2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,177 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#439896 07/24/01 10:41 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

» Hello, pianoloverus [ log out ] Piano World » Piano Forum » Will my piano be too big for the room?

I am thinking about getting a 7' piano but am concerned it might be too big for my living room. My only concerns are acoustic (I have very little furniture in the room). The living room is 12' by 19' with 8' ceilings. It opens onto a small dining area that is 7' by 9'. There is no wall between living room and dining room (together they form an L-shaped area). The living room has thin wall to wall carpet. I would be playing the piano almost exclusively with the lid down, perhaps very occasionally with the lid half way up. Do you think the piano could be inappropriate for the space it will be in? Can all pianos be voiced down to a level appropriate for this space without destroying the tone?
Thank you for your help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All times are Eastern Standard

Hop To: Select a Forum:Piano ForumPianist CornerPiano Tuner-Technician's ForumMusicians Welcome!Mechanical Musical InstrumentsDigital Pianos - Synths & KeyboardsOrgans - Electronic, Pipe & TheatreForum Archives

Contact Us | Piano World | Privacy Statement
copyright 2001 Piano World all rights reserved

Powered by Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

#439897 07/24/01 01:23 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
A teacher of mine had a second-hand concert grand in a relatively modest home living room. Everybody who visited said that the piano was painfully loud. Eventually, this teacher traded the concert grand in on a new Steinway B. Better, but still too loud. The lid was kept up, and the piano was placed parallel to a very large picture window with minimal curtains.

I think the piano would have been OK with heavy curtains on the window, the lid down part of the time, and a tad of voicing (which I think has been done since my contact with the piano). This teacher primarily taught at a university that had heavy acoustic tiling in the studios with 7' pianos. So, she probably wanted a more ringing sound at home.

[ July 24, 2001: Message edited by: MacDuff ]

#439898 07/25/01 01:58 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
pianoloverus,

I have a 7' piano in a small living room and have no problem at all. The important thing is to have the piano voiced properly and you'll be fine. As you said, you always have the option to close the lid, but I really don't think you'll need to--some of the time anyway.

As far as pianos are concerned, bigger is better---don't let that scare you. I've heard (and played) 9' Steinway D's in smallish living rooms (voiced nicely) that were perfect. They looked a bit large, but the sound...

Go for it!!!
Mat D.

#439899 07/25/01 01:23 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Aren't Steinway Ds said to fall into three categories (by their innate tonal quality and voicing capability): "orchestra," "recital/concerto," and "chamber?"

The orchestra piano has alot of raw power and volume, but not as much "finesse." So, it good for sitting in the back of an orchestra and playing piano parts within an orchestral score.

The solo/concerto instrument is ideal for solo recitals and concerto playing in front of an orchestra. It has great projection and clarity of tone, and dynamic range.

The chamber piano has a mellow, warm tone that sounds good in intimate surroundings, but does not project. Best for small halls, homes, chamber music concerts.

#439900 07/26/01 08:16 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I play a 7' heintzman and I have it in a relatively small room... probably quite close to your room size, and i've never had a problem even with the lid up, my concern would be the lack of any furnishings which may create more echo or reverberation than you want...but that easily fixed...
interesting note....the lowest string on a piano which plays if i remember correctly at 18.5 hz. generates a sound wave 30' in diameter.... so technically in order to maximize the acoustic possibilities of your piano to the utmost you'd need a room at least 30' by 30' just to fully generate the sound wave...

really you shouldn't have any problems though

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission