2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (Bill McKaig,RPT, An Old Square, Cutec, 36251, clothearednincompo, brdwyguy, chaplincap, AndyG123, Abdol, Curt-S, 15 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Y
yok Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Y
An excerpt from an upcoming interview in Gramophone magazine, full of characteristic wit and wisdom, and a brief tribute from protegee Imogen Cooper.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"I once wrote a poem in which Beethoven murders Mozart in order to take full possession of the key of C minor."

I love this guy!

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i learned about Brendel only when i started to learn to play myself several years ago, and bought his Beethoven sonata CDs. i did finally see him playing live earlier this year in Cleveland as part of his final concert tour. he's still very fit and plays well at this age, incredible.

thanks for the articles!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
...yes, thanks for the articles, yok.

Like signa, I discovered Alfred Brendel and indeed Franz Schubert - properly - only recently, last year in fact, when I returned to the piano at the age of 56. But, what a discovery! Alfred Brendel is, for me, the world's No 1 concert pianist; indeed, this enigmatic, highly intelligent man is so much more than a pianist. He has championed primarily the German/Austrian repertoire over the years and is the authority on Schubert.

I have tried to compensate for all those 'lost' years by seeing Brendel three times this year in Germany - twice in Hamburg and once in Flensburg. I saw him for the final time only last week when he played Mozart's 'Jeunehomme' concerto K271 with the SWR Baden-Baden symphony orchestra. I will never forget this and the other concerts for as long as I live.

Appropriately, Alfred Brendel will make his two final appearances in Vienna tomorrow and Thursday, when he will play the 'Jeunehomme' with the Vienna Philharmonic under Sir Charles Mackerras - now that's going to be special!

As it said on the program cover last week... 'Danke Alfred Brendel'

Michael
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes his schubert is indispensable. Do not miss his Haydn CD. He is one of my favorite pianists.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by signa:
i learned about Brendel only when i started to learn to play myself several years ago, and bought his Beethoven sonata CDs. i did finally see him playing live earlier this year in Cleveland as part of his final concert tour. he's still very fit and plays well at this age, incredible.

thanks for the articles!
I'm curious, what did he play?

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Daniel's citation above is great, about Beethoven murdering Mozart to co-opt the key of c minor. I'd really like to read the full poem.

This is my favorite citation from the interview:
I have always felt actors to be an inspiration. On stage, they have to turn into a character, to impersonate many different characters: I feel they are my colleagues. Some musicians do not appear to have thought about it, or maybe it is not taught that you cannot sit there starting the Moonlight Sonata with a smile on your face.
I was arguing in these threads, a year or so ago, that young pianists and their teachers ignore stage demeanor and deportment to their peril. This quote gives a little weight to my case.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mind if I intrude?

I have heard a number of Brendel recordings, including some Beethoven, Schubert, Stravinsky, Mussorgsky, and Liszt, and I found them terrifyingly dull.

Am I alone?

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Fleeting Visions:

Am I alone?
no

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Mind if I intrude?

I have heard a number of Brendel recordings, including some Beethoven, Schubert, Stravinsky, Mussorgsky, and Liszt, and I found them terrifyingly dull.

Am I alone?
No... but I rather think in the minority. smile

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Ridicolosamente:
Originally posted by signa:
[b] i learned about Brendel only when i started to learn to play myself several years ago, and bought his Beethoven sonata CDs. i did finally see him playing live earlier this year in Cleveland as part of his final concert tour. he's still very fit and plays well at this age, incredible.

thanks for the articles!
I'm curious, what did he play? [/b]
he was playing Beethoven piano concerto 3, pretty good except, as i remember, the 2nd movement a little more percussive rather than singing legato.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Am I alone?
Yes and no, Daniel, my good mate. Brendel's writings would lead one to believe that he's superior as a pianist in any of his selected repertoire. But I have not found that to be the case with either his recordings or live performances.

Some years ago I attended an all Schubert recital with Brendel. It was rather a bore, the closing D784 having a very perfunctory, frustrating finish.

Why anyone would do an all Schubert recital is frankly beyond me... the music -as great as some of it is- simply lacks enough variety (Wanderer Fantasy excepted...but that's not primo Schubert, is it?) to sustain interest throughout a whole recital.

Everyone goes hog-wild over the great, grand depths of the slow movement in Schubert's D959, but do we need to go through it again in the D960? They would frankly cancel each other out. Schubert's precious profundity gets cloying the moment he overstays his welcome.

Lightning strikes once, and I can think of no other great composer whose major works are best taken one at a time.

Jason
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Here is an article about Brendel's upcoming final performance.

John
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Mind if I intrude?

Am I alone?
I only really understood why he was considered so wonderful when I finally heard him live. My response to his recordings up until then was pretty variable, when none really exciting me. But even live, many people don't "get" his playing, even if they respect it. I think you have to be a certain kind of listener with a certain kind of musical interest to really hear what he does. Had I heard him live in my twenties or thirties, I probably would have reacted much as you do. Anyway, once I found the wavelength he was operating on, I realized he was one of the handful of truly great living pianists. He actually changed my concept of what you can communicate through music, and it's been extremely rare for a performer to do that for me since my early years. But I totally understand why people may not agree.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally posted by Ridicolosamente:
"I once wrote a poem in which Beethoven murders Mozart in order to take full possession of the key of C minor."

I love this guy!
That's funny, I was just about to use that quote for the opposite effect!

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Mind if I intrude?

Am I alone?
Absolutely you are not. Listening to his Beethoven sonatas makes baby Jesus cry.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I happened to aurally assimilate Beethoven's piano sonatas via Brendel's first Philips cycle. Although it's no longer my absolute favorite Beethoven sonata cycle (for now that goes to Kovacevich's), I still think it's very solid. It's also interesting to compare how his interpretations changed from work to work when he recorded the cycle again for Philips.

As for baby Yahshua (a.k.a. "Jesus") and his pathétique, I mean pathetic tiny tears -- well, I'm agnostic, so such matters don't matter much to me!

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally posted by Janus Unrepentant Scrooge:
I happened to aurally assimilate Beethoven's piano sonatas via Brendel's first Philips cycle. Although it's no longer my absolute favorite Beethoven sonata cycle (for now that goes to Kovacevich's), I still think it's very solid. It's also interesting to compare how his interpretations changed from work to work when he recorded the cycle again for Philips.

As for baby Yahshua (a.k.a. "Jesus") and his pathétique, I mean pathetic tiny tears -- well, I'm agnostic, so such matters don't matter much to me!
Agnostic = a + gnostic = without knowledge

Not something I'd personally want to label myself as. Using the modern usage, it seems to me that if one is agnostic, one wouldn't be sure whether one would want to commit oneself to a position regarding Yahshua or anything religious.

At any rate, I didn't mean to offend anyone with the baby Jesus comment.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Iain:
Using the modern usage, it seems to me that if one is agnostic, one wouldn't be sure whether one would want to commit oneself to a position regarding Yahshua or anything religious.
Which is why I said that it doesn't matter much to me. I'm of the "don't know, don't care" school of agnosticism.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Factory silent options
by Gombessa - 01/26/22 11:23 AM
History of Yamaha U1 price
by VeritasNL - 01/26/22 10:25 AM
Where to find a concert grand to play
by Keyburn - 01/26/22 08:42 AM
17th Adilia Alieva International Music Competition
by Alex-Peter - 01/26/22 06:21 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,362
Posts3,164,093
Members104,170
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission