Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Tea Light
Tea Light with Frosted Music Staff Candle Holder

-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
58 registered members (AZNpiano, Candywoman, 16 invisible), 1,082 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I need some advice! #442404
10/20/03 09:52 PM
10/20/03 09:52 PM
Mr. Gould Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Mr. Gould  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Hey everyone I havn't posted here in a while.
Its probably because I have lost my passion and love for piano over the last few months.
I like Jazz (which I hated) now. And all my feelings for the music of bach, mozart, chopin, -etc- has vanished into thin air. Has this happened to anyone?

I would like to take a break from royal conservatory (i'm in grade 9) but theres one big problem. My dad says if I quit RCM he will sell the piano, and treat me like ****
What should I do? I have tried to regain my passion but no matter how long I play its just not there, and I hate it. My dad says that I can finish grade 9 cause he thinks I can teach later when I am univeristy. YEAH RIGHT... LIke someone would want me, even if its for the child thats just beginning. He hates the fact that I just started going to this great teacher and I want to quit. I want to take piano as a hobby. Maybe in 10-15 years when I have a steady job I can regain my technique with some Hannon my teacher gave me. Then I could just play jazz or whatever I like in the future. Well anyways this is my problem.

I would love to hear some advice from others, since I feel very lost.
frown frown

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: I need some advice! #442405
10/20/03 10:31 PM
10/20/03 10:31 PM
Australia
S
starmender Offline
starmender  Offline
S
Australia
Why don't you change to Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music? They have parallel classical and jazz syllabusses. Perhaps you could alternate year to year.

Or perhaps you shoud give up exams for a while.

Tell your really good teacher how jaded you feel, and ask for advice. There is a lot of music you might enjoy that falls within the parameters your father will accept, but is much more jazzy in its sound.

I understand your father's anxiety. He may feel that you have gained this terrific advantage in life through your music, and he doesn't want you to waste that.

I would start with a good talk to your teacher, when no-one else is there. All teachers have had to deal with parents as well as kids.

Re: I need some advice! #442406
10/20/03 10:38 PM
10/20/03 10:38 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Auckland, New Zealand
What's wrong with your studying jazz ? Does your father have a bias against it ? If so I suppose that could make it a bit awkward. However, he must realise that you have to be happy in life whatever you do. If making a few bob is all he's worried about then jazz would be just as good a bet as classical wouldn't it ? I don't really see the difference. Do you have legislation preventing unqualified people from teaching there ? Switching to jazz didn't seem to do Brubeck much harm. I seem to recall another post quite a while ago wherein you said your father complained about you playing the piano at all.

If my son had been as interested in music as you are, classical, jazz or anything, I certainly wouldn't have complained. It all sounds a bit dramatic, just play whatever you want to play, I did. I just worked on the waterfront, bought my own grand and stuff what my parents thought.

On rereading the last sentence I realise that what was appropriate for me may not be right for you. I don't know your circumstances. But what you want to do is important - it's your life and your music.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: I need some advice! #442407
10/20/03 10:57 PM
10/20/03 10:57 PM
Renauda Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Renauda  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
CP not to worry it happens- what you have already accomplished no one but no one can take away from you. If you find yourself inclining towards Jazz then fine- by all means pursue it, but in order to do so you may have to make a few compromises.

First stand back from the Royal Conservatory syllabus and determine just what it is that you are getting out of it. Secondly, if I'm not mistaken RCM is flexible enough that you and your teacher can find some pieces that are not in the syllabus to be played at the exams. It's a matter of finding grade equivalent pieces and submitting them in advance to examinations board. If you are inclining towards Jazz there are some great Astor Piazolla tangos and other 20th Latin American music that would easily receive board approval, be classical enough for your teacher but are still jazz. Why not look too at some Gershwin while you are it? See there is more than one way to approach this predicament and still maximize your benefit.

You have made it to grade 9 RCM that means that there is only one year to go before ARTC. Your father wishes you to continue and I think deep down you also want to continue on and finish the task yourself. If your heart is set on jazz you will play it anyway- in the meantime what's the rush? Enjoy the challenge in front of you and meet it creatively. Chin up. thumb

"The older the fiddle, the sweeter the music"~ Augustus McCrae
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: I need some advice! #442408
10/20/03 11:13 PM
10/20/03 11:13 PM
NE
A
Ariel Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Ariel  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
NE
(Very OT, Sorry others)

Classical Player,

So...You were promising to give a report on your summer in Turkey. How was it? Hope you had a great time and ate enough Doner Kebab for a few years. Those Turkish fathers! (Maybe answer in the Coffee Room - somehow laugh )

Ariel

If this is coffee, bring me tea. If this is tea, bring me coffee.
~Abraham Lincoln~
Re: I need some advice! #442409
10/21/03 12:43 AM
10/21/03 12:43 AM
Mr. Gould Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Mr. Gould  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the great replies everyone.
Well the problem isn't that my dad hates Jazz. -He likes it!-
He believes that the only reason for me quiting RCM is because I am lazy. (btw I am also doing history, which is really horrible since the life of the composers no longer intrests me. And I suck at memorizing laugh )
I AM NOT LAZY!!!!!!!!! last year I did 3 grades of theory, learned ALL of the proper technique (which I have never done before in m life) including scales, arppegios etc... sightreading, and all the other basic things my previous teachers had never taught me all in 8 months. I did all this because I had passion for the music, I loved it and I would do anything to get better. But now thats all gone, and I have no desire to do any of it.

I understand your father's anxiety. He may feel that you have gained this terrific advantage in life through your music, and he doesn't want you to waste that.

Exactly, but he is acting way out of line. He doesn't understand that I have no time to go all the way. I have absolutely no time finish the RCM before I graduate from high school (which is also a pain in the ass, since they expect straight A's from me). And he doesn't understand that I just want to do this as a hobby. He now doesn't talk to me, and threatening to sell the piano if I dont continue theory and RCM. He thinks that he spent so much time and money in my piano that I owe it to him to do finish RCM. cursing Hes also angry that I decided to quit (as he calls it) after my lessons has started. I did this because I wanted to see if I would regain my love for the music. Which didn't happen. Personally I think I have done absolutely NOTHING wrong. All I have said was I want a change in my musical path and all heck broke out in my house. I have not told my teacher yet, so on wenesday I will have a one- on one talk with her and see what she has to say!

No Problem Ariel! Turkey was great. I ate plenty of DONER!!!! and I have a couple pics to prove it laugh So far it was the best vacation of my life. Weather was beautiful and food was great. hahaha. Maybe if I have time I will scan some pictures and put them in the Coffee Room.

Re: I need some advice! #442410
10/21/03 01:10 AM
10/21/03 01:10 AM
Seattle, Washington, USA
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
jgoo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Seattle, Washington, USA
CP, glad to see that you're posting again! Anyway, if your new passion is Jazz, then you should do that instead. Maybe someday, you'll come back around to classical, but for now, if Jazz is what you want to do then Jazz is what you should do. Just explain this to your dad and see what he says. AndiIf he's understading, he will let you take time off from RCM if you want... hopefully...

For off-topic discussion, please feel free to visit www.coffee-room.com

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai RX6 heavy action
by Radio.Octave. 06/23/18 03:50 PM
Accident-prone accidentals in printed music
by FrankCox. 06/23/18 02:01 PM
Reyburn Grand Cyberhammer
by Miguel Rey. 06/23/18 12:37 PM
Should I say goodbye?
by eyeluvlucy. 06/23/18 11:48 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,108
Posts2,726,956
Members90,435
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission