2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
hi i have some of my compositions i would like to put on here. They are on my computer but I how do i put it on my message??????????
thanks

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Wish that I knew. I'd probably do something like that too.

For off-topic discussion, please feel free to visit www.coffee-room.com
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah I really want people to hear my compositions!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Classical Player:
Yeah I really want people to hear my compositions!

I think that if you just put up the sheet music like you would any picture, it might work. But I think that you have to put it online first. Just thought of that one. We'll have to try it some time.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
So they would just learn it by reading the music from the sheet?
I dont know, it would be very difficult to sight read my etude..

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Wow. You wrote something that difficult?!? I'm impressed. I thought that some of my work was difficult, but to not be able to easily sight read it. Anyways, I don't think that you can get sound on here. You'll have to put a sound file of it on the internet and then put a link to it on your post for people to hear it.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'd like to see your etude sheet music.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ha I see.

So I have to make a webpage.
And then put all of my stuff on there and link it up with here.. hmmmmm I dont know why we cant put sound on here directly. Oh Well...

About the composition...
What I meant by sight reading was to sit down on the piano and start playing it easily

My etude, which I am 80 percent through is very fast moving up and down the piano. kind of like copin op. 10 N.1

But of course it doesn't sound as beatiful!

What kind of music do u compose?

I find that i can make very nice melodies with my right hand, but I can do anything with my left! I just cant join them together nicely, its very difficult.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
My left hand tends to be repetitive ~!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
My compostitions range from easy to difficult. They all differ in length. Most of my works are very simple. I like to use broken and/or chords in the bass clef. Sometimes I do other things with the base clef, but thats what I do mostly. I have some with a walking base clef too. Anyways, maybe we could ask Frank (the pianoworld web master) if there is a way to put on sound and/or sheet music.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Yes I tend to do the same thing in the bass clef...

I always think that its not good enough becuase I am always trying comparing my music to Beethovens or chopin... Its not the best thing to do because it lowers your spirit! frown

I barely know anything about writing the music I play! So I memorize everything...
I didn't have a great teacher and he didn't teach me much theory, so I am studying greatly to catch up...

Do u play the music, and then write it down?

And finally yes, we should ask Frank about the music, i am interested in hearing your compositions.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
You need to find a web host. There are many such sites on the internet where you can leave image or sound files to be linked to from a forum such as this.

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Classical Player: Yes, I do write down what I compose. I also just memorize. Just about everything, however, ends up at one point or another getting put into the sibelius notation program that I use in my midi-lab class at school. Now, please stay around for a while. I'm going to write an extreamly long post about theory and writing music. The stuff that I learned in my midi-lab class, which is composition, really.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
BRYAN: where can I find one of these sites?
do u know any sites ?? if u do please tell me! thanks..

jgoo: ok i will wait

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Jgoo: hey I gotta go take a shower I will be back so dont leave i will probably reply to what u wrote!!!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
For compostion, here are some simple guide-lines that you should follow:

Guidlines for simple melody writing:

1) Rhythm. Keep the rhythem simple, with durations being equal to or longer than the duration of the beat. The final note should occur on a strong beat.

2) Harmony. Every melody note should belong to the chord that is to harmonize it.

3) Contour. The melody should be primarily conjunct (stepwise). The shape of the melody should be interesting but clear and simple, with a single focul point, the highest note of the melody.

4) Leaps.

a) Avoid augmented intervals, 7ths, and intervals larger then a perfect octave. Diminished intervals may be used if the melody changes direction by step immediately after the interval.

b)A melodic interval larger than a perfect 4th is usually best approached and left in the direction opposite to the leap.

c) When smaller leaps are used consecutivley in the same direction, they should outline a triad.

5) Tendency tones. In tonal music, 7 has a strong tendency to move up to 1. An exception to this is the scalewise line descending from 1: 1-7-6-5. The only other tendency tone that needs to be considered is 4, which often moves down to 3, but not with the regularity with which 7 goes to 1.

Sorry about this, but you have to kind of already know what some of this stuff means before you can know what that above means. I don't know how to explain it right now, I was just copying that off of my midi-lab assignment sheet. I hope that I didn't confuse you. Anyway, try also useing chord inversion. Not too much, but enough to make the piece interesting. Intervals are basically the numbers of the notes. For example, in the treble clef and starting with middle C and going up, you get: C-1st D-2nd, E-3rd, F-4th, G-5th, A-6th, B-7th, C-8th. Sorry if I've just further confused things. Okay, I will have to work on a more original set of rules that are more comprehendable to post here. Plus, I wanted to put rules up for more complex stuff, but thats all that I could find for now. I'll try to simplify it as much as possible and then post it as soon as possible. That could take days, so don't be dissipointed if its not there soon.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Classical Player:
Jgoo: hey I gotta go take a shower I will be back so dont leave i will probably reply to what u wrote!!!

Okay, I'll wait.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ok i am back let me read your post

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Well yes u confused me a little.... :rolleyes:
I think I know what intervals are with the chords.

Do u think of, or follow these rules when composing? Even if i did master these rules I still might not think of them much.
Before i start and compose i always hum(sp)
the main melodie to my self, and then I hum some other little melodies which I can add to the main melodie...

Is this program u have at school give off a normal piano sound or a midi sound? I have a program called noteworthy. It has the most annoying midi sound I cant stand it. And it takes so long to put down the notes.

Also I was wondering how much you practice the piano daily, I used to practice half an hour, but now I practise 2+ hours....

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
When I compose on my own, I pay little to no attention to those rules. When its for class, however, my teacher doesn't really like when I don't bide by the rules, but will let it slide once in a while if it "sounds better than what rules can do". I'll write an installment of my own rules and try to keep it as simple as possible, but as I said, it may not be for a while before I can get around to doing that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission