and played a piece that, by that time in his life, he hated: his own Prelude in C-sharp minor.

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
Just wondering, how can all of these pianists perform so well, if under such nervous conditions? - I know when i'm nervous, my hands tend to shake.... How do they manage the accuracy they still acheive?

C H O P I N

"I Think Therefore I Am." - Rene Descartes
L
L
Originally posted by C H O P I N:
Just wondering, how can all of these pianists perform so well, if under such nervous conditions? - I know when i'm nervous, my hands tend to shake.... How do they manage the accuracy they still acheive?
I'd say it's pretty subjective. Nervous for one person might mean their heart beating a little faster, and another might be trembling all over their body :p

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission